Thoughts on trick or treating this year.

christmas87

Santa Clausologist
MMC Lifer
Oct 10, 2007
new york
my wife and I take our kids trick or treating every year but with all these clown sightings we don't know if we should. If they are doing this before Halloween just imagine what and how far they would take it on a day where they can dress up like this. What are some thoughts about this? Does anyone think it's serious enough to skip and just give out candy and/or Halloween party?

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
From what I understand in news articles I have read, there have been numerous sightings, but very little tangible evidence---and most of those appear to be copycats and hoaxters who aren't doing violent things, just scaring people. If you and your wife are with your kids and keeping an eye out, carry flashlights with you, stay aware of your surroundings, stay in neighborhoods you know, and you should be fine. If you see something suspicious, report it to the authorities.

One caveat: The copycats and hoaxsters may be out to get some cheap laughs by scaring kids. If your kids are easily frightened or upset, you may not want to take them out. There will almost certainly be kids or adults in "scary clown" costumes to capitalize on the current "trend."

Festive Spirit

Christmas Royalty
MMC Lifer
Sep 11, 2012
England
I fully understand you wanting to protect your family from circumstances that can be upsetting and unpredictable.

What about staying within your local neighbourhood where you are familiar with the people and surroundings.It may make it a shorter evening but it's better than not going at all. Or how about joining up with other families or friends.

I agree with MC above - I think it is also about keeping your eyes and ears open and staying alert. Hard to do with excited little ones around you I know.

It is a real shame that these low lives have to spoil things for people. You should be able to go out with your kids without the burden of these fears and worry.

I hope you guys have a lovely time whatever you decide.

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
The clown thing has a daughter of mine so freaked out that she refuses right now to even attend high school football games, which is something she used to enjoy. The local police issued a bulletin saying they were on the prowl for clowns but nothing has happened, not one thing.

I pity the fool that jumps out as a clown when we're out with the grandsons. I will likely yell but Grandma is a force to be reckoned with and she will shoot to kill.

prancer

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Talk Alum
Nov 1, 2012
Its sad that this clown sightings is putting the fear into parents taking their little one's trick r treating...I agree with Festive stick too your local neighbourhood and try not let this clowns spoil your Halloween...Hope you and your family have a spooktacular Halloween night christmas87:)

christmas87

Santa Clausologist
MMC Lifer
Oct 10, 2007
new york
Yea are kids are 7 and 1 so we always go out with them and that what the schools around my way are doing for school dances and things. Not allowed to wear anything that has to do with a clown.There was a picture of a clown holding a rifle on a bridge which I found out it was in the town I live in close to where I live and close to my son's school.

As long as you and your wife are gong out with your kids, they should be fine. I heard many towns are not allowing clown costumes this year. it's so sad it has to be this way, but I guess it's better to not take any chances.

Reactions: Ryan and Edge612

christmas87

Santa Clausologist
MMC Lifer
Oct 10, 2007
new york
I feel the same way. I'm not trying to take any chances with my kids.
It's sad that your daughter can't enjoy herself or what she likes to do because of this. My son is 7 and when he found out about these "clowns" he started putting things in front of the door and wood under the door knobs. It's a good thing I'm planning on being a cop very soon.

The clown thing has a daughter of mine so freaked out that she refuses right now to even attend high school football games, which is something she used to enjoy. The local police issued a bulletin saying they were on the prowl for clowns but nothing has happened, not one thing.

I pity the fool that jumps out as a clown when we're out with the grandsons. I will likely yell but Grandma is a force to be reckoned with and she will shoot to kill.

christmas87

Santa Clausologist
MMC Lifer
Oct 10, 2007
new york
Thanks. We will try and not let it bother us.

Its sad that this clown sightings is putting the fear into parents taking their little one's trick r treating...I agree with Festive stick too your local neighbourhood and try not let this clowns spoil your Halloween...Hope you and your family have a spooktacular Halloween night christmas87:)

Suzy Snowflake

Reindeer Flight Instructor
MMC Premiere
Oct 11, 2016
Michigan
I would elect to stay in and pass out candy. You could watch a Halloween movie and enjoy some cider and donuts, or bob for apples. Your family could still dress up in costume to enjoy the evening's activities. It's a frightening world out there!!

Courtney

Makin' A Comeback!
MMC Lifer
Jul 21, 2008
Home
I wouldn't let a few bored punks ruin my holiday... but I would carry some pepper spray and show them who's boss. LOL.
Have fun with your kids! :)

Ryan

Santa's Mentor
MMC Donor
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 24, 2012
Oklahoma
We are still going out as planned, but I understand your concern. I think a lot of the clowns are just kids wanting publicity. It will taper off soon, I assume. The fad has about run its course.

Reactions: christmas87

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image