Happy Guy Fawkes/Bonfire Night to all our UK members.

Billy Battles

Santa's Doppelganger
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Jul 12, 2007
On Santas good list(Hopefully)
Happy Guy Fawkes/Bonfire Night to all UK members on here. If you could please tell us non-UK members some of the traditions of this Holiday.

Remember, remember the fifth of November,
The gunpowder treason and plot
I know of no reason
Why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

Reactions: 2 people

Festive Spirit

Christmas Royalty
MMC Lifer
Sep 11, 2012
England
Thank you!!

Guy Fawkes Night, also known as Guy Fawkes Day, Bonfire Night and Firework Night, is an annual commemoration observed on 5 November, primarily in Great Britain. Its history begins with the events of 5 November 1605, when Guy Fawkes, a member of the Gunpowder Plot, was arrested while guarding explosives the plotters had placed beneath the House of Lords. Celebrating the fact that King James I had survived the attempt on his life, people lit bonfires around London, and months later the introduction of the Observance of 5th November Act enforced an annual public day of thanksgiving for the plot's failure.

This is just a short extract from Wikipidia so feel free to read the rest here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night if you want,

On Bonfire night people will sometimes gather at a planned bonfire which will sometimes include a fireworks display and a burning of an efiggy of Guy Fawkes (a homemade model of a man, like a scarecrow) .

People tend to set off fireworks at their homes too. My neighbours have been doing it all weekend so not sure what to expect for the big finale tonight hahahah!!!

We are having one of the traditional bonfire night dinners tonight - Chilli and then parkin cake for desert.

this isn't the best description and I am no expert , so I hope others will share and add their own ..........

trackrebel

candy cane hustla
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2008
Germany
sports.groups.yahoo.com
Happy Guy Fawkes night....I hope it is a great night for all of y´all!!!!

Ron Delaney

Mistletoe Hanger
MMC Lifer
Dec 10, 2011
Happy Bonfire Night from Newfoundland , Canada (we still celebrate, but loved it as a

Nov 5 is a exciting time around town as we all get ready for the community bonfires. In the early 80's I always loved getting ready for the bonfire weeks in advance....here is a short blog in Bonfire Night growing up in the 80's in Rural Newfoundland http://delaneysrant.wordpress.com/2014/11/04/bonfire-night-in-da-river/

Thanks so much!!

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Happy Guy Fawkes Day, Bonfire Night, and Firework Night! Thanks for describing it for us! Sounds exciting!

snowflake22

*Harlowe's Mom*
MMC Lifer
Louann Jeffries Award
Jul 10, 2011
Wisconsin

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums