Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Growing Up In The 60's And 70's

Discussion in 'Retro' started by George Broderick, Jr., Sep 3, 2009.

1. Snow-in-Texas

Snow-in-Texas Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer MMC Emeritus Member

I just wonder if you are seeing fewer trick or treaters because people consider it too unsafe these days. Of course I don't know if that is true because I remember as a kid being cautious about our candy. We heard about people poisoning candy and putting razor blades in apples (if that ever really happened). But I think overall alot of people consider it a lot unsafer today than say 30 years ago, is it? I don't know.

MsRose likes this.
  2. George Broderick, Jr.

George Broderick, Jr. Guest

Halloween seems to be more for adults to play dress up than for kids anymore... it's like an entire generation grew up and refused to let go of Halloween as a "kid's holiday"... I think my last Trick Or Treating excursion was Sixth Grade and that was pushing it... lately, though, we've been getting high schoolers coming around on Halloween... and they're tanking it in their best "disaffected teenager manner"... barely managing hockey jerseys and face black or cheap masks as a costume... it's kinda sad, really... give me a five year old dressed as a lion anyday... they REALLY believe they ARE the lion..!

MsRose likes this.
  3. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

As a child on Halloween my dad would take me all over town. I can remember there were ALOT of kids walking around with parents. Not too many decorations except for the pumpkins and ghosts made out sheets hung up in trees.

We decorate for Halloween but as a child my parents didn't. We do not take our kids around town like our parents took us. We take the kids to see grandparents, aunts, uncles, a few close friends and then one of us will walk them up and down our street for trick or treating while the other parent stays home handing out candy.

We also see alot teenagers that hardly put any effort into their costume however a few years ago we did a teenage boy dressed up as Santa which was cool.

4. G.Bailey

G.Bailey Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

Trick or treating in the 70's in a small Illinois suburb meant filling up a pillow case with candy, then emptying it at home on the bed, and going out to fill it up again. In the dark mind you! With no parents following us! I dont know for certain if this country has gotten less safe or if we've just let some things get away from us...

MsRose likes this.
  5. rodmonster

rodmonster Santa's Personal Trainer MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

Same here - I was a kid in the 70s and early 80s...so i rem all you stated - ohhh so well....
    I will add to it - we went barefoot sometimes - just because we could and we also ate the things people baked and made by hand to hand out....

MsRose likes this.
  6. George Broderick, Jr.

No one feared the homemade popcorn ball..! We didn't much like them, but we didn't fear them...

1 person likes this.
  7. G.Bailey

G.Bailey Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

Great way to sum up the infamous popcorn ball George! I surely never turned away from one. Dont know if there was any goody I ever turned away from, except maybe those root beer or coffee flavored hard candies, I still cant stomach those.

1 person likes this.
  8. Faith4always

Faith4always MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I have totally enjoyed readin this thread!!!
    I was a child in the 70s.
    I remember my folks voting for Ford and so relieved when he won!!
    I remember adults talking about the Vietnam war and had a brother in law who had fought in that war.
    I remember the hippies...
    I remember when Elvis died. I was watching tv in our living room. We didn't have a remote control then. You had to get up and go change the channel yourself. Then, if the turner thingy came off, then you used pliers! hahaha
    Do yall remember when everybody was wearing afros? My mom wore an afro. She looked really good too.
    I wish I still had the Christmas lights from when I was a kid.
    I remember bell bottom jeans and high platform shoes!! I remember my brother having those kind of things.
    Remember those lemon twist things? It was a toy your slipped your foot through it and you would swing it around and jump over it? I can't remember what they're exactly called, but I had one!! I loved that thing!!
    I had a very loving, secure childhood. I wish I could go back!!

MsRose and rodmonster like this.
  9. rodmonster

rodmonster Santa's Personal Trainer MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

Bringing back the memories!

10. Retrohal

Retrohal MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

11. Anne_Langston

Anne_Langston MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I'm really enjoying this thread! I was born in August of '58....I don't quite remember JFK being assassinated. I remember my great-grandmother going to California on a prop-jet, and sticking around the airport afterwards to watch planes take off and land. I remember buying Richie Rich, Little Lulu, Caspar and Sad Sack comics off of a spinner rack at the drugstore. My father was a radio die hard, so I remember the last of the classic radio shows and the first TV my parents had (this would have been around 62, I guess). I remember my grandparents getting a color TV, and going to their house every year to watch the Wizard of Oz in color. I remember the Tigers winning the World Series.

Moving ahead, I remember the Bicentennial! I graduated that year, and our class colors were midnight blue and silver, our class flower the American Beauty rose. So the stage was red, white (silver) and blue. The graduation was held at the football stadium, and a man on horseback yelling "the seniors are coming!" circled the stadium before we marched out. Yes, very cheesy! And I remember the big Bicentennial celebrations that summer and my little brothers dressing up in colonial costumes "just because".

I also remember the not-so-great things: the little girls killed in the Birmingham bombing. MLK and Bobby Kennedy being assassinated. All the riots. I remember the Watergate scandal, and watching the hearings on TV (and being very bored--I was a teenager, after all.) Even though I was a young adult by then, I remember Jonestown and the Milk-Moscone murders. (I had moved from the Midwest to the SF Bay Area the year before, so it was a very big deal at the time.) And of course, I remember the Iran hostage crisis.

Sometimes I can't believe it was all that long ago--it seems pretty vivid still!

12. MrsEd

MrsEd Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

I was about 10 when I remember hearing on the radio that John Lennon had been shot, I didnt really understand why everyone was so quiet- we where at a party! oops this was 1980 sorry.

13. Snow-in-Texas

I was watching Monday Night Football when Howard Cosell broke into the game and said that John Lennon was shot. I was never a big Beatles fan and wasn't a fan of Lennon's, didn't care for his politics, but it was a very sad day. I am actually a bigger Beatles fan now, thanks to my wife.

14. George Broderick, Jr.

I remember The Beatles first appearance on Ed Sullivan... I didn't see what the big deal was... I also remember all the "bigger kids" going crazy over something called "Sgt. Pepper"... who knew? I was 10...

I was in (I think) seventh grade when we started having class discussions about abortion and euthanasia (as a lead up to Roe v. Wade, I guess) and wondering to myself what little kids in China had to do with killing babies... euthanasia does not mean "youth in Asia"... who knew? I was 12...

CBS, NBC, ABC and PBS... that was it..! Maybe, if you were lucky, a local UHF station...

Godzilla movies on late night Chiller Theatre...

Irwin Allen disaster movies in the 70's and Mel Brooks classics Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein... in theatres, of course... not VHS, DVD or HBO...

15. Anne_Langston

Anne_Langston MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I remember, around 78 I think, going to a friend's house to see this new fangled cable channel that let you see recent movies--something called Home Box Office---I remember an older person saying that he thought it would fold in a year, because you already had to pay for cable, let alone pay extra for this movie channel!!!!

16. Snow-in-Texas

I remember getting our first color TV in 1973 just in time to see the first ever airing of The Ten Commandments on network TV. It was an RCA XL 100, top of the line for it's time. I remember the truck pulling up to deliver it and my mom calling dad at work, and he said to make sure it is in the box, if not it was probably the one they had on display. Mom asked us if it was in the box, we said it was. YAY our first color TV!!!!

My wife and I just recently bought our first flat screen LCD TV, and it was an RCA. Let's just say RCA ain't what they used to be, we took it back the next day and got a Toshiba instead. While watching the RCA, the picture would just go out, we had sound, but no picture. I would turn the TV off and back on and the picture would come back, but after a while it would go out again. They told us at the store that quite a few have been returned for the same thing. We thought, gee it would have been nice to know that before we bought it.

1 person likes this.
  17. Maureen

Maureen Merry Forums Super Administrator MMC Lifer Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award

First fuzzy vague memory I have is of my babysitter glued to the TV when somebody had been shot. It's got to have been either MLK or Robert Kennedy.

Don't remember a whole lot of the moon landing

Saturday mornings consisted of Scooby Doo and Captain Caveman, Shazam, Isis and the Bugaloos

Stickers with happy faces, telling me "I can't believe I ate the WHOLE thing"!

Thinking I was in heaven when we had Kraft Dinner (still do!!)

My dad taking me to see the Ice Capades

After School Specials and Schoolhouse Rock

Zoom

Sunday mornings ice-skating then going to Dunkin Donuts for hot chocolate

K-Tel records and the Ronco Record Selector

Getting the leaflet from school for Scholastic books

Archie, Ritchie Rich, Ripley's Believe it or not

Owning every single Peanuts book

1 person likes this.
  18. Snow-in-Texas

I actually used to have some of those K-Tel records. I loved the Peanuts books too!!

19. ChristmasFanatic2

ChristmasFanatic2 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member Christmas Talk Alum

I was born in '65 and I have wonderful memories of the late 60s and 70s. I was an only child for 5 years and I remember so e odd happenings. Remember the old Halloween costumes with the one piece of costume that you stepped in and the plastic masks that you'd sweat in? I live in northeast PA and quite often October was ver cold. Mom would put coats on us, underneath our costumes and I'm sure with al that bulk we looked like the Michelen Tire Man! I had a large Jack O'Lantern bucket to collect candy in. Popcorn balls were a huge treat....I alwas hoped to get one for Halloween and it was a staple in our Christmas stockings!

Cereal geared towards kids always had a prize in the bottom and when I got two younger brothers, quite often Mom took the prize, so there was no fighting for it. I remember when the 'Monster' cereals came out....Frankenberry, Boo Berry and Count Chocula. I remember mood rings and pet rocks. The Mrs Beasley craze, along with the first Baby Alive doll as well as Barbie's Ken coming with mustaches and beards to put on Ken.

I remember having no cable available where we lived, so Dad going out on Saturday afternoons trying to tweak the antenna enough, so I could watch Creature Features on Saturday afternoons. Dad tucking me into bed on Saturday nights and teasing me that he was going to run off with, Mary Tyler Moore. Personally, I preferred her in The Dick Van Dyke Show when I saw that, years later, in syndication. I remember most of the Christmas classics....Rudolph, Charlie Brown, Frosty and The Grinch toons were on CBS, back in the day.

Did anyone else have a Kenner Give A Show Projector? I got mine when i was 4....I LOVED it! My cousin, who is the same age as me, had much older sisters and a brother and back behind their house, they had a small cabin that my cousin and other cousins and a friend would clean up, every summer and sleep in there. We found old Archie and Richie Rich comics from the late 50s and 60s and we'd read and re-read those every Summer. I can kind of remember when, Dark Shadows was shown as an afternoon soap.

While I don't remember it, Dad held me on his lap, so I could see the Moon landing, just so I could say I saw it. I remember, I saw Hank Aaron beat Babe Ruth's home run record. I recall he'd been up a time or two and hadn't homered and as it was getting late, Mom and Dad said I could watch one more at bat, then I had to go to bed. He got the home run on that last bat. I remember the day Elvis and John Lennon died and were murdered.

Reading through the memories of so mamy have brought back so many memories for me....love it!

MerryCarey and snowflake22 like this.
  20. AuntieMistletoeDear

AuntieMistletoeDear MMC Hostess of Christmas Online MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

I love "dumpster-diving" and picking up old threads and sharing a memory or two from what it brings about in my merry memory bank.
    Glad I'm not the only one who does it. This made for good reading.