Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

St. Nicholas Day

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by sugar142286, Dec 5, 2019.

1. sugar142286

sugar142286 North Pole's RN MMC Lifer

Who celebrate's St. Nick Day with their family/kids? We do this in our house, not only for the fun, but also for religious reasons. Tomorrow is December 6th and is St. Nicholas Day. My kids will be putting their shoes out before bed, at their bedroom door and will wake up to a small toy or two, and some treats from St. Nick. For those who know don't the background behind St. Nick Day, I included some info:

Saint Nicholas Day, or the Feast of Saint Nicholas,[3] observed on December 5/6 in Western Christian countries and December 19 in Eastern Christian countries on the Old Calendar, is the feast day of Saint Nicholas.[4] It is celebrated as a Christian festival with particular regard to his reputation as a bringer of gifts, as well as through the attendance of Mass or other worship services.[5][6] In Europe, especially in "Germany and Poland, boys would dress as bishops begging alms for the poor."[7] In Ukraine, children wait for St. Nicholas to come and to put a present under their pillows provided that the children were good during the year. Children who behaved badly may expect to find a twig or a piece of coal under their pillows. In the Netherlands, Dutch children put out a clog filled with hay and a carrot for Saint Nicholas' horse. On Saint Nicholas Day, gifts are tagged with personal humorous rhymes written by the sender.[8] In the United States, one custom associated with Saint Nicholas Day is children leaving their shoes in the foyer on Saint Nicholas Eve in hope that Saint Nicholas will place some coins on the soles.[4]

The American Santa Claus, as well as the British Father Christmas, derive from Saint Nicholas. "Santa Claus" is itself derived in part from the Dutch Sinterklaas, the saint's name in that language. However the gift giving associated with these descendant figures is associated with Christmas Dayrather than Saint Nicholas Day itself.[6]

My kids enjoy this tradition every year and DH and I enjoy it as well. It give us something else to celebrate, teach our children about, and have fun with them. If you don't do this with your children, it's something to consider. If you do decide to try it, let me know what your kids, grandkids, nieces, nephews, furbabies think!

[​IMG]

Dudley likes this.
  2. HollyJolly

HollyJolly Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer MMC Donor

When I was little, I lived in Germany for a few years. St. Nick was stern...almost scary. Not as scary as Krampus though! Krampus was all the incentive we needed to be good!

3. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

St. Nick came early to our house & brought Jim a chocolate advent calendar & me a wine advent calendar! LOL! (I got the better end of that deal....but I'm sharing!)

When I was little St. Nick always came after supper on Dec. 5th after - he would knock on the window while I was doing dishes, &/or ring sleigh bells outside the window & he let a big bowl of candy in our breezeway! Good memories! :)

Dudley likes this.
  4. Petronius

Petronius Ornament Craftsman Merry Forums Member

St. Nicholas Day in Austria in 1934