Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Need serious help. . .

Discussion in 'Teen Talk' started by TooShort4, Nov 8, 2007.

1. TooShort4

TooShort4 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Okay. I woke up this morning and my toothache was worse. I left my dad a note saying I wasnt staying home, but I was staying home until 8 when the dentist opens to see if I could get right in and then I was going to go to school after that. Apparently he didnt read the note. Well later, I hear yelling such as "he cant go to school with a toothache? I go to work with toothaches" and "he is losing it. all i want him to do is go to school and get grades. no computer, no cell phone, no tv, no nothing" and it was loud since I woke up from it. First off, he doesn't understand how bad this is. It is bad if I ASK to go to the dentist. I am just really down and feel like running away (I'm not, but i feel like it) So, i packed up my tv, playstation, directv box, and cell phone. I am packing up my computer when he gets home. Any advice? He really just downed by Christmas mood.

2. officepro4u

officepro4u MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

OK. First of all...take a deep breath. Better?

As a parent myself of a 13 year old and 11 year old, please know that from time to time parents do overreact. Shocker, huh? We sometimes rant and rave just to vent. I don't know if he really meant it or not.

Go to the dentist and see what they say. Let your dad know when he gets home what they said. Also, if they give you prescriptions or something like that it will show him that you weren't "faking". You can even request that they give you a work or school excuse that you can show him that THEY think you should stay out for the day.

I can only speak for myself, but I know that by the time I got home from work and whatever was stressing me out in the morning, is most likely gone or subsided.

I think every kid in the known universe has wanted to run away. Me included. But trust me, it will be okay. It is hard when you are hurting and you don't feel well to have someone yell at you!

Just know that parents aren't perfect and we make mistakes all the time!!

I hope this helps and I sure hope you feel better soon! Keep us informed.

"Mama" Diana

3. Annette1990

Annette1990 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Yes take a breather...all will be fine. You do need to make a dental appt. ASAP...the solution I gave you last night is only a temporary solution. If you can't get into a dentist right away then you need to call your family doctor so you can get some antibiotics. A dentist really can't do much (ie" filling etc) until the infection is cleared up...so either your doctor or dentist should prescribe an antibiotic. Take care...

4. Maureen

Maureen Merry Forums Super Administrator MMC Lifer Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award

I agree with Diana. We do tend, on occasion, to shout first and calm down later - sorry about that, but we're only human!!

Get to the dentist/doctor. It sounds nasty and I don't think it'll clear up by itself so you have to get an appointment pronto. You're right; the fact you're asking to go should be the clincher that you're not faking but sometimes, we can overlook the basics in the heat of the moment.

Your dad will come round and if you end up on antibiotics and a course of treatment, will feel bad for yelling. A warning -he will probably come up with another reason for chewing you out in the first place (we tend to do that too!) just to detract from him feeling bad!

My son's 16 and we get it wrong a lot but I know, overall he's a nice kid (other people like him so that's good, right?!) and I have no doubt your family feel the same way about you. The fact you are on a Christmas Website says an awful lot about you!!!

Chin up, this too will pass - let us know how you get on with the toothache (and your dad)

5. TooShort4

TooShort4 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Thanks. Yeah, went to the dentist, and stuff. Everything worked out. I just need to get my grades up.

6. Montana's Santa

Montana's Santa Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

It's amazing how much emphasis parents will place on grades... but then almost all of us are judged on performance at one time or another in our lives. I never enjoyed school myself until I started finding ways to use the different classes in my day-to-day life and then things went better. Parents really care, they just don't know how to show it sometimes... you'd be surprised to learn how many times what appears to be anger is really concern...

7. Head Elf

Head Elf Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Each and everyone of you that has offered inspirational advice on Parents and such, did a great job. Sometimes, we (parents) forget what it's like to be a young adult. We have forgotten how stressful school is and all the aspects of high school, (ie teachers, girlfriends, friends, dressing out for P.E.) and stuff like that. I'm glad you went to the dentist. I know I use to "react" the very same way you do, I use to pack up all the stuff my parents gave me and walk it all out to them and say " here, I'm obviously not worth the gifts". It didn't always work...... but do the best on bringing your grades up and the parental units will have something else to yell, gripe, moan about. But all in all, they love you! You're really a good kid, keep up the good work, now... go hug your mother and tell her that you love her and watch the shocked look on her face. Then do it to your dad. That'll be even funnier!

8. pbrbullrider

pbrbullrider Guest

my addvise is to stay away form the dentist lololol

Jeff G. "bullrider"

9. WinnerClyde

WinnerClyde Christmas Fan Merry Forums Member

Maybe you should just have a long talk with your Dad, try to explain to him about the situation.

10. VeryWelshXmasLover

VeryWelshXmasLover MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Sorry to hear that you are feeling down. Hope that your tooth gets better and that all works out ok (as WinnerClyde said, maybe a talk with you dad would help)

11. Faith4always

Faith4always MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

If you need help getting your grades up, I'm sure some of us could help you study if you have questions or get "stuck" on some homework.
    We home school. My oldest son is 18 and graduated last year.
    Lydia is 16 (17 in a week or two) and she's in 11th grade.
    Destiny is in 8th grade.
    So - if there's anything I personally can help with...just send me a PM or something. Post here too.
    Your grades are very important.
    Is your toothache better? Those things can make you miserable!
    Hang in there!

12. Maureen

Maureen Merry Forums Super Administrator MMC Lifer Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award

Can I just make a small point here?? This thread was originally posted LAST November - as in 2007!!

I'm sure he'll be grateful for all your good wishes though

:))

13. YellowSnow

YellowSnow Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer

LOL!! Good catch Maureen.

14. Big Ned

Big Ned Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member

Running away is never the answer to any problems, but first YOU need to make an appointment to your dentist, then ask a family member to take you if asking your Dad is impossible or your mom.. I raised my kids by myself after my ex left me 2 weeks before Christmas back in 1989, that was horrible for all of us especially 2 weeks before, but we made it and I raised my kids myself after that, but when they had ailments I listened because as a parent you can tell if they are faking, but I feel for ya, I would make the appointment and go for your own sake, maybe the dentist will call your Dad and explain then it will calm down a bit...Good luck and keep us posted !!!!:snowball:

15. Maureen

Again, I'm sure he'll see these kind wishes for himself but this thread was originally started LAST November (2007) I do know that the toothache has been resolved, though!!!!!