Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Favorite Decorations from Childhood

Discussion in 'Retro' started by momnan30, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Laney

Laney MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

My favorite decorations have to be the stockings that our grandma crocheted for each of us in our family and then the Christmas candles that we got to put out. There was one of a gingerbread house and one of Santa's sleigh. I don't know why those specifically stick out to me, but they do. I also loved the nativity set and repositioning them every day!
    ~Laney

1 person likes this.
  2. lauriebear

lauriebear Christmas Royalty Merry Forums Member

I don't have much from my childhood, it wasn't a time I like to remember either, but I somehow did save a few items that meant a lot to my mother. I have these two white glass doves, I believe they belong to my grandmother, but I cannot really confirm that. I also saved this plastic house with Santa waving and a gold colored reindeer that was part of a chime, the chimes are all gone but I still have the house and I put it in my window display. I also have this Christmas Carol book with music notes and the words, my mother wrote in it so that is why I kept it.

I read every post and I think you all have some really wonderful memories. I now keep Christmas very dear to me. I have ornaments that I have found in antique stores and yard sales, not to mention the few that I purchase or were given to me a gifts. It is a very important time of year, and I hold it very close to my heart. Everything I put on my tree has a special meaning and a reason.

3. RavenHardt

RavenHardt Sugar Cookie Tester MMC Lifer

Loved the little pixies that hung from the tree

Posted from my BlackBerry

4. samjohn1989

samjohn1989 Merry Forums Newbie Merry Forums Member

when i think of christmas as a child, all i remember is the wonder of the tree. me and my mother would decorate the tree to perfection. the gold beads, little soldier men, doves, violins and trumpets, and reindeer. but the one thing that was my tradition was to put the angel on top of the tree. i get this warm fussy feeling every time i put that angel on the tree. just the memory of my dad lifting me up as i couldent reach. also we had a christmas diary tha woul sit underneath the tree with the presents. every christmas eve we would write in there about all our hopes and feelings for the next coming year and about what we were most thankful for. on christmas day we would read through all the previous entry's and feel greatful for everything we had together as a family.:))

5. candysprinkles

candysprinkles Reindeer Pooper Scooper Merry Forums Member

The first thing I thought of was bubble lights, too. I remember my aunt making all us kids some LifeSaver Ornaments one year. Most years we would string popcorn and cranberries.

6. theraglady

theraglady Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member

I enjoyed reading all of your Christmas memories. I think i must be older then most of you. My favorite ornament was a deperssion era clear blue glass ball. I wish I still had it. I have been searching ebay for another.

I also remember seeing from the window a tree in our neighborhood that was all blue lights and thinking it was beautiful. It has taken me years, but this year I will have a tree with all blue lights and all silver and blue ornaments.

7. Classic Christmas

Classic Christmas Eggnog Chugger Merry Forums Member

Great topic!

I have so, so many favorite decorations from my childhood ( mid-70's to early-80s). But the one that still gives me that little 'jump' of excitement when I see it, all these years later, is this one:

[​IMG]

Mom21 likes this.
  8. swmrsc

swmrsc Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member

My Aunt had Bubble Lights.
    Never quite got the concept, but it was fine for her.
    We always had regular small twinkle lights.
    Now, I have my much beloved Chili lights that I put on the tree every year.
    One strand Red and one Strand Multi - Color.

9. frostyman

frostyman Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer

I have some from the 60's and 70's. my little wind up Santa that rings a bell. my wind up music box that plays Jingle Bells as it goes around. I have two ceramic carolers that date way back, they were my moms. I really cherish those things and the memories attached to them.

10. GingerMel

GingerMel Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer

For me, it was the bubble lights as well. I love those things!

I was super excited when they started making them and having them in stores again because I only had one old set from my mother and they were starting to get old enough to be a fire hazard.

Anyone else have to sometimes shake their bulbs to get them to bubble?

About the C7 bulbs...I also REALLY love those. I think there's nothing that makes a tree look more retro than C7 bulbs and bubble lights. But I don't like the large C9s that are orange, blue, red, and white...the ones that are sorta opaque. I LOVE the ones that are more jewel-colored. They bulbs are colored but clear. Anyway....those remind me of being a kid SO much.

I also have a little apple Christmas ornament that my mom gave me. It says "Melanie 1981" on it. Apparently I got it in class when I was a kid (because back then kids could actually still make Christmas ornaments/decorations in school).

frostyman likes this.
  11. Jangle

Jangle Christmas Fan Merry Forums Member

I want one!! :cold:

I love the retro stuff. :) If there's anything that takes me back, it's that. Alot of our ornaments when I was a kid were hand-me-downs from my Nana and Papa, so very, very retro. :D

The ones I loved the most as a kid were the ones I wasn't allowed to touch - mom's favourites, lol. She had some ukranian style painted papier mache eggs and a bell, and some little ceramic bells that were shaped like elfs and Mrs. Claus, etc. If I ever had the chance, I would get a set of those bells for my own tree.

frostyman likes this.
  12. ChristmasFanatic2

ChristmasFanatic2 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member Christmas Talk Alum

I was born in '65 and so my parent's and grandparent's as well as Aunts and Uncles had the most awesome decorations! From silver trees with the color wheels, to pixie elves nesting in trees and on lamps, to cardboard fireplaces to ceramic Christmas trees, to those awesome Japanese centerpieces of Santa or choir children and snowmen to melted plastic popcron decorations. I love them all!

frostyman and snowflake22 like this.
  13. MarthaK

MarthaK Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

I grew up through the 60's and 70's. My dad loved hunting and every year he would be at camp the week of Thanksgiving and come back home for Thanksgiving Day with a fresh cut tree for our Christmas.
    My mom would decorate it with solid blue C-7 lights because it was my dad's favorite color and it would be choked with lead icicles. I still remember Mom showing me how to place them, just a strand or two, to the tips of each branch.
    Another memory for me from those years were LeeWards plastic boxwood garlands that draped our staircase and the bead ornament and plastic canvas ornament kits. I still have many that I made through the years, along with the painted plaster ornaments I made in school - they are super tacky-looking, like the sheep decorated with red glitter, but precious all the same.

frostyman and snowflake22 like this.
  14. Mom21

Mom21 Twinkle Light Checker MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Bubble lights were my hands down favorites! I don't know why I can't bring myself to buy any now.

snowflake22 and frostyman like this.
  15. joyful

joyful MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I was a child during the 1950's and my favorite decorations were 12 small glass bells and it was my job to hang them up for Christmas. They were small but pretty. I don't know what happened to the bells but I do have my parents church that lights up and it was always under our tree. The church is very old. Also I treasure a homemade decoration that my mother bought from a relatives brother. It's a white lamp post made of wood with a felt elf sitting on the base, it's about 12 inches high and has a light. My parents had two so I kept one and gave one to my daughter. There were made in the 1960's and my mother was so pleased with them.

snowflake22 likes this.
  16. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler MMC Emeritus Member

A ancient set of bubble lights always adorned our tree. Glass ornaments with the colors cracking. We always had real trees so there was a heavy tree stand that I had to setup. But of all the memories it was of the huge Christams village that was setup in the living room and the male/female skaters that moved around a mirror pond as if by magic.

snowflake22 likes this.
  17. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

Bubble lights stand out to me. I remember the year my father got those.

We also had a blow mould Santa and a santa in a sleigh with a bag of gifts and reindeer that I loved putting out. We also had some candy canes that hung on the tree that were frosted and looked like they were sprinkled with sugar. They had a tiny shiny gift that hung at the bottom of each. I loved those!

Every decoration from back then fills be with such joy and nostalgia and that wonderful christmassy feeling. Those days were so special. If only I could go back to my childhood for just one more Christmas ....

snowflake22 likes this.
  18. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

My Mother did not have a real good childhood, so our Christmas' was over the top. My parents always had a train circle the Christmas tree. And my Dad loved the fact that the Christmas tree lights could be sent on a timer. I had wonderful Christmas memories and some of them are from the decorations. I was a child of the 80s and we had ALL the Christmas decorations; every time imaginable. So much fun... not cheesy.

Holiday likes this.
  19. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

I just saw this - had to pull it up. How cool to have as a kid! FUN!!!

20. Ornamentmaven

Ornamentmaven Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class Merry Forums Member

As I was born in 1956, most of my childhood Christmas memories are from the 60's. My parents always decorated their tree with round glass ornaments only. One year when I was 6 or 7 my Mom bought my sister and I each a small pine cone ornament - shaped into a bird. Mine was painted light blue and my sister's was pink. The first non-traditional ornaments on our tree!I still place it on the very front of my tree each year- a bit worse for wear (no tail) - but it was my first "whimsical" ornament!

Contented and Holiday like this.