Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

VHS,DVD,Bluray,Online

Discussion in 'Retro' started by Christmasplease, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

i have Christmas movies on VHS, DVD and Bluray. Given how quickly technology changes, I’m wondering if continuing to buy movies this way makes sense. I’d love anyone’s opinion.

2. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

I'm in the same boat.
    If a movie is a particular favorite, I'll often "upgrade." But we only have Blu-ray on certain choice titles. Otherwise DVD is perfectly fine for us (especially since we can project them onto a movie screen; the projector doesn't handle Blu-ray).

Definitely worth moving up from VHS to DVD, though. What sold us was the credits on "A Christmas Story." On VHS they were blurry and almost impossible to read, but on DVD they were sharp and legible. Also, for some movies, the extras included on DVDs make it worth your while to buy---trailers, commentaries, making-of, etc.

However, when moving from VHS to DVD, do your homework before you throw out the VHS tape. Rarely, some movies are edited differently in DVD; I understand that the VHS version of "A Muppet Christmas Carol" has a song not included in the DVD. (I think I have that right.)

3. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense!