Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Planning For Christmas 2016

Discussion in 'Christmas Countdown' started by prancer, Jan 9, 2016.

1. prancer

prancer Rudolph's Groomer MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

As we remember the joys of christmas 2015....Has anyone started planning ahead for Christmas 2016...I love planning ahead for the big day as it takes a lot of stress away when the Festive season gets rolling...This year i want all new decorations for outside and i want it to be a bigger display..Ive been looking at a 3 carriage train to go around a real christmas tree also i am looking at new santa and sleigh silhouette...How about you guys any new ideas for christmas 2016?

2. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

Oh, yes ... I could use some reliable C7 light strings for my outdoor tree; we're already planning the next Christmas DVD of film and TV clips; thinking about what songs to program on our Kringle Radio hours; already have a few gifts stashed away---Christmas 2016 isn't far from my mind. Keeping a list of notes of things I want to do (or do differently), and things I will need to buy. All this, by the way, before I've even taken down 2015's tree! It's one way of chasing the PCBs.

Ryan, Lynn68, MsRose and 2 others like this.
  3. prancer

Thats fantastic MerryCarey....Its brilliant to be way ahead planning for a bigger better christmas:)

Ryan, MsRose and MerryCarey like this.
  4. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler MMC Emeritus Member

Already planning where stuff might go and the big Christmas Den makeover. For several years I have pondered the notion of either a Santa workshop or a total room redone into a North Pole type of Christmas layout.Complete with wall paintings or a wallpaper of some favorite scenes from a movie. Also plan on upgrading our movies to mainly B.R. and ditch the old vhs to dvd copies I made if replacements are available.

5. Michael Austin

Michael Austin MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I've got a set of rubber nativity molds for making a plaster statue nativity set and that is my first idea for Christmas 2016. Some of us may remember the old Bersted Hobbycraft latex molds. The set I have is not that one; I think Bersted is long gone. Mine is much sturdier and has 11 pieces. I obtained it from:
    Europacrafts Limited
    Unit 14
    Acorn Industrial Estate
    Bontoft Avenue
    HULL, HU5 4HF
    Tel: No. 1482 491447
    www.europacrafts.com
    I pass this info along should anyone feel inclined to make a set out of nostalgia or profit motive or whatever.
    Although the Bersted rubber molds are no longer made I did find a set of the plaster figures made from the Bersted molds on Ebay a year ago. I purchased them and intend to make a set of rubber molds from them to produce the smaller set I remember making as a child.

MsRose likes this.
  6. NcGunny

Some of our updates have already started. Dvd's are ordered thxs to Amazon. I have bought 6 new sets of Noma Bubble Lights. 4 older sets will donate their bulbs for replacements when needed. (Alot cheaper to buy a new set for spares) A new tree from Balsam Hill will replace the oldest we have and it had free shipping. Luckily I bought enough clearance mini lights at a buck or two a box to strip their bulbs for replacements also. I cant find the GE bulk bulbs anymore. Kinda been pacing myself..gotta make it through the summer. Garland is going to be a big issue also this year,waiting on Bronners June restocking for the season to see whats new. Updates to come.. specially on the Christmas den

Lynn68, MsRose and snowflake22 like this.
  7. Peanuts

Peanuts Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

This year will be an all new Christmas for me. I am getting married in August and we will have to decide what all to buy and where to put it in our new place. We are both Christmas nuts and already have numerous decorations, but I'm sure we'll end up buying a lot more since it will be our first Christmas together married and have our own place to decorate this year. We are also going to have to decide how we are going to divide time up so we can also spend time with our families.

Ryan, Lynn68, MsRose and 1 other person like this.
  8. NcGunny

I tried that Peanut with my first wife. Our families lived close together..was the old run here exchange gifts..pig out! Load up and go another place..exchange gifts..pig out! It can be done but its stressful. Its always nice to buy decorations together and plan. Just remember you have yours and she has hers..2 trees might be needed for awhile. You each share a tree or some of my buddies have 2 trees..his and her tree.

Lynn68, MsRose and Peanuts like this.
  9. Peanuts

Peanuts Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

Thank you for the advice!!! The majority of our immediate families live within about 20 minutes of us. We have been talking about doing some Christmas Eve and some Christmas day to split it up, so I'm hoping it won't be too stressful. That is a good idea about the two trees as well. We both have ornaments and other decorations that are sentimental to us.

MsRose likes this.
  10. NcGunny

You will make it Peanut..lol. almost all of us have went through the same things you will. Lol..you can plan and at the last minute someone will throw a monkey wrench into it and mess it all up. Its just part of the fun.

Peanuts and MsRose like this.
  11. Lynn68

Lynn68 Santa Clausologist MMC Lifer

Well I moved to Calgary from Toronto last November to be with my boyfriend and we didn't have a place of our own for my first Christmas here. We did celebrate with his family but in a small way, I felt like it wasn't a proper Christmas because I missed my family back in Toronto very much. This coming Christmas will be a whole lot better and will feel way more Christmasy because my honey and I now have our own place. I've already decided where the Christmas tree is going to go, and that we're putting lights in the windows and on the balcony. I'm way more excited about this Christmas. I can't wait to bake goodies and create Christmas crafts and decorate our home. I'm looking forward to celebrating this year!

Ryan and snowflake22 like this.
  12. snowflake22

snowflake22 *Harlowe's Mom* MMC Lifer Louann Jeffries Award

Great to see you, Lynn!
    Hope you're doing well~
    How exciting to be in your new place for Christmas, lots to look forward to!
    Sending hugs!
    Have a Merry night! :)

Ryan and Lynn68 like this.
  13. Lynn68

14. Lynn68

Hello! Thank you so much, it's been so long since I've been here on MMC. I've popped in now and again, but I've missed it so much. Having my own place just gives me that amazing Christmas feeling again. It feels good being back with my MMC friends!

'Tis the season, Ryan and snowflake22 like this.
  15. snowflake22

snowflake22 *Harlowe's Mom* MMC Lifer Louann Jeffries Award

Missed seeing you here, too-welcome back!
    Enjoy your new place :)
    I bet you have the perfect spot in mind for your tree!

'Tis the season, Ryan and Lynn68 like this.
  16. Lynn68

Oh yes I do, right beside our balcony door so everyone walking by outside can see how beautiful it looks. We'll be putting lights on the balcony itself as well. I can't wait.

'Tis the season, Ryan and snowflake22 like this.
  17. prancer

Since ive had a bit of time on my hands lately ive been planning for the season ahead...I was thinking of having 2 tree's either side of the front door and also having a snowman porch cover for the outside light...I have also been looking at a snow projector for the front of the house...So a few of my ideas for christmas 2016...

Holiday, Ryan and snowflake22 like this.
  18. prancer

19. Ryan

Ryan Christmas Podmaster MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Crew

Those snow projectors are pretty cool! I bet the trees on either side of the door will look lovely. Happy planning!

'Tis the season and prancer like this.
  20. ejagno

ejagno Mistletoe Hanger MMC Premiere Member

Dancer, those cutlery holders are just adorable. At that price it's cheaper and easier to purchase them than to make them.

I'm so thrilled to have all of the major gifts purchased and wrapped, with the exception of the bows and ribbons. Of course those would be my grandbabies. The only things left are the adult stockings and gift baskets for DH's staff. Those won't take long since I already have plans to monogram them each a Yetti cup and include coffee/fast food gift cards since they're always on the road traveling. DH wants a specific golf club driver so that one is easy.

I've spent most of this month sewing and planning our annual holiday slumber party for the grandkids. I made them each a custom pillow case with their specific favorite themed characters. I made them each a gingerbread apron for our Christmas cookie decorating event. I'll take them home with me after Thanksgiving lunch and keep them through the weekend so the parents can do their Black Friday shopping and wrapping without prying eyes. We have lots of movies and junk food for our movie night and even the fixings for s'mores in the fireplace. I've printed out the Christmas Bingo cards for them to play and I've selected some cute little prizes for the winners. I've pulled out a Christmas tree that will be used for them to decorate only. This is my favorite part of planning Christmas.