Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Holiday Inflatables

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by Misfit Toy, Sep 6, 2006.

1. HolyNight7

HolyNight7 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Are you not even allowed to put lights in your window? At our apartment complex we can put lights in our windows outside our door, on our little patio or lawn area. I've seen people do it. Our apartments kinda look like town houses. We have our own separate entrance.

2. mrshamm

mrshamm MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

We each have our seperate entrances but we're not allowed to have outdoor lights except for on a doorhanger. We're allowed to have the small lighted angels and such in our window but nothing very elaborate. We're gonna have battery operated candles in our windows. I hate it that we're not allowed to have icicle lights on our front porches...oh well.

3. Ervserver

Ervserver Guest

well well your landlords aren't very festive :(

4. HolyNight7

Yea what Ervserver said. :eek:

5. mrshamm

our apartment complex is owned by a management company that I am starting to believe is run by Mr. Scrooge.

6. Ervserver

Ervserver Guest

they need a visit by some spirits

7. HolyNight7

That sucks. I guess some are overly cautious.

8. sheepsnot

sheepsnot Guest

Our apartment complex has a competition every year and some folks go all out, fitting a housefull of ornaments and lights on a eight foot wide balcony! I love it. The streetlights are victorian and have big globes on top. At Christmas they put colored bulbs in them, which is really festive and also makes the street pretty dark.

9. HolyNight7

That sounds real festive.

10. Ervserver

Ervserver Guest

sounds nice, someone in charge there has the spirit.

11. dvdelf

dvdelf MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

the apartment complex we were in let you do anything. The guy at the end put in a little patio area

12. mrshamm

We talked to a few of our neighbors and we're going to get a petition started to request that the management allow us to hang Christmas lights. even if we all have to hang the same kind, we'd like to be able to have something make our complex look festive. I was looking at the lease and in the outdoor decorations it says:

"To preserve the beauty of our community, no communtiy members are authorized to hang outdoor decorations."

Granted our apartments are pretty but they are so uniform it's scary. We all even have the same color patio furniture.

13. Ervserver

Ervserver Guest

ghee I thought holiday decorations ARE beauty

14. dvdelf

dvdelf MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

do you all blink in unison too (simpsons reference)

15. mrshamm

lol no, we don't blink in unison. Another scary thing is you have to let the office know if you're going to be coming home after 2AM so they can authorize your entry code to open the gates. If you don't have your code authorized you'd better hope one of your neighbors is home so you can call and get them to buzz open the front gates for you...lol.

16. Ervserver

Ervserver Guest

Living like that would put a damper on my freedoms. I prefer to come n go as I please and decorate as much as I want to. I lived in a apartment for 5 years and they didn't want us to decorate either but we did anyway to some extent

17. dominick

dominick MMC Forummaster & Tech Elf Merry Forums Member

Good luck with your petition. Last year living in an apartment, we were allowed to decorate to our hearts' content.

In response to the topic, I kind of like the inflatables. I have one small 4' snowman we got real cheap on clearance last year... not sure if I want to put it up or not. The snowglobes are cool, I really like that tabletop misfit Rudolf one. Those actually require a bit of maintenance, though. The "snow" rubbing the globe builds a static charge, and it ends up clumping. I think someone said that all you have to do is open it up and spray some anti static cling spray in there. The ULTIMATE in awesome Christmas tacky inflatables has to be the new thing they have this year: 8' moving musical carousels. I love seeing them but I'd be hesitant to buy one (at around $150).

-Tony

18. sheepsnot

sheepsnot Guest

It sems like most of us are in apartments or just got out of one. Our allows liberal decorating. Folks go all out. Yu can't drill into the building, but you can decorate your windows.

19. Ervserver

Ervserver Guest

I'm starting to see more and more of the inflatables around town, I saw a 8ft pumpkin near my house. Seems like the air pumps run continually. I thought they were a inflate continually
    once type of thing and maybe have to blow a little air into them now an then.

20. dominick

dominick MMC Forummaster & Tech Elf Merry Forums Member

Nope, they run non-stop. They're not really much of a pump, though. They're not much more than an amped up computer fan on most of them.