Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Vintage Film

Discussion in 'Christmas Together' started by Ryan, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan Christmas Podmaster MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Crew

For those of you interested, TCM is running Groucho films all day this coming Friday, August 14th. All his classic Marx Brothers films are represented, as well some other efforts. My DVR will be busy!

XmasDreams and MerryCarey like this.
  2. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

Thanks for the heads-up!
    Don't pass up "Copacabana," if they show it. It has gotten a bad rap, but it's really a funny film. Groucho is a two-bit agent who signs Carmen Miranda at the Copa---as two different singers! And Gloria Jean is in it and sings a lovely song.

XmasDreams and Ryan like this.
  3. Ryan

Darn...they're not showing it!

They are running "Double Dynamite" with him and Frank Sinatra. It gets a bad rap, too, but years ago I saw it and liked it.

XmasDreams and MerryCarey like this.
  4. ChristmasFanatic2

ChristmasFanatic2 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member Christmas Talk Alum

I'm a huge classic sci-fi/horror film fan. I love the horror films from Hammer, Amicus and Universal. In addition to those films, some of my favorite stars are; Lionel Barrymore, George Sanders, Jimmy Stewart, Charles Laughton, Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Maureen O'Hara, Katharine Hepburn, Irene Dunne, Cary Grant, Henry Fonda, Edmund Gwenn, Claude Rains, Boris Karloff and Gene Lockhart.

Ryan, MerryCarey and snowflake22 like this.
  5. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

Good taste!
    (Except for George Sanders. He's just TOO smug. Mr. loves him as The Saint.)
    Gene Lockhart is a scream in "Miracle on 34th Street." Some of his comedic shadings in the courtroom scenes are priceless.

Ryan likes this.
  6. dvdelf

dvdelf MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Think there's a new Hammer DVD set being released soon

Ryan likes this.
  7. ChristmasFanatic2

ChristmasFanatic2 MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member Christmas Talk Alum

Thanks, MerryCarey....I love Sanders voice, I swear I could listen to him read a phone book and I'd be entertained! LOL Thanks for the heads-up, dvdelf! :D

Ryan and MerryCarey like this.
  8. Ryan

Sweet! Any info on it? Thanks for the tip!

9. MerryCarey

Please visit this thread for info about a Christmas film show scheduled in Newton, MA. Headlining the show is a 16mm archival-quality print---struck in 1936 from the original negative---of "Scrooge" (1935, starring Sir Seymour Hicks). Forget the murky video versions you've seen ... this film print is a beauty!
    scrooge hicks.jpg

Ryan likes this.
  10. Ryan

I'll check this out. Thanks so much for the tip!

MerryCarey likes this.
  11. MerryCarey

In another week or so we'll have a web page with directions and more information. I'll post a link in the event thread. Gosh, I wish you lived close enough to attend.

Ryan likes this.
  12. Ryan

It would be wonderful! I hope you all have fun.

MerryCarey likes this.
  13. MerryCarey

We just got the newly released Blu-Ray set of Marx Brothers Paramount films. Here's the best reason to get it: "Animal Crackers" has restored all the pre-Code cuts that was always missing in all precious videos! It only amounts to a few lines here and there, but it's great to finally see it uncut. And the picture quality is stunning. A couple reels are a hair out of sync, but it's still a treat.

Ryan likes this.
  14. Ryan

I didn't know this was a thing! I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

MerryCarey likes this.
  15. MerryCarey

The other films in the set don't appear to have new or better materials, but at least they get the Blu-ray treatment. I wish someone would find and release a better version of the splicy sequence in Connie Bailey's apartment in "Horse Feathers."

Ryan likes this.
  16. MerryCarey

The two-color Technicolor musical "King of Jazz" (1930), featuring Paul Whiteman and a very young Bing Crosby, has been restored, incorporating film from various sources. The restoration reportedly cost between $300K and $500K (that's half a million, folks!). Some revival theaters have already booked it and screened it, and collectors are eagerly awaiting a DVD and/or Blu-ray release. A book detailing the story of the restoration is due to be released in November.

We've seen an old, incomplete VHS release of "King of Jazz," and it's historically and cinematically interesting as well as entertaining. It doesn't really have a plot; like a lot of early film musicals, it's a revue---a loose conglomeration of musical numbers and comedy sketches and blackouts. The most famous sequence, of course, features Bing Crosby, as one of Paul Whiteman's Rhythm Boys. Worth seeing if it comes to a theater near you, and keep an eye out for a video release.

Ryan likes this.
  17. MerryCarey

More information is now available about the Dec. 12 screening of "Scrooge" (1935, Seymour Hicks) in Newton, MA. Please visit the webpage. The show will also include films featuring W.C. Fields and Laurel & Hardy. If you're interested, please PM me for a flyer that tells more about the other films in the show.

If you plan to attend, please let me know. I'll be there to meet you!

Ryan likes this.
  18. Ryan

Thank you for sharing. Sure wish I could make it.

19. MerryCarey

I wish you could, too.
    The ones who want most to see it live out of state ... :(

Ryan likes this.
  20. MerryCarey

Almost forgot to post this: The UCLA Festival of Preservation is currently running at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. We're most excited about the restorations of two Laurel & Hardy films: the short "Berth Marks" and the feature "Sons of the Desert." Looking forward to seeing the restorations of those two!

Ryan likes this.