Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Holiday Inflatables

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by Misfit Toy, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

Do many of you have any? Do you like them and are they durable? Last year I was thinking of getting one, but some kinda looked a bit tacky to me and decided to pass in the end. Depends what you get though. They're not cheap either. Last year when they had those snowglobes with the snow all flying around, those looked great and this year they’re coming out with some 12” ones, which I was hoping to see.

I might get a 12” one for a table centerpiece and if I ever got one of those big inflatables for outside, this is the only one Ive seen that I actually really like, since I love good ol’ Sam:

[​IMG]

I’ve never seen him in the stores, so I’d probably have to go the ebay route if I decide to pick him up.

This is the 12" tabletop snowglobe I really like:

[​IMG]

2. elfworks

elfworks MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

those inflatables are not to my taste, but i am digging your burl ives frosty there!!

xo

3. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

Yea, I’m the same way. That’s why I’ve been so hesitant with them. They, though Sam is one of the nicer ones I've seen, don’t look very good in person, like they do in the pics. Its mostly because I’ve wanted a Sam outside for so long and the only other one I‘ve seen was a reflective lighted 4 foot one that while nice, wasn’t really what I‘ve been looking for. As for the globe, I just saw another picture of the mini snow globe and it just looked like a beach ball with a stuffed animal in it.....

So, they’ll probably be a pass of me. And, I'm sure there will be a ton of new stuff this year anyway, like every year that I'll just "NEED" to have that I like a lot and get tempted by everything I see :D

4. Michael Rielly

Michael Rielly MMC Master of SantaClausology MMC Partner Santa's Elf Christmas Crew

I'm with you. I'd rather have twinkley lights.

5. sheepsnot

sheepsnot Guest

Sam is my favorite Rudolph character. I think it's the vest.

6. caseydbell

caseydbell MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I'm not into those....mainly bacause my mom does not like them

7. MarthaK

MarthaK Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

I'm not a nut for them, but they are cute in the right environment.
    Last year I had Snoopy flying his dog house. Being chased by a Red Baron kite.

This year I found a Santa looking all bug-eyed as he's filling his sleigh at a gas pump. Most folks in my town commute 45-60 miles into work...I had to get it. ;-)

8. sheepsnot

sheepsnot Guest

I'd like to see a picture of that. Don't be surprised in Elf Ed writes to say that Santa doesn't use petroleum based products to power his sleigh.

9. MarthaK

10. dvdelf

dvdelf MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

awesome, but maybe he shouldnt use premium, save a couple of bucks lol

11. Christmas Cheers

Christmas Cheers Christmas Fan Merry Forums Member

I've never really been a fan of the inflatables but with each new type that comes out I find myself inching closer and closer towards buying one. The snow globe ones are impressive.

:merry:

12. dvdelf

dvdelf MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

the ones that go up & down are cool too

13. Ervserver

Ervserver Guest

I saw one at Kmart last year that was a GIANT inflatable snow globe...not only do I want one I want to sit inside it and let the plastic snow fall on me. :eek:

14. HolyNight7

HolyNight7 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

You see them here alot in Florida. I personally am not crazy over them. They are a big item in Walmart down here.

15. Christy Carol

Christy Carol Sugar Cookie Tester MMC Lifer

I am not crazy about them either. Call me weird but I still like the old fashioned plastic lawn decorations. Maybe its cuz I am from the country and we like tacky stuff LOL!! But they remind me of my childhood...I guess they became popular around that time because it seems like everyone had something plastic in their yards. Now days everyone wants those huge inflatable ones and if you get too many in your yard, well its just over powering.

16. HolyNight7

Don't get me wrong I like the plastic ones, like the choir people or nativity but don't over do it. Can you say Tacky?

17. MarthaK

Tacky rules!

Christmas is the one time each year I toss out all advice from Martha Stewart and Southern Living and set up a display with wild, colorful, childish abandon.

Maybe it's a reaction to my repressive upbringing of solid, steady, white mini lights.

I have only a couple of inflatables, though. I mostly do wireframes and plastic blow molds. The inflatables take up a bit of space once the power is off and they deflate. I have two dogs who need yard space and inflatables tend to take a large chunk of yard when they're off.

That being said, I hope to set out an inflatable Bumble this year...if anything is going to look good at 8 ft tall, it's a Bumble!

(My display is called "Edison Christmas" because "Vegas on the Rappahannock" is too hard to remember!)

18. sheepsnot

sheepsnot Guest

Remember the Christmas episode of Roseanne where they were trying to outdo each other with tacky yard ornaments? They found some nice Elvis stuff and flamingoes with Santa stockings. It was called White Trash Christmas.

19. HolyNight7

I remember that one. It was a crack up.

20. mrshamm

mrshamm MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I prefer lights rather than inflatables. Of course we're not allowed to have either here at our apartment. I'm thinking of getting a lighted wreath to hang on our door.