Giblet gravy?

bigbearfla58

Mistletoe Hanger
MMC Lifer
Jan 14, 2008
Christmas Angel here is how you make giblet gravy (see below)

Giblet Gravy

I can tell we don’t have very many southerners on this web site! Humph! J

Since my Grandmother made this very delicious gravy for many years and since you asked for it here goes. When you are preparing the turkey to be roasted take out all the things that come inside the turkey in the neck cavity and the breast cavity. While your turkey is roasting you’ll have to prepare a turkey stock made with these giblets (be sure to rinse them off under running cold water first) celery, carrot and onions, salt, pepper. And I use some finely chopped rosemary in mine. Feel free to use whatever herbs you like. In a 4-quart stockpot bring to a boil and reduce the heat and simmer for 2 hours. Turn off heat and let cool to room temperature. When the stock has come to room temperature with tongs I take out the giblets and the larger vegetables, which are quite good, and this cooks treat every Thanksgiving Day, Then pour the stock through a colander into a large mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and reserve one cup of stock in a mason jar to mix with 4-5 tablespoons of all-purpose flour to thicken your gravy.

After the turkey is all roasted and you’re ready to create your gravy place the roasting pan on your stove and bring liquid to a boil. While that’s heating up combine 4-5 tablespoons of AP flour with one cup of turkey stock in that Mason jar or any tall jar will do. Shake and add to your hot liquid. Stir until the gravy reaches the desired thickness. Reduce heat and stir in the rest of your turkey stock and cut up giblets. You can also add in one extra large hard-boiled egg. I know that sounds gross but it’s just one of those southern things y’all! You can also add cream or milk to lighten the color of the gravy. Note: The egg and milk/cream are optional. And that’s how you make giblet gravy!

If the gravy still isn't thick enough start by adding 1 or 2 tsp of corn starch combined with two tsp of water or cream. Bring gravy to a boil and check for desired thickness. When you feel the gravy is thick enough turn off the heat and pour into warmed gravy boat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

HolidayHoney

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 27, 2008
I'm Southern Too!!!

This is almost how I make mine, however I like to put several hardboiled eggs in mine. Just a personal taste.!!

Courtney

Makin' A Comeback!
MMC Lifer
Jul 21, 2008
Home
It's a Hoosier thing too. My mom makes giblet gravy for Thanksgiving (no veggies/herbs/egg). I can't stomach it though. :S

yuletide

Chestnut Roaster
MMC Member
Jun 11, 2006
Ohio
great big ewwww

I just can't bring myself to try or make it - all I have to say is ewww.
Yule

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
gotta have giblet gravy. And im from the north

chop them up fine you dont even know

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events