Thanksgiving Day Traditions

Head Elf

Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Christmas Talk Alum
Jul 8, 2007
N.E. Arizona
Does anyone have any Thanksgiving traditions? Ours was watching the Macy's Parade then eating the huge dinner with the whole family. Then watching a football game.

SnowMaiden1018

Eggnog Chugger
MMC Lifer
Apr 14, 2007
Bristol, Pa
same here DvdGuy. The Parade to start the day while the cooking was getting done, then dinner, maybe watch the game then Rudolph the Red nose Reindeer!

Head Elf

Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Christmas Talk Alum
Jul 8, 2007
N.E. Arizona
I guess that's the standard answer here in the States. Seeing as it's just the two of us here, it's usally nice outside and I can start decorating the outside.

kgstyles

Mistletoeologist
MMC Lifer
Nov 12, 2006
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Watch the parade, watch the game, watch my belly grow, and if I'm not too full I'll start putting up lights and stuff.

Ali

Holiday Fangirl
MMC Lifer
Apr 12, 2007
England via Canada
No parades or american football over here unfortunately. However I do celebrate the Canadian Thanksgiving in October. I make a turkey dinner for the two of us and look forward to Halloween! :boo:

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
The parade,
Make pepperoni bread for the football games.
My hubby goes to the local high school football game.
After dinner we ladies plan our shopping trip for the next day.

This will be the first year we are hosting Thanksgiving Dinner. Should be interesting to see if we create any new traditions.

SnowMaiden1018

Eggnog Chugger
MMC Lifer
Apr 14, 2007
Bristol, Pa
Minta
Pepperoni Bread sounds fantasic
care to share a recipe???
PLEASE!! lol

cheesy

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
Minta
Pepperoni Bread sounds fantasic
care to share a recipe???
PLEASE!! lol

cheesy
here is my recipe
frozen - premade pizza dough - follow the directions for the package for thawing.
Once it is thawed, stretch it out slowing with hands and rolling it out with a rolling pin until it is in an oval shape.
Spread a layer of mozzerella cheese all in the center - leaving about a inch gap around the edge. Put a layer of pepperoni (over lap the edges of pepperoni with each other). Sprinkle garlic salt/powder (either one is fine) Repeat layers of cheese and pepperoni.
Take one of the long sides and start rolling it in until you have it all rolled up into a log. Place on a cookie sheet with the crease on the bottom. Fold the ends over. Place a few small slits at the top of the log to let the air escape. Sprinkle cheese on the top of the log and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes and then cut into slices.

SnowMaiden1018

Eggnog Chugger
MMC Lifer
Apr 14, 2007
Bristol, Pa
Oh...My...Mouth is watering!!
thanks!:treeguy:

Sunshine73

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 26, 2005
Illinois
We're not football fans in our house so Thanksgiving involves the Macy's Parade then off to someone's house (either my mom's or his, depending on whose turn it is) for a huge turkey dinner with family and then back home to watch Christmas movies (usually "It's a Wonderful Life") in the evening!

tnchristmas

Christmas Fan
MMC Member
Jul 23, 2007
Many years ago my sisters (and sometimes my Dad) and I would get up early on Thanksgiving morning to go to the Salvation Army to help them get ready for the dinner they serve. We didn't stay to serve (since it was usually too close to our family dinner time), but we'd help set tables and then wrap gifts which had been donated for Christmas. My hometown is blessed with many volunteers, so it got to the point where it didn't seem that our help was needed. Some of the family, including me, stopped going. Well, last year, my 13 year old nephew asked me if I was going. I hadn't planned to, but I happily got up early, picked him up and headed out to help. It was such an incredibly proud moment for me, to see this teenage boy, without even being asked, getting up early on a Holiday to help those less fortunate. He has requested that it be an annual event, so this Thanksgiving morning, I will again rise early and head to his house and while everyone else is sleeping, cart him off for a quick breakfast and onto the Salvation Army. I'm hoping at some point, his younger brother and sister will ask to be included. It's a new tradition, but one that I hold very dear to my heart.

JanaBanana

*The Christmas Queen* -- Hostess,
MMC Member
Jul 29, 2007
Crawl outta bed at 4:00 am...put turkey in the oven... make snacks, clean house, get 4 kids dressed and ready.... cook some more... have dinner 1-2 pm with inlaws, watch football ... crash on the couch with the family and watch National Lampoons C-mas Vacation...
Then get up again at 4:00am next morning for Black Friday Shopping...

Ali

Holiday Fangirl
MMC Lifer
Apr 12, 2007
England via Canada
Crawl outta bed at 4:00 am...put turkey in the oven... make snacks, clean house, get 4 kids dressed and ready.... cook some more... have dinner 1-2 pm with inlaws, watch football ... crash on the couch with the family and watch National Lampoons C-mas Vacation...
Then get up again at 4:00am next morning for Black Friday Shopping...

Ack! I'm tired just reading that! :eek:

candycane

Christmas Fan
MMC Member
Sep 9, 2007
I guess this is a bit old but I'm bumping it. cheesy

I wake up and watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, which is my favorite part of the day. Then I'll help make appetizers, get ready, and go to my aunt's house with my family, or some years we go to my grandpa's and I play with all my younger cousins. Then we come home and put up the tree! :tree:and go doorbuster shopping the next morning.

I think I love thanksgiving just as much as I love Christmas, because it initiates the start of the excitement. (of course.)

sugarplum fairy

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Nov 13, 2006
Alabama
I usually get up and start cooking. I watch the parade while cooking. We go to my in-laws for Thanksgiving Day, and I try to watch a ballgame. My in-laws aren't big football fans unless it is college (mostly Alabama and Auburn), but if I can get the remote we watch football. LOL!! Friday I go shopping and hubby puts the tree up. The kids and I decorate it when I get home from shopping. Saturday, we have Thanksgiving at my mother's house with my family.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image