Football and Thanksgiving-Do you love it or hate it?

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
Deep in the Heart of Texas!
Who all here feel that Thanksgiving would not be the same without football? Some love football and some hate it. Would love to hear from both because I am curious how everyone feels.

I LOVE IT! It has been a tradition of mine to watch the Dallas Cowboys play on Thanksgiving Day. I do not feel it's Thanksgiving without football and I am a die hard Cowboys fan. I have been to 2 Cowboys games on Thanksgiving Day and got to see the John Madden turkey, I sure am going to miss Madden. The first one I went to is when Tom Landry was coach and the second one was when Jimmy Johnson was coach.

My Thanksgiving Day starts out with the parade, then company over for lunch, football then Christmas movies! What an awesome day!

kgstyles

Mistletoeologist
MMC Lifer
Nov 12, 2006
Grand Forks, North Dakota
I agree completely Christmas-A-Holic. Thanksgiving without football is like Thanksgiving without turkey!

Santa's Helper

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 14, 2007
Out there
I don't totally hate it but, I don't watch it either. I feel this way, they should be home having Thanksgiving dinner with their families not playing football!

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
I don't totally hate it but, I don't watch it either. I feel this way, they should be home having Thanksgiving dinner with their families not playing football!

They will interview players and they actually make plans to be with their family after the game. Not sure if all players do this tho but I feel they should. cheesy

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Sorry, no football in our house on Thanksgiving Day. (Well, not at other times, either. We just don't go for it.)

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
I agree. I think it's sad to keep families apart during a special time like Thanksgiving.

I really don't mind if the men in my family watch football while I'm working in the kitchen. I would rather have them in the other room watching football not the kitchen
while I'm preparing the meal. Now if they want to come and help clean up they are always welcomed to come.

But football on Thanksgiving Day is a tradition and many famlies enjoy it and that's fine.

I would rather watch the parades.

made582

MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
I love it. We turn it on after we eat and then sit there and watch it and work on our black friday plans.

lauriebear777

Limited Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 25, 2009
Long Island (NY)
OMG!!!! LOVE IT!!! And this year the Giants are playing.... Be stillmy beating heart!!!!

I have to admit I love it and I know this may sound weird but to the players it is a honor to be able to play that day, it is a huge deal for them and I believe that most try and have memberss of their families there.

B

ballcoach

Three things are constant at our house on Thanksgiving....

1. Macy's Parade
2. Eat
3. Family watch Cowboys while playing board game

That's just how we do it.....I LOVE IT AND CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS YEAR....

rodmonster

Santa's Personal Trainer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Jul 27, 2008
Va
~

There is NOTHING better than Football at Thanksgiving - watching the Cowboys then going outside and running off some of the turkey in a litle back yard tackle!

YEAH BABY!!!

Snow-in-Texas

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 28, 2009
Dallas, TX
I agree with most of you, it just would not be the same without football. As far as the players being with their families, it isn't like they don't know they are playing that day. They can plan around it, besides, unlike the rest of the teams, they will have the rest of the weekend off to do whatever they want with their families.

loksi

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Jul 14, 2008
Oklahoma

1. Macy's Parade
2. Eat

That sounds like MY house! (Well, with the exception of the board game, one might be going on somewhere, but not in front of the set!)

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009

1. Macy's Parade
2. Eat

Oh ya, I left that out but we do play games too. Sometime we are still playing games during the 1st quarter of the game but after that I focus on the game.

Santa's Helper

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 14, 2007
Out there
I agree with most of you, it just would not be the same without football. As far as the players being with their families, it isn't like they don't know they are playing that day. They can plan around it, besides, unlike the rest of the teams, they will have the rest of the weekend off to do whatever they want with their families.
BLAH!!! Turkey with the family, football on Fri.!!! All sports should stop on holidays!!! Go ahead and tear that statement apart! haha!! That's how I feel. I watch football but, on Thanksgiving I like to spend the time with my family talking and listening to some Christmas music or watching a Christmas special.

Santa's Helper

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 14, 2007
Out there
There is NOTHING better than Football at Thanksgiving - watching the Cowboys then going outside and running off some of the turkey in a litle back yard tackle!

YEAH BABY!!!
I could go for the running off the Turkey and some tackle football in the yard but not the Cowboys part! cheesy Ahhhhaaaa!!! I'm gonna catch something for that I'm sure!!!!!

Santa's Helper

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 14, 2007
Out there
we do not purposely watch the football games; but i can see how they are a fun american tradition. growing up, my family would watch them.

but my husband is not into sports. we may put it on for entertainment occasionally, but it's not our family's tradition.
Yep, my husband isn't into sports either. He thinks that all sports should be banned!!!!

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
Personally I can't stand to hear football on tv.

I use to go to the Penn State games with my husband, his company always had tickets for us. Then we were in charge of the "Tailgate". I wanted to take a book to read during the game but hubby wouldn't let me. LOL, Sometimes if it was really hot all the wives would leave the stadium and go sit in the shade of the tree.

I loved to socialize during the Tailgate party but other than that I hated sitting in the heat, freezing rain and cold and 15 minutes always turned into 30 to 45 minutes.

Thank goodness hubby is not that much into Football anymore. He will watch it if someone else is watching it but no longer sits glued to the tv and gets radical about a fumble etc. Many times he knows it's on tv but doesn't watch, hooray and I'm glad.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image