Thanksgiving Menu Planning NOW?

GingerMel

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Nov 1, 2006
Clinton, CT
Is anyone starting to plan their menu for Thanksgiving?

I'm almost ready for serious planning. I've started making a list...what worked last year and what didn't. I don't often make the recipes that I make on Thanksgiving, so recycling them each year is not too bad. The problem is that I see new recipes to add each year, which means my meal gets bigger and bigger.

I always use Alton Brown's Good Eats Roast Turkey recipe for my turkey...no deviation there...EVER.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

Then I make mashed potatoes (though I'm considering mashed turnips as suggested by...I think it was Laurie).

Last year this was a new recipe addition and a HUGE hit:
http://www.marthastewart.com/326904/wild-rice-with-dried-fruit-and-nuts

I picked that rice dish because it was listed as an "easy" recipe and it sounded pretty ok. I had a lot of extra mouths to feed last year (took in some of my friends who stayed in town with no family, which I LOVE doing). I was shocked...made a double batch and none was left. It made me smile.

Of course, I pulled double duty on things like the turkey, dressing, and gravy...choosing recipes that weren't super easy but that I KNEW were outstanding.

Anyways...are any of you doing any menu planning yet?

Reactions: 3 people

Julie

Chestnut Roaster
MMC Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Ohio
I'm trying to get some recipes together here and there. I usually make the Giada turkey too, but I am definitely gonna do the Alton Brown one this year. I want to try some new things, mixed in with the classics my family always has to have. :)

GingerMel

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Nov 1, 2006
Clinton, CT
OH! You guys have to link me to the Giada turkey!

rodmonster

Santa's Personal Trainer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Jul 27, 2008
Va
T

Folks - folks - folks...
I keep telling you all... its all about the TURDUCKEN!!!!
I make one every year... you can beat it!!!

Reactions: 1 person

MerryBells

wants turkey!
MMC Lifer
Sep 3, 2006
Pasadena, MD
My sister always does the planning for our dinners, because she is the main cook. The rest of us (Mom and me) got our "Assignments" last week. Of course, we discuss all this before we get our reminders, but it's funny to see the younger sister taking charge of the 'old ladies'. So far, my sister is making the turkey and stuffing, sweet potatoes with apples, mashed potatoes, gravy. I'm making green bean casserole and two kinds of cranberries. Mom always provides the rolls and fancy turkey-shaped butters. And the pumpkin pies. Yum!

snowytree

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 16, 2008
GA
I will start soon...it's not far now, and before you know it the day will be here:) I saw a magazine, I believe it was good housekeeping recipes or something like that and it looked to have some new interesting recipes. I like to try some new things, if I have the time and also make the traditional.

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Oh, I'm getting so excited! I'm hosting my families Thanksgiving this year (40 people when everybody is there) & I am so excited. I don't have my meal totally planned out yet, but my mind is racing with ideas!! My Dad makes the turkey...always has & will for as long as he can. He usually makes 2 smaller turkeys (12'ish lbs) as opposed to the larger turkey - says the meat is more moist in smaller turkeys. He is talking about smoking one this year. YUM! My sister makes the mashed potatoes. I will probably make a sweet potato casserole. Another sister always makes the homemade pumpkin pies. And then there is salad, corn, burn n serves, desserts, tons of appetizers, etc, etc, etc. Now since my nieces are older & some are married, they all bring something too. So I will have to get a plan together. I should send out an email to everybody...like soon! :grin:

When I do make a turkey, here is the recipe I use: (but now I'm curious about the others mentioned here - going to check them out next!)

Homestyle Turkey, the Michigander Way

1 (12 pound) whole turkey
6 tablespoons butter, divided
4 cups warm water
3 tablespoons chicken bouillon
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons dried minced onion
2 tablespoons seasoning salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Rinse and wash turkey. Discard the giblets, or add to pan if they are anyone's favorites.
2. Place turkey in a Dutch oven or roasting pan. Separate the skin over the breast to make little pockets. Put 3 tablespoons of the butter on both sides between the skin and breast meat. This makes for very juicy breast meat.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the water with the bouillon. Sprinkle in the parsley and minced onion. Pour over the top of the turkey. Sprinkle seasoning salt over the turkey.
4. Cover with foil, and bake in the preheated oven 3 1/2 to 4 hours, until the internal temperature of the turkey reaches 180 degrees F (80 degrees C). For the last 45 minutes or so, remove the foil so the turkey will brown nicely.

The only think I do different is I stuff the turkey with apples, onion, & celery.

Oh, how I love the Holidays!!!

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
I have been planning my menu for a few weeks now

Pepperoni bread -
Cheese and crackers tray
Fruit and veggie tray

Dinner:
Turkey
Homemade stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Mashed turnips (for my mom and aunt)
green bean casserole
corn
broccoli and cheese
olives and pickle tray
dinner rolls
cranberry sauce

Drinks:
Wine
Coffee
tea
soda
milk for the kids

Dessert: all homemade pies
Pumpkin
Sweet potatoe
Apple Crumb

GingerMel

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Nov 1, 2006
Clinton, CT
That sounds really good. Nice menu!

Mom always provides the rolls and fancy turkey-shaped butters.
I love those butters shaped like turkey! I can't find them anywhere around here. I literally saw them one year and then never again.

I can only speak for myself, but this is the particular Giada recipe I've made for the last 3 years I'd say. My family goes nuts over it.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...rbes-de-provence-and-citrus-recipe/index.html
That sounds really good. I love herbs de provence. Maybe I will add some brother with herbs to my pan while roasting. I can't open the oven to baste because it's very much against Alton Brown's rules but I can always add stuff to the pan beforehand. yay! Thanks for the idea.

40 people when everybody is there. And then there is salad, corn, burn n serves, desserts, tons of appetizers, etc, etc, etc. Now since my nieces are older & some are married, they all bring something too. So I will have to get a plan together. I should send out an email to everybody...like soon! :grin:
Thanks for the recipe! Instead of corn itself, I started making a corn "pudding" which isn't really a pudding in my opinion. It's more like a corn and sausage casserole with herbs. It's SUPER easy and you can make it in the morning, then throw it back in the oven later to heat it up.

I swear, my dream kitchen would have two full sized ovens.

Reactions: 2 people

MsChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 8, 2008
Maryland, USA
Oh, I'm getting so excited! I'm hosting my families Thanksgiving this year (40 people when everybody is there) & I am so excited. I don't have my meal totally planned out yet, but my mind is racing with ideas!! My Dad makes the turkey...always has & will for as long as he can. He usually makes 2 smaller turkeys (12'ish lbs) as opposed to the larger turkey - says the meat is more moist in smaller turkeys. He is talking about smoking one this year. YUM! My sister makes the mashed potatoes. I will probably make a sweet potato casserole. Another sister always makes the homemade pumpkin pies. And then there is salad, corn, burn n serves, desserts, tons of appetizers, etc, etc, etc. Now since my nieces are older & some are married, they all bring something too. So I will have to get a plan together. I should send out an email to everybody...like soon! :grin:

When I do make a turkey, here is the recipe I use: (but now I'm curious about the others mentioned here - going to check them out next!)

Homestyle Turkey, the Michigander Way

1 (12 pound) whole turkey
6 tablespoons butter, divided
4 cups warm water
3 tablespoons chicken bouillon
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons dried minced onion
2 tablespoons seasoning salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Rinse and wash turkey. Discard the giblets, or add to pan if they are anyone's favorites.
2. Place turkey in a Dutch oven or roasting pan. Separate the skin over the breast to make little pockets. Put 3 tablespoons of the butter on both sides between the skin and breast meat. This makes for very juicy breast meat.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the water with the bouillon. Sprinkle in the parsley and minced onion. Pour over the top of the turkey. Sprinkle seasoning salt over the turkey.
4. Cover with foil, and bake in the preheated oven 3 1/2 to 4 hours, until the internal temperature of the turkey reaches 180 degrees F (80 degrees C). For the last 45 minutes or so, remove the foil so the turkey will brown nicely.

The only think I do different is I stuff the turkey with apples, onion, & celery.

Oh, how I love the Holidays!!!

I do not have Thanksgiving at my house (we go over my In laws and also my Parents) but we are going to make a turkey the weekend before and i think Im going to try this recipe, sounds great!

I have been planning my menu for a few weeks now

Pepperoni bread -
Cheese and crackers tray
Fruit and veggie tray

Dinner:
Turkey
Homemade stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Mashed turnips (for my mom and aunt)
green bean casserole
corn
broccoli and cheese
olives and pickle tray
dinner rolls
cranberry sauce

Drinks:
Wine
Coffee
tea
soda
milk for the kids

Dessert: all homemade pies
Pumpkin
Sweet potatoe
Apple Crumb

Oh my gosh this sounds delicious!!!!

bigbearfla58

Mistletoe Hanger
MMC Lifer
Jan 14, 2008
:gobble:

Friday, Novembear 25, 2011 post Thanksgiving wrap up 7:58 a.m. -- Once again I come away from this Thanksgiving with a very full belly and the deepest sense ever of gratitude and satisfaction for being blessed with the company of friends and family on this Thanksgiving Day. Right now i have big pot of turkey stock simmering away on the stove and I am downloading pictures and videos of this years Thanksgiving feast. I hope you all had Happy Thanksgiving and that your turkey was as juicy as mine.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 I just wanted to take out time today to wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving. My turkey is in the oven and I need to run over to Wal Mart for a few more ingredients.

I'm the one in my family who is the great cook and also super organized. I start planning for Thanksgiving in August. I already have cranberry sauce, orange zest, herb butter (in the freezer) mashed potatoes (frozen) made two batches of cornbread and gone over my recipes, tips, tricks and SECRET recipes and I make sure I have all the ingredients I need for my Thanksgiving dinner.

I have reminders on my calendar, I use Excel spread sheets to organize grocery item and word documents with my secret recipes tips and methods. I do my cranberry canning in the summer time and most of all I save money I look for COUPONS to use on each item.

If you are planning on using a new recipe this year be sure to make it at least 3 times to avoid a Thanksgiving Day DISASTER!

I found a recipe for pumpkin crisp and decided to turn it into pumpkin bread pudding. I have made it 3 times and now it rocks!

Tips: During the last 2 hours of roasting if you find your turkey needs a tan melt 4tbs of unsalted butter with 2 tbs of honey until the butter melts and it just starts to bubble. Let it cool for 5 minutes. Then with a pastry brush slather on this mixture. Put the turkey back into the oven and you will get the most beautiful chestnut skin.

Right after dinner your table cloth and napkins are going to be stained. Here's how you get them all out. Mix up 1/4 of 20 Mule Team Borax with 3 tbs warm water. Make a paste and rub mixture onto all stains. Put table cloth and napkins into the sink and cover with warm water. Let that soak over night and launder the next day when you have more energy.

Focus on the joy of the experience Happy Thanksgiving

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people

lilnoelelf

Santa's Sleigh Designer
MMC Lifer
Sep 27, 2010
Monroe, Louisiana Home of Duck Dynasty
rodmonster my husband keeps talking about TURDUCKEN he has got to make it for the family! he says it's out of this world good!!

ok so far this is my menu that I made out in Aug. lol

Turkey( got it yesterday 42 lbs!!)
ham( got it too yesterday 30 lbs)
homemade cornbread stuffing
Homemade gravy
mashed taters
Cream Corn
Green Beans with Bacon
lima Beans with bacon
Butter peas
Deviled eggs (at least 8 dozen last year I made six and they was gone by that night!)
tater salad
macaroni salad
cranberry sauce
homemade mac and cheese
baked beans with bacon on top
homemade rolls
and last but not least
chocolate gooey cake
chocolate pie
pumpkin pie
peacan pie

needless to say I cook the day before and all night for this and this year the 16 year old gets to help lol!! and my family loves it! my momma did this and I just kept it going when I got old enough. so if I go M.I.A. y'all know where to find me lol

GingerMel

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Nov 1, 2006
Clinton, CT
Well, we ate so many caramel apples that I didn't get a chance to make gingerbread cookies this weekend. We were literally scarfing these apples down all day Sunday. Then someone brought us a cake over. I was like "with all these sweets I guess I am NOT making cookies."

bigbearfla58, how do you already have cranberry sauce? Did you freeze it or can it or something?

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
Oh my gosh this sounds delicious!!!!

Thanks ... I am still undecided what I will make for breakfest ... either french toast casserole or sausage hashbrown casserole .. however I am looking for a new recipe for pumpkin cinnamon rolls. If I can find a good one early to test before the big day we may go with that.

Reactions: 2 people

gabulldawg

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 29, 2010
Hill AFB,Ogden Utah
Although I am going to my inlaws for thanksgiving this year,I do want to pass along the recipe for roasted turkey from Alton Brown! thanks for posting it it looks delicious!

Chef Matt

<a href="http://sayerfoods.com"><b>MMC Recipe Mast
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 12, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah

frostyman

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Oct 22, 2009
KY
I just Love all the delicious food on Thanksgiving. I'm putting on weight just thinking about it!

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image