Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Top 20 Songs of 1981 - Do you remember them?

Discussion in 'Retro' started by rodmonster, Feb 1, 2011.

1. rodmonster

rodmonster Santa's Personal Trainer MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

Here are the top 20 songs of 1981....

Any good memories to share?

1. Bette Davis Eyes, Kim Carnes
    2. Endless Love, Diana Ross and Lionel Richie
    3. Lady, Kenny Rogers
    4. (Just Like) Starting Over, John Lennon
    5. Jessie's Girl, Rick Springfield
    6. Celebration, Kool and The Gang
    7. Kiss On My List, Daryl Hall and John Oates
    8. I Love a Rainy Night, Eddie Rabbitt
    9. 9 to 5, Dolly Parton
    10. Keep On Loving You, REO Speedwagon
    11. Theme from "Greatest American Hero", Joey Scarbury
    12. Morning Train (Nine to Five), Sheena Easton
    13. Being With You, Smokey Robinson
    14. QUEEN OF HEARTS, Juice Newton
    15. Rapture, Blondie
    16. A Woman Needs Love, Ray Parker Jr. and Raydio
    17. The Tide Is High, Blondie
    18. Just the Two of Us, Grover Washington Jr.
    19. Slow Hand, Pointer Sisters
    20. I Love You, Climax Blues Band

2. Christmas-A-Holic

Christmas-A-Holic MMC Goodwill Ambassador MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew

5. Jessie's Girl, Rick Springfield

OMG! Of all years you had to pick! This one is a little embarrassing that I am actually blushing about. I was dating a boy in high school and his friend would sing this song about us. I was "Jessie's Girl". He would always say, "I wish that I had Jessie's Girl"! I did not have ANY feelings toward his friend at all! My boyfriend and I broke up twice. We were apart for awhile and still had no interest in his friend.

Wellll... His friend didn't give up and I eventually I ended up with him, we dated awhile and he is the father of my 2 children and of course grandfather of my 3 grandchildren. I guess he finally got "Jessie's Girl". We have not been together in nearly 20 years but remain very good friends and do stay in touch, of course, we still have a family!

The father of my kids and I still remained friends with my first boyfriend and then he used the theme song, "My Best Friend's Girlfriend (she use to be mine)" by The Cars. We still talk with him now. It was not a serious relationship anyway, we were just kids! cheesy

5 people like this.
  3. gabulldawg

gabulldawg MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I was 6 in 1981 so at the time I don't remember what was hot or not..but In high school senior year in 1993(gosh seems like yesterday!!!) I remember hearing #20 "I love you-climax blues band" on the radio that spring of 93,and It reminds me of the girl I was dating,she was the hottest girl in school,and I never thought about asking her out,but one day after school she asked me out!! we dated that spring went to the prom and all that,turns out she was just using me to make her ex jealous..of course I did not mind being used at all though! funny how a song can make the memories come flooding back!

All the other songs I still hear on a regular basis from the radio station I listen too,funny how the songs that are "oldies" now are from the 80's. Oldies to me use to be the 60's and 70's!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
    4 people like this.
  4. RadioJonD

RadioJonD ♪♫Mistletoe Mix-ologist♫♪ MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum Kringle Radio DJ

Yep! I remember why I quit listening to commercial broadcast radio around that time!

Of that list, "Jessie's Girl" & "Theme to the Greatest American Hero" are the only ones I really liked/like; the second one because that is one of my all time favorite TV shows.

Thank God for the bargain record/cd bin at the record store! That's where the good music was ( and still is) IMHO.

2 people like this.
  5. xmas365

xmas365 Wants to build the second castle on the left MMC Lifer

Like gabulldawg I was only 6, but I remember my parents listening to that music, and my neighbor girl who was I think 4-5 years older loved Jessie's Girl.

4 people like this.
  6. ScottCalvin

ScottCalvin Elf Choir Book Distributor MMC Lifer

A few of em, I will after find out what the biggest UK songs were

3 people like this.
  7. rodmonster

rodmonster Santa's Personal Trainer MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

i rem

Well i LOVED em. I have great memories from school and hanging out at the pool with friends while our Boom Boxes played the tunes.....
    Those were some great ones!

2 people like this.
  8. George Broderick, Jr.

George Broderick, Jr. Guest

Sheena Easton was (and still reamains) HOT with a capital OT..!

6 people like this.
  9. ScottCalvin

These were all the #1 songs of 1981 in the UK, this that had charted in the US are in the furthest column to the right.

Code:
    Month	Artist	Title	       Weeks@No.1                 US Postion 
    Jan	JOHN LENNON 	IMAGINE	4	                    Na
    Feb	JOHN LENNON 	WOMEN	            2	                    2
    Feb	JOE DOLCE 	SHADDUP YOU FACE	3	         53
    Mar	ROXY MUSIC 	JEALOUS GUY 	2	                    Na
    Mar	SHAKIN STEVENS 	THIS OLE HOUSE	4        Na
    Apr	BUCKS FIZZ 	MAKING YOUR MIND UP	3	Na
    May	ADAM AND THE ANTS	STAND AND DELIVER	5	Na
    Jun	SMOKEY ROBINSON 	BEING WITH YOU	2	2
    Jun	MICHAEL JACKSON 	ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE	2	55
    Jul	THE SPECIALS 	GHOST TOWN 	3	Na
    Aug	SHAKIN STEVENS 	GREEN DOOR 	4	Na
    Aug	ANEKA	JAPANESE BOY 	1	Na
    Sep	SOFT CELL 	TAINTED LOVE 	2	8
    Sep	ADAM AND YHE ANTS	PRINCE CHARMING 	4	Na
    Oct	DAVE STEWART & BARBARA GASKIN	ITS MY PARTY	4	72
    Nov	POLICE	EVERY LITTLE THING SHE DOES IS MAGIC	1	3
    Nov	QUEEN & DAVID BOWIE	UNDER PRESSURE 	2	29
    Dec	JULIO IGLESIAS 	BEGIN THE BEGUINE	1	Na
    Dec	HUMAN LEAGUE 	DON`T YOU WANT ME	5	1

4 people like this.
  10. Christmas-A-Holic

Christmas-A-Holic MMC Goodwill Ambassador MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew

I was just thinking about John Lennon's passing at the time. It's good to see his song Imagine taking the top spot! I loved his last album he put out. Sad that he's gone. :-?

2 people like this.
  11. ballcoach

ballcoach Guest

Well, I was just four, but my parents listened to alot of those...I can sit here and sing (at least parts) to 16 of those.....

3 people like this.
  12. RadioJonD

RadioJonD ♪♫Mistletoe Mix-ologist♫♪ MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum Kringle Radio DJ

Four!?! I was Twenty-One, lol!
    I faired a bit better with that list:

JOHN LENNON - IMAGINE
    JOE DOLCE - SHADDUP YOU FACE (okay, forgive me please!)
    DAVE STEWART & BARBARA GASKIN - ITS MY PATY (just about anything released on Stiff Records was a winner!)
    POLICE - EVERY LITTLE THING SHE DOES IS MAGIC
    QUEEN & DAVID BOWIE - UNDER PRESSURE

3 people like this.
  13. RadioJonD

Speaking of "Bette Davis Eyes", I thought the parody version was funny.

4 people like this.
  14. Christmasstar

Christmasstar one Crazy Canadian ! MMC Lifer

I got married in December of that year, so much of it was spent in getting ready,,,,but I did manage to remember over half of that list. Many brought a smile and fond memories to mind.

2 people like this.
  15. Snow-in-Texas

Snow-in-Texas Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer MMC Emeritus Member

I have to agree with you on that one George, I had it bad for Sheena Easton.

Not really much on that list I listened to. I was big into Pink Floyd's The Wall. I have always been more into hard rock or heavy metal than the top 40 pop stuff.

3 people like this.
  16. trackrebel

trackrebel candy cane hustla MMC Lifer

a good bunch of songs that came out in my year of birth huh?

2 people like this.
  17. Bradmac

Bradmac It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year! MMC Lifer

Good times, good times! cheesy

1 person likes this.
  18. Christmas-A-Holic

Every guy I knew had it bad for Sheena. cheesy

1 person likes this.
  19. ScottCalvin

1981 in the UK was the age of the New Romantics Adam and the Ants and stuff

1 person likes this.
  20. stevieray

stevieray Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

Journey's Escape was a huge album...Don't Stop Believing, Open Arms, Still They Ride, Stone in Love, Who's Crying Now, Escape, Mother father...

3 people like this.