Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Favorite Decorations from Childhood

Discussion in 'Retro' started by momnan30, Mar 8, 2011.

1. momnan30

momnan30 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I was born in 1955 and so my fondest memories of Christmas as a child are really early sixties to around 1968 or so. Midnight Mass after a big Italian meal at my Aunt Mary's house followed by coming home to a twinkling aluminum tree with magenta pink ornaments and a color wheel gently illuminating the shimmering branches made me feel so happy.
    Those were some special times...how about you friends? Do you remember special decorations from childhood that have stayed in the corner of your mind all these years?
    :tree:

HollyJolly, snowflake22, Ryan and 7 others like this.
  2. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

Yes ... I wish I had those boxes of Shiny Brite ornaments that adorned the tree every year, and the old, very fragile bell that hung on the top branch ... I bought a box of the repro Shiny Brites from Radko, but they're not just exactly right.

3. momnan30

I know what you mean...it's like you can never quite grab the excitement and beauty remembered from childhood...it's elusive, but yet so special to keep those memories alive.

4. rodmonster

rodmonster Santa's Personal Trainer MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

yup

I was a kid in the 70s - so i had decorations spanning from the 50s to 80s with my family.
    Needless to say the bubble lights, handmade ornaments, aluminum tree, tinsel, plastic popcorn, etc type decorations have all been repurchased from Ebay or handed down - so i can continue to enjoy the season as i remember it as a kid

5. xmas365

xmas365 Wants to build the second castle on the left MMC Lifer

I was a young kid in the late 70's and the 80's but I will always have a special place in my memory for bubble lights and C7 ceramic colored bulbs, those are the things I remember most from my childhood about Christmas, I bought some bubble lights for my tree this past year, and have had the C7's on my tree every year except for one, (I tried the LED C7's one year but they did not have the effect I like) I will probably always have them on. I have no ornaments or decorations from my youth due to circumstances at the time around my mothers passing, they probably ended up being thrown out 20 years ago.

6. George Broderick, Jr.

George Broderick, Jr. Guest

I grew up in the Sixties and remember the "big thing" then was those silver/white trees with the spinning multi-color light disks... we never had one, but I always thought they were kinda cool and still do today...

HollyJolly, Mom21, lauriebear and 4 others like this.
  7. MerryBells

MerryBells wants turkey! MMC Lifer

My favorite decoration was my Mom's bubble light set. She had this 'real looking' (by 60's standards) little plastic tree to put them on, and some old world war 2 era ornaments. I loved them, and the only problem was when one burned out they all went out.

HollyJolly, Mom21, lauriebear and 4 others like this.
  8. momnan30

My aunt had a bubble light tree and I was absolutely fascinated with those things!
    Oh such sweet memories- just a whole different time and so magical!
    Thanks for sharing your memories, too.

9. caninemom3

caninemom3 MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013) MMC Lifer MMC Emeritus Member

I was born in 1954 and Christmas decorations were a lot different when I was growing up than they are now, of course. I guess the one decoration I remember is a tree topper my dad had gotten when I was maybe 8 or 9. It looked like a star but the center of it was round and inside that there was a color wheel that went around when it was plugged in and projected pretty colored lights all over the room !! It was not the prettiest thing to look at but it made the neatest effects !!! I also have an ornament I used to just LOVE from when I was a kid. An Old ornament from the 1940s when our country was at war. It is made of plastic because the glass at that time was used for the war effort. It is purple and has writing on one side that says X-Mas Greetings and on the other side candles.

I always mention it when asked about Christmas past because my mom gave it to me. It is one of the most precious items to me that I own.

10. ballcoach

ballcoach Guest

My Mom has the North Pole collection from Dept 56 and has been collecting them since I was a kid. Those are my favorite decorations!

11. momnan30

What a treasure this must be. Thanks for sharing such precious memories.

4 people like this.
  12. Christmasstar

Christmasstar one Crazy Canadian ! MMC Lifer

my mom gave us each some of those old decorations that where always on the tree growing up. I have one made out of colored glass wired together that is now so fragile all I can do is display it in its box. But it is one of my most treasured ornaments. I will take a picture of it to share later. It is from the early 50's

HollyJolly, lauriebear and rodmonster like this.
  13. Christmas-A-Holic

Christmas-A-Holic MMC Goodwill Ambassador MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew

When I was 6 or 7 years old my mom let me pick out an ornament. I picked out an angel made of felt. I still have her and she hangs at the very top of my tree every year. It's not a fancy ornament but very special to me.

novelist, lauriebear and rodmonster like this.
  14. One Spoiled Brat

One Spoiled Brat Santa Clausologist Merry Forums Member

I love and still use the blown glass ornaments my Oma & Opa hung on their tree when I was young .....Beautiful they are.....God bless each of you.....Smiles

3 people like this.
  15. MsChristmas

MsChristmas MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Well..I was born in the 80's... my Mom has always loved bubble lights and they remind me of when I was younger.... I also like my ornaments my Brother used to buy me each year..they arent really old since Im only in my 20's now but they are special...

2 people like this.
  16. reindeerelf

reindeerelf Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Lifer

My earliest Christmas memories are from the late 50's. My mom had four light blue reindeer highlighted with gold glitter that were about 10 inches high. She would arrange them with evergreen boughs in our bay window that was surrounded with little white twinkle lights from Germany. (Imagine something like that that was not made in China!) I thought it was very cool.

2 people like this.
  17. Bradmac

Bradmac It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year! MMC Lifer

I was a kid in the late 60's - early 70's. My favorite memory of a decoration was a cardboard fireplace. Dad was in the army, and few base houses had fireplaces. I was concerned that Santa couldn't get in the house without a fireplace. Mom & dad found a cardboard fireplace that had a colorwheel behind the painted flames.

They assured me that Santa could use it, even though there was no chimney...and it always worked!

I just found a video of THE SAME FIREPLACE!!!

[youtube_browser]Sct7zhnBGdc[/youtube_browser]

Oh, my. This takes me back.

8 people like this.
  18. Christmas-A-Holic

Christmas-A-Holic MMC Goodwill Ambassador MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew

Brad, Santa can do anything! =)

Contented, lauriebear and rodmonster like this.
  19. MsChristmas

MsChristmas MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Brad we have an electric fireplace in our basement..no other fireplace in the house...no chimney of course but we tell our Boys the same thing.. although last year my almost 4 year old said "theres no chimney" so just to be safe we have a secret key we leave on the front porch so Santa can get in cheesy

20. HomemakinGirl

HomemakinGirl North Pole Domestic Goddess MMC Lifer

We had the cardboard fireplace too! I was young in the 70's but I also remember the silver Christmas tree that we had. Too funny.