Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Top 20 Songs of 1981 - Do you remember them?

Discussion in 'Retro' started by rodmonster, Feb 1, 2011.

1. swmrsc

swmrsc Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member

Lady, I Love a Rainy Night and 9 to 5, still faves of mine, still played on local country radio.

1 person likes this.
  2. HomemakinGirl

HomemakinGirl North Pole Domestic Goddess MMC Lifer

I am definitely an 80's girl. I remember all of those songs!

3. whitney37354

whitney37354 Rudolph's Groomer MMC Lifer

I remember them all! I was only 8 years old, but we had the radio on all the time in the car & on our camping trips.

1 person likes this.
  4. lauriebear

lauriebear Christmas Royalty Merry Forums Member

I was 10 and just starting to get into music, but I love almost all of those songs!!! Brings back those summer nights by the lake and the ocean... Ahhhh, yes.... I did a little search for the top grossing movies and boy were there some good ones here they are...

[FONT=&quot]1 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Raiders of the Lost Ark
    2 On Golden Pond
    3 Superman II
    4 Arthur
    5 Stripes
    6 The Cannonball Run
    7 Chariots of Fire
    8 For Your Eyes Only
    9 The Four Seasons
    10 Time Bandits
    11 Clash of the Titans
    12 Absence of Malice
    13 Reds
    14 The Fox and the Hound
    15 Tarzan, the Ape Man
    16 Taps
    17 Sharky's Machine
    18 Excalibur
    19 History of the World, Part I
    20 Bustin' Loose[/FONT]

5. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Santa's Elf Kringle Radio DJ

The funny thing about that list isn't that I remember and still have some of those but that my little sister, who is just about to turn 40, had a **thing** for Rick Springfield that she's never been able to lose.

This week via Facebook she sent me a picture of her and her 8-year old daughter at some event in SoCal this week with...Rick Springfield. She's seen him in concert twice already this year (got the $500 autographed guitar last time) and is going on a cruise in November with...the Rickster.

That dude is more than 60 now and to me his best song wasn't Jessie's Girl it was "They Call Me Bruce". Hilarious.

The one thing from that time frame I regret listening to was Air Supply.

6. Bradmac

Bradmac It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year! MMC Lifer

I had to take a date to an Air Supply concert one time. Ugh. I was afraid someone would recognize me there...and they did. Of course, they were just as embarrassed as I was. :-?

3 people like this.
  7. Jeff Westover

Worst concert from that time ever: Christopher Cross. And yeah, I did the Air Supply concert with a former flame, that wench. Not like I'm bitter or anything.

3 people like this.
  8. JanaBanana

JanaBanana *The Christmas Queen* -- Hostess, Merry Forums Member

Oh my goodness "Jessie's girl" brings back some memories. LOVED it. I also loved Pat Benetar... She was fantastic!! LOVE the 80's music....My sister was "in love" with Duran Duran. =/

1 person likes this.
  9. Bradmac

Bradmac It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year! MMC Lifer

Dude, I LOVE Sailing! Ride Like to Wind is pretty good, too. I don't any other songs of his, though.

I see your point. I guess it would be hard to carry an entire concert on the backs of two good songs, huh?

10. Jeff Westover

It wasn't the music. It was the fact that he just sat there, on a stool, the whole time and didn't do a thing to interact with the audience. I mean, we didn't even see an orchestra or a band -- just him, on a stage, with a stool and a microphone. It was really odd -- and a little creepy.

2 people like this.
  11. stevieray

stevieray Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

Christopher Cross had quite a number of songs from 79' to mid 80's. Title album was very good winning a number of Grammy's. But concert wise, seemed very boring...lol!

Foreigner 4 was another huge album. Urgent, Jukebox hero, Waiting For a Girl Like You, Break It Up, I'm Gonna Win

12. lauriebear

lauriebear Christmas Royalty Merry Forums Member

OMG I loved them!!!

2 people like this.
  13. RavenHardt

RavenHardt Sugar Cookie Tester MMC Lifer

Gee thanks now sailing is stuck in my head LOL

Posted from my BlackBerry

2 people like this.
  14. snowflake22

snowflake22 *Harlowe's Mom* MMC Lifer Louann Jeffries Award

We have the first season of Greatest American Hero on DVD, and it's the version where you can push a button & hear the theme song :) That's back when William Katt's character was still known as Mr. Hinkley...then when John Hinckley attempted to assassinate President Reagan, they started calling him Mr. H. There's some trivia. Am I showing my age?

RadioJonD likes this.
  15. snowflake22

snowflake22 *Harlowe's Mom* MMC Lifer Louann Jeffries Award

On Golden Pond is one of my favorites!

16. GingerMel

GingerMel Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer

I was 8 in 1981 but I remember all of those songs (both US and UK) and those movies. We were really into music at my house and I definitely know we listened to all of that. I saw several of those movies at the theater!

17. ChristmasFanatic2

ChristmasFanatic2 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member Christmas Talk Alum

I was partial to; Bette Davis Eyes, because my paternal Grandma's name was, Betty Davis....I loved the song and my Grandma did, too!

snowflake22 likes this.
  18. Classic Christmas

Classic Christmas Eggnog Chugger Merry Forums Member

Seeing that list of songs reminds me of watching the Solid Gold dancers count the songs down weekly.