Thanksgiving Day Dessert - Pie, cake or both

Anne_Langston

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Dec 27, 2010
SF Bay Area
We do both pie _and_ cake, and usually throw in banana pudding and pumpkin cheesecake for good measure. Everything worth doing is worth overdoing, right?cheesy

Reactions: 5 people

GingerMel

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Nov 1, 2006
Clinton, CT
LOL!!! :lol:

Do you have a recipe that you can share?cheesy

http://www.marthastewart.com/312503/pecan-pie

That's the one that I usually follow. It sounds SLIGHTLY complicated if you make the crust but it's TOTALLY not. Plus, if you didn't want to make the crust you could always buy a frozen store bought crust.

It's ridiculously easy.

One year I made an apple pie, with a double cheddar pie crust, that took me about 2.5 hours and then a pecan pie that I made in about 15 minutes (not including baking times). My apple pie was not that great and my pecan pie ruled. Since then = ALWAYS pecan pie.

Reactions: 5 people

Spyells

Sugar Cookie Tester
MMC Member
Sep 25, 2011
California
For Thanksgiving, my family usually bakes cakes. We normally have chocolate cake with vanilla frosting and yellow cake with chocolate frosting. For Christmas, my grandma bakes her amazing sweet potato pies. :dance:

Reactions: 3 people

leah

Chestnut Roaster
MMC Member
Aug 19, 2011
Kansas City, MO
Pie! I am a huge cake fan, but for the holidays.. pie for sure. I have my mom's side of the family's Thanksgiving on sunday and i'm making a peanut butter pie... pretty excited about it...

Reactions: 4 people

BoxerMom

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Jul 2, 2012
I am def both...I love pumpkin pie, cheesecake and then my BIL's mother comes to our house for Thanksgiving as well and she makes the best brownies with cream cheese in them...They are SO good!

Reactions: 4 people

xmastidings

North Pole Resident
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Oct 5, 2010
Connecticut
Pie! I am a huge cake fan, but for the holidays.. pie for sure. I have my mom's side of the family's Thanksgiving on sunday and i'm making a peanut butter pie... pretty excited about it...

Thanks Leah! Oh, that sounds good! Do you have a recipe that you could share with us?

I am def both...I love pumpkin pie, cheesecake and then my BIL's mother comes to our house for Thanksgiving as well and she makes the best brownies with cream cheese in them...They are SO good!

Thanks BoxerMom! Brownies with cream cheese does sound really good! Do you have a recipe for those?

Seawaters

MMC Christmas Angel 1954-2020
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 8, 2008
California
www.southernchristmasnights.com
Sweet potato pie is one of my favorites. We always had sweet potato pie and pumpkin pie which made it hard to determine which pie was which. The test was in the taste. In the South, at least in our household, sweet potato pie was made using vanilla flavoring and not the other pumpkin pie spices. It is so fantastic! My grandmother was German and used her own recipe. When I made a pie for a Thanksgiving dinner at the home of a friend, my friend's mom could not believe it--she was from Jamaica and that is how they made their sweet potato pies. It was definitely a hit at dinner.

We usually have sweet potato pie and a cheesecake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ponytramp

Dashing through the snow ..
MMC Lifer
Sep 21, 2019
new england
1661957153763.jpeg

This one looks like it has 3 pies within cake and then they're stacked together to make one big cake. It looks like the bottom layer is pumpkin pie that's in maybe a spice cake. The second layer is apple pie in a yellow cake. Top layer looks to be cherry pie within a yellow cake. Stack them on top of each other, throw some frosting on it and you're done. I guess it's a way to enjoy a little of everything.

Solice

Christmas Royalty
MMC Lifer
Dec 31, 2008
Scandinavian
Dessert: Homemade Cheesecake, Queen Maud's dessert and maybe a carrot cake

I also would like to try to make Pumpkin pie for the first time

KimB

North Pole's Auditor
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 19, 2019
DB Shores, Florida
I usually made an assortment of desserts. Cakes, pies, cookies, etc. I think the one most people like is:

Kim’s Raspberry/Chocolate Cheesecake

1.5 cups of ground walnuts or you can use a graham cracker crust
1 T melted butter
32 ounces full fat cream cheese – room temperature
1 ¼ cups sugar
3 extra large eggs or 4 regular ones
1 cup full fat sour cream
1 t vanilla extract
2.5 cups of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (depends on how much you like dark chocolate)
½ cup raspberry preserves
¼ cup heavy cream

Add the melted butter to the walnuts or prepare a graham cracker crust

Press the “crust” into the bottom of a springform pan

Mix 24 ounces of the cream cheese and sugar until blended. Add the eggs, sour cream and vanilla

Pour the mixture over the crust.

Melt 1.5 cups of the chocolate, then add the remaining cream cheese (8 oz.) and preserves. Mix

Drop the mixture by table spoons full over the batter. Push it slightly down into the batter. Don’t swirl it.

Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 25 minutes. Take it out and loosen the rim of the pan. Let it cool, then remove the pan. I usually place it on a large plate.

Put the remaining chocolate and heavy cream into a small pot and heat just until smooth. Spread it over the cheesecake and refrigerate.

LadyLynn

The Christmas Freak
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 22, 2020
Riverton, Utah
I usually made an assortment of desserts. Cakes, pies, cookies, etc. I think the one most people like is:

Kim’s Raspberry/Chocolate Cheesecake

1.5 cups of ground walnuts or you can use a graham cracker crust
1 T melted butter
32 ounces full fat cream cheese – room temperature
1 ¼ cups sugar
3 extra large eggs or 4 regular ones
1 cup full fat sour cream
1 t vanilla extract
2.5 cups of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (depends on how much you like dark chocolate)
½ cup raspberry preserves
¼ cup heavy cream

Add the melted butter to the walnuts or prepare a graham cracker crust

Press the “crust” into the bottom of a springform pan

Mix 24 ounces of the cream cheese and sugar until blended. Add the eggs, sour cream and vanilla

Pour the mixture over the crust.

Melt 1.5 cups of the chocolate, then add the remaining cream cheese (8 oz.) and preserves. Mix

Drop the mixture by table spoons full over the batter. Push it slightly down into the batter. Don’t swirl it.

Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 25 minutes. Take it out and loosen the rim of the pan. Let it cool, then remove the pan. I usually place it on a large plate.

Put the remaining chocolate and heavy cream into a small pot and heat just until smooth. Spread it over the cheesecake and refrigerate.
My daughter's birthday is this coming Saturday and her favorite dessert is cheese cake. I am going to give this a go for her birthday cake. Thank you for sharing.

WintersElf

Christmasologist
MMC Lifer
MMC Premiere
Christmas Talk Alum
Jul 31, 2015
WinterWonderland -Florida
well thanksgiving is always moms homemade pumkin pies...she passed in january this year so im gonna try her recipe this year on my own for my family..

Reactions: xmastidings

KimB

North Pole's Auditor
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 19, 2019
DB Shores, Florida
Today I made a Publix run to stock up on holiday staples. I don't eat processed food during the year so I don't stock sugar, flour, etc. but I do make a HUGE exception for the holidays.

I think, for Thanksgiving, I'll make my lemon cake and a deep dish apple pie. I can give the leftovers to people living alone in our building or my SIL.

My cart was so full I could hardly push it around the store. If your store is out of eggnog, I can tell you where it all is. I don't drink it but I saw at least 100 quarts of it from three different manufacturers, even an organic one. None of the rows had shortages so I bought what I'll need for Thanksgiving and Christmas except things like sour cream, heavy cream, extra eggs, etc.

I hope I have the energy when it's time to start baking.

LadyLynn

The Christmas Freak
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 22, 2020
Riverton, Utah
Today I made a Publix run to stock up on holiday staples. I don't eat processed food during the year so I don't stock sugar, flour, etc. but I do make a HUGE exception for the holidays.

I think, for Thanksgiving, I'll make my lemon cake and a deep dish apple pie. I can give the leftovers to people living alone in our building or my SIL.

My cart was so full I could hardly push it around the store. If your store is out of eggnog, I can tell you where it all is. I don't drink it but I saw at least 100 quarts of it from three different manufacturers, even an organic one. None of the rows had shortages so I bought what I'll need for Thanksgiving and Christmas except things like sour cream, heavy cream, extra eggs, etc.

I hope I have the energy when it's time to start baking.
Kim, I hope you didn't overdo it. That sounds like a lot in one day--especially with the huge cart.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image