Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Vintage Film

Discussion in 'Christmas Together' started by Ryan, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan Christmas Podmaster MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Crew

MerryCarey...or anyone else who is a fan of L&H...TCM is showing Zenobia today. Looks to be Oliver Hardy's only lead role apart from Stan Laurel. I have my DVR set. Anyone seen this film?

2. Ryan

Recently I found out that one of my favorite classic film stars, Rhonda Fleming, is still alive. I wrote her, not thinking I'd hear anything back. I was shocked at how quickly I did hear back and we struck up a very nice correspondence. We had some great conversations. She's 89 (I think) but still sharp! When she saw my address as being in Moore, she went out of her way to ask about my family and check on us after the tornadoes. She also sent me a very nice autographed picture with a personal message on it.
    She talks alot about faith, as we share common beliefs. She also talked about Ronald Reagan and how classy of a guy he was. She stated she was also a fan of working with Bing Crosby.
    My favorite movie of hers (and one of my all time favorites) is Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, and she shared some tidbits about the filming of that picture.
    That was the first time I ever tried to contact a celebrity. I usually don't, but since I've been a big fan for a long time, and I knew she was getting older, I went ahead and did it. I'm glad I did!

3 people like this.
  3. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

It's been a long time ago, but I've seen it. It's not a bad little film. It's an 1800s period piece. Harry Langdon sues small-town doctor Hardy for alienation of affection---of his performing elephant!

Why isn't Laurel in the film? The canny producer Hal Roach maintained separate contracts (with different expiration dates) with Laurel and Hardy after they became a team. He figured that way, they couldn't leave the studio as a team. Laurel's contract had run out, and he waited out the period between his expiration and Hardy's. In the meantime, Roach made use of Hardy by putting him in "Zenobia" (with Harry Langdon, who non-observant viewers could mistake for Stan Laurel). After this, I believe Laurel & Hardy were able to negotiate a joint contract with Roach.

You can see other Oliver Hardy (supporting) solo performances in the John Wayne film "The Fighting Kentuckian," and in the Bing Crosby/Frank Capra film "Riding High." He was a fine character actor.

3 people like this.
  4. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

It never hurts to try! Some ignore their mail, but many cherish every letter, and a wonderful few take the time to answer personally.

A tip for those who are hoping for a personal answer: Be kind and include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Not all former stars are wealthy or have staff, so the cost of postage can become considerable for those who answer their fan mail personally. If you send a photo for an autograph, include packaging and postage for its return trip to you. The star will appreciate your consideration.

2 people like this.
  5. Ryan

Are there any others from the classic period still with us? I know it is hard to define "classic period," and I know some of the big names are (Kirk Douglas, for example). But I wonder if any of those now largely forgotten artists are still with us.

6. MerryCarey

Very few ... Deanna Durbin passed away a few weeks ago. Shirley Temple is still living, but I've heard that she takes a very dim view of her childhood career. I think Diana Serra Cary (Baby Peggy) is still living. Jerry Tucker from Our Gang is still with us, as well as some of the lesser-known members, I believe. Jane Withers is still living. I'm realizing that these were all children during the "golden era" of Hollywood films. There are very few left with living memories of those days. That's why we cherish our time with Gloria so highly---she has in-person memories of W.C. Fields, Donald O'Connor, Bing Crosby, Groucho Marx, Mel Torme, Boris Karloff, Basil Rathbone, Nigel Bruce, Carmen Miranda, Alan Jones, Edward G. Robinson, Lon Chaney (Jr.), and so many others.

2 people like this.
  7. Ryan

Now you've sold me...I'm going to have to read the book on Gloria! In fact, I just ordered it off of Amazon.

1 person likes this.
  8. Yuletide Junkie

Yuletide Junkie Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member

Roger Ebert's memoir is a good read in and of itself, but the sections on John Wayne & Robert Mitchum are of particular interest to classic movie buffs.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ryan

I need to read that some time. I love John Wayne!

10. MerryCarey

For anyone who is going to be, or can be, in the New York City area on September 29 or 30, the Film Forum is having a great show of formerly lost films:

--A two-reel short in two-strip Technicolor featuring the Three Stooges, "Hello Pop!" (1933)
    --"Gobs of Fun" (1933), a Vitaphone short with a previously unknown appearance by Shemp Howard
    --A long-unseen Robert Benchley short, "Your Technocracy and Mine" (1933)---Universal struck a new 35mm print for this show!
    --"Sharps and Flats," a nutty-funny Vitaphone short with Jimmy Conlin and Myrtle Glass---I've seen this one on video, and it's crazy!
    --Rare fragments of early Technicolor, courtesy of the George Eastman House

A friend of ours tipped us off to this show, and it sounds great. There's a chance we might be able to go, but I'm not sure yet.

3 people like this.
  11. dvdelf

dvdelf MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Should be some new TCM DVDs coming soon

1 person likes this.
  12. Ryan

Any word on which ones? I know a Randolph Scott collection is coming from TCM, featuring a film I've been wanting for years. I think it's due out in December.

1 person likes this.
  13. Ryan

Thanks for the heads up. I wish I could be there and I hope you and Mr. get to go!

1 person likes this.
  14. MerryCarey

Ooh! Please keep us posted!

Kino is releasing a newly remastered DVD and Blu-ray of "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" in October. The preview/sample looks very good, better than other transfers I've seen! Considering the budget and the actors they had to work with, it's really not such a bad movie.

We're looking into the cost of getting there and back from Boston ... it's awfully expensive by either train or plane, so we may pass on it. Sounds like a really, really good show, though!

1 person likes this.
  15. dvdelf

October 15, there's a listing for a Ronald Reagan set, Gary Cooper, & Barbara Stanwyck. Also on the first is a Val Lewton set. Odd that set is coming out by itself.

1 person likes this.
  16. dvdelf

TCM is running a documentary called the Story of film: an odyssey
    Looks interesting

1 person likes this.
  17. MerryCarey

That does sound interesting ... if it is less pretentious than its title!

2 people like this.
  18. MerryCarey

Couldn't resist mentioning: Today is Buster Keaton's birthday.

I owe him a lot. The pluck and persistence of Johnny Grey in "The General" helped me to get through chemotherapy many years ago. "Choo-choo" became shorthand among my friends for "Hang in there."

1 person likes this.
  19. Clark

Clark Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

I love the photo on your page! Would love to be there some snowy day!

1 person likes this.
  20. Ryan

I am ashamed to say I have not seen the General. I need to!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

1 person likes this.