Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Ultimate Retro: The Wizard of Oz

Discussion in 'Retro' started by CharlestonNole, Feb 27, 2009.

1. stevieray

stevieray Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

2. MaureenMulligan

MaureenMulligan MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

It still scares me!!

3. MaureenMulligan

MaureenMulligan MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

It is a classic and I love all the actors and actresses in it-such perfect casting. It still scares me though in the flying monkey part. Judy Garland's voice is magic to me and my favorite would have to be Meet me in St. Louis. Or Easter Parade. Thanks for the memory!!

4. stevieray

stevieray Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

It's fine having a movie touch you in a good way or bad way especially if you were young when you saw it first. I'll never get over seeing The Exorcist when I was young!! Yikes!!

5. sugarplum fairy

sugarplum fairy MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I like this movie. I still like to watch it.

6. Christmasstar

Christmasstar one Crazy Canadian ! MMC Lifer

always loved this movie

my favorite part was when she landed in munchkin land and opened the door and suddenly it all came alive in bright colors.
    I have watched it often with my kids.

7. Petronius

Petronius Ornament Craftsman Merry Forums Member

I read that before the movie was shown at the theatre, some people wanted to delete the Somewhere Over the Rainbow scene.

8. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

According to books I’ve read, that’s true. They felt it slowed the film down, and one exec said, “Why is she singing in a barnyard??”

The sequence was directed by King Vidor, who worked on the film for a few days during a transition to a new director.

Every time I see that, a thrill runs up my spine, her voice is so beautiful.

9. Petronius

Petronius Ornament Craftsman Merry Forums Member

When Dorothy sings Somewhere Over the Rainbow, she has the hope that there is grandeur beyond Kansas.