Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Growing Up In The 60's And 70's

Discussion in 'Retro' started by George Broderick, Jr., Sep 3, 2009.

1. MarthaK

MarthaK Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

I was born in 1960 so I remember all of this!
    I remember Miss Connie on Romper Room. She never saw ME in The Magic Mirror - it bothered me.

I was 4 when Rudolph aired for the first time. When Santa told Donner that he should be ashamed of his son, I cried. When I saw the Island of Misfit Toys I cried. The next year my Mom didn't want me to watch it because it upset me so much, but I won and watched and cried again.

I remember Underdog and Mighty Mouse and Johnny Quest and Speed Racer then, as a teenager, The Kids from Caper.

I miss the variety shows, the Dinah Shore Show and Merv Griffin, Bing Crosby, Andy Williams and the Osmonds - later the Donny & Marie Show.

In high school we wore Levi's cordoroy jeans and cowl neck sweaters and Converse sneakers (they weren't called Chucks then) and those ugly Earth Shoes. Top off the look with a mood ring!

We loved Sweet Honesty and Love's Baby Soft colognes, washed our hair with Herbal Essance or Lemon Up or Gee Your Hair Smells Terriffic. Lots of girls wore their hair long and straight but mine looked like ice skater Dorothy Hamill's.

I remember Coke and Pepsi products in returnable glass bottles. I remember when McDonald's introduced the Big Mac.

Going back to my younger years, I remember The Wonderful World of Disney being a weekly event. I had to be ready for bed before it came on and was ushered off to my room the moment it was over.

I remember Bozo singing "Wow Wee, It's a Purdy Day." Teaberry and Clove gum were in my Christmas stocking each year. I remember the world without Doritos!

2. HollyJolly

HollyJolly Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer MMC Donor

We miss the variety shows as well. It's amazing to me that Michael Buble has pulled it off for several years in a row. What is further amazing is that seemingly none of the nostalgia TV networks TVLand, getTV, COZI, INSP, etc, etc.have mined the Christmas specials for several days of marathons. They could easily swing an audience.

BTW, I haven't seen Teaberry gum in a dogs age!

caninemomssister and MsRose like this.
  3. Contented

Contented Sugar Cookie Tester MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

I remember wearing white boots everywhere.Can't even begin to spell the name of them.If anyone knows,help me out.I raced home everyday to watch dark shadows after school.I very well remember the day Kennedy was killed.I waited outside for my mom to come home from work.She found me crying on the steps.I so remember the day LBJ's daughter got married.I thought it was the most beautiful wedding I had ever seen.Needless to say I wanted one just like it.I also remember the year silver artifial trees were popular.Mama went out and bought one for us.My sister and I kept staring at it like an alien had landed in our living room or something.

caninemomssister and MsRose like this.
  4. MsRose

MsRose Christmas Card Fanatic MMC Donor Merry Forums Member

I was born in 1965. I remember Bobby Kennedy's funeral on TV, we only had three stations and I wanted to watch cartoons. It was the only time I ever saw my father cry,
    It was a big threat to go to a movie theater on a Saturday afternoon.
    I remember when you went to the gas station it was full service, the gas station attendant with pump your gas wash your windows. We always got a toy or sometimes they would give out a plate glass or silverware.
    I recall my mom putting stamps on a card I think it was called blue chip stamps?you could save up for things to purchase with it.
    I had a kid ask me what a record album was the other day. LOL
    He couldn't believe we didn't download music back in the day..
    In 1978, as a teenager I remember the famous Hollywood Hairdresser
    Doing my hair with Farrah Fossett feathers.I went to a hollow ween party bob for apples, came home and my mother was furious with me LOL.just a few memories ..
    I have enjoyed this thread !

caninemomssister likes this.