Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Real lit candles on xmas tree

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by Ervserver, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Ervserver

Ervserver Guest

anyone here do that? I've seen a tree like it on a Martha Stewart special once. Seems like a jumbo fire hazard but it shore looks cool. :)

2. dvdelf

dvdelf MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

"oooh how pretty. AAAAHHHHHH my house!"
    sounds pretty, wouldnt want to try it. especially with the cat

3. Michael Rielly

Michael Rielly MMC Master of SantaClausology MMC Partner Santa's Elf Christmas Crew

:lol:

4. dvdelf

whats that sound? MEERRRROOOOOWWWOOOWW!
    is the cats tail on fire?

5. sheepsnot

sheepsnot Guest

I have never used chat slang before, but that was a real LOL occasion. I'm still laughing as I type.

6. dvdelf

does that rank up there with the other one that made your wife think your nuts

7. sheepsnot

sheepsnot Guest

I can't remember what the occasion was for that one. Subject change: We're having a big storm tonight and a cold front is moving through. You remember cold fronts?

8. dvdelf

cold gront here is apparently 80 degrees

9. MarthaK

MarthaK Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Pay no attention to Martha Stewart....

I like her taste, but gave up on her craft ideas the year she put actual GOLD LEAF on her Christmas cookies (ah...lady...I have better things to do with real gold than donate it to the county water system)...She also made tiny gift boxes out of walnut shells. Since I'm not related to Stuart Little, I had little use for that one, too.

I don't need actual fire to make my tree a hazard. Mine is loaded down with extra-warm lights (C-7s and bubble lights). By the time New Year's Day arrives that puppy's ready to BLOW.

10. dvdelf

Marthas got the fireworks ready

11. dvdelf

Marthas got the fireworks ready

12. Ervserver

Ervserver Guest

She prolly hires someone to watch her tree all night so it don't catch fire

:eek:

13. trackrebel

trackrebel candy cane hustla MMC Lifer

I love seeing trees with real lights...but I´m kinda scared of the tree catching fire....we have a young cat....and she was sitting in our tree half of December...so the real candles would probably destroy our house.....or burn my cat

14. Annette1990

Annette1990 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I bet it does look pretty but I would never do something like that. Too much of a hazard and I am not big on taking chances. I get paranoid lighting regular candles that sit on the counter tops as is.

15. snowytree

snowytree MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I think that maybe that would be a fire hazard(don't they have lights that look like real candles?) As far as it goes for Martha...I like some of her ideas but some of the things are just way out in left field somewhere. LOL I had no idea she put gold leaf on some cookies but it totally doesnt surprise me.

16. kelly ann

kelly ann Christmasologist Merry Forums Member

This Martha person sounds like a total wacko!! But thats just my opinion!!

17. joyful

joyful MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Well when real candles were used on Christmas trees, they only had them lit for a short while and someone always stood by with a bucket of water. I'm not kidding, it's true.
    I can't imagine having water logged decorations and back then many of the tree's decorations were made of paper and straw.
    Progress can be a wonderful thing.

18. Petronius

Petronius Ornament Craftsman Merry Forums Member

Christmas Tree-candle lit

19. Reindeer Herder

Reindeer Herder Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I have always wanted to have a small (3-3 1/2') candle-lit table top balsam, not to replace the main tree, but for Christmas Eve after church. I know they're dangerous but my Bavarian/German soul just stirs for one.