Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Growing Up In The 60's And 70's

Discussion in 'Retro' started by George Broderick, Jr., Sep 3, 2009.

1. George Broderick, Jr.

George Broderick, Jr. Guest

I also remember Byron MacGregor's 45 record of Gordon Sinclair's "The Americans" being a top 40 hit here in the States because we, Americans, were being more and more made to feel bad about ourselves due to an Administration (Jimmy Carter) who constantly talked us down, told us what bad shape we were in and apologized to the rest of the world for everything we did...

34 years later and not much has changed... where are these guys now..?

2. Snow-in-Texas

Snow-in-Texas Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer MMC Emeritus Member

I always said that Jimmy Carter was the biggest waste of 4 years in office in history. He has done more after than he did in office.

3. p.a.

p.a. Christmas Fan Merry Forums Member

I remember sitting in front of a snowy tv hoping to catch a glimpse of bugs bunny!!! we could hear him but it was pretty hard to see it ..no cable just rabbit ears! (haha no pun intended)
    I also remember the best christmas when I got the original Barbie van..omg I wish I still had it!! it was amazing@@@@@ pop out tent in
    the back, little lawnchairs, sooo cool!!

4. George Broderick, Jr.

And don't forget the Click Clack fad..! How many of us had them? How many of us had a friend who had them? How many knew someone who showed up at school at least once with a bandaged wrist from bruising caused by trying to use them..? They eventually were banned, much like lawn darts...

[​IMG]

5. p.a.

p.a. Christmas Fan Merry Forums Member

ohhhhhhhhh I loved my click clacks!! and they were the ones with the strings on them...now you can buy them but they are made with plastic braces on them.

6. Christmas-A-Holic

Christmas-A-Holic MMC Goodwill Ambassador MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew

I remember those. I think my brother had that. I never knew they were banned.

7. rodmonster

rodmonster Santa's Personal Trainer MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

yeah

yeah the tool (although designed a bit more sturdy - etc) was actually an old form of a weapon from Asia hundreds of years ago.

8. Snow-in-Texas

Snow-in-Texas Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer MMC Emeritus Member

Did any of you have Major Matt Mason? My brother and I had it, along with a space station. Here are some pics I found online.

Of course we had GI Joe, but I actually liked Major Matt Mason more. He was made of rubber and had wire inside so he was easy to pose and more durable than GI Joe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. George Broderick, Jr.

I remember the cool ads in the comic books of that era and I remember playing with my friend's Major Matt... but I never had one myself... I do recall that they were about half the size of G.I. Joe and Johnnie West dolls...

10. AuntieMistletoeDear

AuntieMistletoeDear MMC Hostess of Christmas Online MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

11. AuntieMistletoeDear

AuntieMistletoeDear MMC Hostess of Christmas Online MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

I saw the same Christmas specials, but can't remember for sure if they were being aired for the first time. I know Mr. Magoo was a repeat.

Saw a few Elvis concerts, but think the comeback special I saw was shortly before he died.

I remember my dad popping champagne when they landed and the cat chasing the cork down into the basement. I remember a lunar mission in Nov. of the same year, that's when my dog had her seven pups.

When MLK was shot, they were re-airing his "I have a dream" speech and I chimed in with "I had a dream" and my parents quickly hushed me because if I started sharing a dream it would've taken awhile to finish.

12. AuntieMistletoeDear

Not at all in the same league, but I remember a Radio Shack dog radio that I had that picked up stations all the way to Chicago, picked up a few truckers on their CB's too.

We travelled quite a bit and the radio in the car was always on. We'd bring the 8-track with us, but before that there was just the car radio and the music was as varied as the DJ's playing them. Sure there were many stations playing the "one hit wonders" and "chart toppers", but it didn't seem pre-programmed and now and then we'd hear something new and different.

I used to listen to the billboard countdown on New Year's Day sprawled out on the floor in front of the old Console TV/Stereo to listen.

13. AuntieMistletoeDear

One of my brothers became friends with Bob Newhart and Alan Alda, but exchanged more letters and conversations with Bob than Alan.

My mom always reminded us of a blend of Mary Tyler Moore and Liza Minnelli.

We watched MTM when she played Laura Petrie in the Dick Van Dyke Show.

We watched comedies, dramas, musicals, cartoons and children's shows. We only had three channels to choose from in the beginning. We had one black and white tv and one in colour.

I remember on Friday nights I wanted to stay up late like my brothers, but I had to sit through the Tommy Hunter Show first and I always fell asleep during his Bible Stories at the close of the show. I managed to stay up three times, but looking back, I didn't care much for the show, it was staying up late that I was after. The show they were preparing to watch was called The Wild Wild West.

14. AuntieMistletoeDear

We had Clackers and they were banned from the school yard because they were too dangerous.

We played alot of board games as a family and had a few things, but I wasn't really into fads as much as my friends were. I had a pogo stick and rollerskates and a slinky and stuff like that.

Just so you all know, I invented VCR's, but never got the credit. No, really it was my idea. I was chatting with a friend of mine about how cool it would be to record my dreams on a machine and play them at the theater and that brought me to talking about how neat it would be to record stuff from the TV if it came on after we had to go to bed.

So, there you have it - about 8 years later VCR's were introduced.

15. AuntieMistletoeDear

I remember the clothes.

Near the end of the Vietnam War, one of my teenage cousins lived with us and she and her friends were Hippies. I remember the muttonshops, and the clothes.

Still enjoy some of the music from those days. Psst. I even listen to the odd bit of Disco usually around my birthday just for the memories.

I also remember the junk food and candy like Wax Lips and Bazzooka Bubble Gum, Pez, Wacko Bars, Sponge Tophy, etc.

I never cared for Pop Rocks.

16. caninemom3

caninemom3 MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013) MMC Lifer MMC Emeritus Member

I hate to even admit I am one of THOSE boomers but I am. I remember all of what everyone mentioned. I remember when President Kennedy got shot, not that I understood what was going on. I also remember when Rev. King got shot and also Bobby Kennedy.

I remember wanting to go to Woodstock but I was just a wee bit young for that still. The clothes of course, were a big part of what I remember. At that time, I would have given ANYTHING to have straight long hair instead of the wavy dark auburn stuff I had........

The Viet Nam war was on of the scariest things I remember and also the shootings at Kent State. I live in Ohio and at the time my sister was attneding classes there.

What a crazy time. I must be old, really old because I don't remember it as being quite so tumultuous or violent as today.

:-?

17. RadioJonD

RadioJonD ♪♫Mistletoe Mix-ologist♫♪ MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum Kringle Radio DJ

Mostly 70's Vinyl!

Legendary WMMS 100.7, The Buzzard, in Cleveland, Ohio is giving away all their vinyl! That’s’ right. The whole enchilada! All of it! WMMS’ entire wax collection from years past is up for grabs for one lucky winner.

My genuine imitation beaver top hat with the frayed end from laying on the curb all night after that Christmas caroling extravaganza is solidly slung and firmly planted in the contest ring as should yours be!

All that is required from anyone that should happen to score this stash is to evaluate any Christmas gems for some sharing! Deal? Oh, and first dibs for anything you decide to let go for a price!

Can you just imagine if there are some promotional and transcription items in that collection!?

http://buzzardarmy.wmms.com/asp3/ContestDetail.aspx?AID=87276

Only catch is, you’ll have to sign up for a free WMMS account that allows interaction with the station and site. But, letting this collection fall into the hands of music downloading, sideways hat wearing, baggy pants punk without brain cells or a clue is tantamount to a cardinal vinyl sin. Do your duty! Do it for the children!

If I read correctly, one entry per day is allowed!

< Now, let’s see…Eleven hours to Cleveland from North Alabama…probably have to rent a cargo van…wonder how much a one way plane ticket is to get there?…should I take someone to help load?…where will I put it once home?… >

1 person likes this.
  18. Adam

Adam Formally xrockchild Merry Forums Member

I have to ask you folks since you are older than I am (I am 25). I have read and seen videos about Halloween in the past...and it seems like it was SO much bigger than it is today. I only say this because alot less houses decorate, alot less trick or treators etc. I mean they say it STILL is the biggest selling holiday after Christmas. But it always bums me out that it seems that Halloween was bigger when I was a kid and before.

Sometimes I wish I could step into these eras for 10 minutes to see what it was like, just to live it a little bit since things are just so darn different and advanced these days.

19. Wenceslaus

Wenceslaus MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Halloween is much bigger today than in the '70s. There were no Halloween stores. There were maybe two Halloween television specials: Charlie Brown and Fat Albert. The first movie about Halloween didn't come out until 1978. Home haunts were rare. Commercially-made Halloween decorations were cardboard cutouts of witches, black cats and jack-o-lanterns. Commercially-made children's costumes looked really cheap.

1 person likes this.
  20. Adam

Adam Formally xrockchild Merry Forums Member

hmmm...maybe because I was a kid I just don't remember. I know there are stores and such now...but the last few years I have noticed there are less trick or treators unless you are near alot of kids. When I was in high school, there were hundreds of teenagers out. Then kids...and now only a dozen or so kids. I guess it just depends on the area.

I was so inspired by this thread that I looked into some vintage Christmas ornaments and I must say...I am tempted to pick up some vintage ones.

Isn't it bizarre how after my generation, the kids/teens today are all growing up with cellphones and facebook. I mean, I didn't have a cellphone until I was working a real job at 18 years old. Myspace was just started out a year or two after that as well. So strange how much technology is impacting the future generations.

1 person likes this.