Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

New Years Eve Traditions

Discussion in 'Christmas Countdown' started by xmastidings, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Coen

Coen Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Premiere Member

We like to get together with good friends somewhere in the afternoon. We will do shopping for the evening, cook an easy dinner together and just sit, eat, drink, talk and laugh. The whole day for us is basically about being together, setting things up for the evening and having a great time. Not everyone may be there as we start preparing, some will come in throughout the day, but everyone is there in the end. As midnight draws near we'll light our fireworks and after wishing everyone a happy new year we'll just eat and drink a bit more before going to bed. New year's is all about friends for me whereas Christmas is more about family. It's why I love December as much as I do. It's the month where I spend a lot of time with all the people that are important to me.

2. novelist

novelist Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer

My husband I enjoy a quiet NYE at home. Sometimes we have an assortment of appetizers, or I'll make a special dinner. Afterwards, we relax, watch movies, or tv. If stay up until midnight, fine, but lately, we're usually in bed before then.

3. AuntieMistletoeDear

AuntieMistletoeDear MMC Hostess of Christmas Online MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

The best NYE I've experienced were as a child when my parents held a party for their friends and a few relatives and we went to my cousins and celebrated there. At midnight we'd run up and down the street with our noise makers, my brother would play his trumpet and we would have lots of yummy snacks and call my parents to wish them a Happy New Year. We'd sleep over at my cousins so my parents could sleep in the next day. One New Year's Eve as a teenager, we went sliding down the ski hill on cardboard and sang rock songs and Christmas songs all the way home. I was never one to go out to pubs or bars on New Year's Eve, but I did once and found it too crowded for my liking and the only people I knew were the ones I went with so it didn't have that close-knit feeling I grew up with.

We're more like that these days although I try and have a nap in the afternoon so I can stay up on MMC to greet the New Year with merry chums from around the world. I love watching the fireworks on TV from Australia in the morning and then New York at midnight Eastern Time.

4. xmastidings

xmastidings Santa's Mentor MMC Lifer MMC Donor

About 30 years ago, they used to have these marathons on TV on New Years Eve, New Years Day, like the Marx brothers, 3 stooges, etc... I liked that. I don't see that much any more and I miss seeing that.

5. Tim Babb

Tim Babb Twinkle Light Checker MMC Donor MMC Partner MMC Premiere Member Santa's Elf

I tried to start a new tradition at my house where we watch When Harry Met Sally (since the climax of the movie takes place on New Year's Eve)

Fun fact, if you start the movie at 10:30:30PM (30 seconds after 10:30, in case that's not clear), the count down to midnight in the movie will sync up with the actual New Year's countdown

6. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

I used to do that with "The Gold Rush" (Charlie Chaplin). It has a New Year's Eve scene too.

7. JollyHeather

JollyHeather Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

For me it is depending on what my work scheduled is. Last year we just got back from a 6 week trip through Queensland Australia and got home at about 9 in the evening. We just relaxed a little, watched the fireworks of all the neighbors and went to bed after that. Thinking back it has been more or less the same the years before. We usually have something special to eat, play a board game and just chitchat about the past year.
    At the same time we try to keep the cat as chill as possible but she is so scared of all the fireworks she will hide for most of the time.

8. AuntieMistletoeDear

AuntieMistletoeDear MMC Hostess of Christmas Online MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

Huge Marx Brothers Fan! My brothers and I used to put on skits for our parents friends (like the Family Von Trapp only different), we often chose Marx Brothers bits to do when we couldn't think up something of our own.

9. ballcoach

ballcoach Guest

Home with the wife and the MMC crew on the countdown thread. It's the best!

10. Martine

Martine Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

We have a nice quiet evening at home, with a nice meal and some snacks. We watch all the comedic year-end shows on tv. Husband and I keep meaning to stay up till midnight to ring in the new year, but we never make it. We're more Christmas people than New Year's.

11. Edge612

Edge612 Christmas Royalty MMC Premiere Member

I don't drink alcohol so that (for a lot of people) defeats the purpose of New Years Eve. But for me it's more mental. I think about how the holiday season is ending (sadly) but how exciting it is that we're going to start a brand new year. Where my life is and where I'm going in to the new year.
    I almost went last year to the local ball drop they have but it was about 10 degrees out. I stayed home, relaxed and watched the ball drop with my family. Nothing too exciting...unlike Christmas Eve. Now that's a different story :)...for a different thread...

12. Michael Austin

Michael Austin MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

13. Michael Austin

I think that having special snacks for New Year's Eve only is great ! I suppose I'm ritually-minded so this appeals to me.

14. Michael Austin

I think scarfing Christmas cookies post-Christmas is the way to go ! Peg Bracken once suggested that if you were making cookies for Christmas to put up a stash of them for eating after Christmas. I think they tast better then.

15. Christmasstar

Christmasstar one Crazy Canadian ! MMC Lifer

I love reading all these posts and laughed when reading that so many like me struggle to even stay awake that long LOL!
    When I was a kid mom and dad rented the film projector from the library and we watched movies dad borrowed, the favourite every year was Laurel and Hardy's "March of the Wooden Soldiers" Dad would run it backwards with the sound on, it was funny. We also did bingo game with prizes. And the ever popular croquets and oilbollen (Dutch). as treats. Our parents had to wake some of us up for the main event at midnight and dad would go outside and fire off a few rounds with his gun.
    Now, I stil like to just stay home. This year my girls are coming over and we are doing the croquets and oilbollen, watching a movie or two and watching the ball drop somewhere.
    And yes, struggle to stay awake till midnight !

16. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

It will be a cosy evening at home with my husband and two sons watching TV, playing games and enjoying festive food and snacks. We have a mini party with just the four of us and wait up to welcome the new year. It is kind of a wrap up of the season. We like to remember special moments through out the past year and talk about what we would like to do in the new one.

17. prancer

prancer Rudolph's Groomer MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Sounds wonderful Festive...Have a fab time playing games and enjoying festive food and snacks...Thats what its all about..Spending time with your loved one's:)

18. AuntieMistletoeDear

To make things a bit more special, my husband and I often dress up on New Year's Eve and order something in from a favourite restaurant instead of cooking for ourselves.

19. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

I am thinking about ordering this New year's eve too!

Have a wonderful time celebrating! Best wishes for 2016!

xmastidings likes this.
  20. RileyIreland

RileyIreland MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

images.jpg We are having a party this year. I homeschool my boys and have become very good friends with a few other families. So hopefully we will have a few laughs and play some games :) Happy New Year's Eve, Eve :)