Wanted to see others opinions

christmas87

Santa Clausologist
MMC Lifer
Oct 10, 2007
new york
I wanted to get other people's opinion on the matter when it comes to spending a certain amount at a store and getting a free turkey, ham etc. I do this every year at shoprite when you spend 400 dollars by thanksgiving they give you a free turkey. Do you think it's worth spending 400 dollars for a free turkey or as my wife would say buying a 400 dollar turkey lol.

Reactions: Holiday and Minta

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
Do have Acme near you? If so you may want to check them out .. the last few years they have had a coupon in their circular for a free turkey if you spent $100 or more in one shopping trip and it looks like they will doing that again. Last year I was able to get 2 free turkeys that way and plan on doing that again this year.

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
I spend WAY over $400 in our grocery store in a year - probably spend more that in a month sometimes! And they don't offer a free turkey, so sounds like a freebie to me! :)

Contented

Mistletoeologist
MMC Lifer
Christmas Talk Alum
Aug 3, 2015
N.C.
First and always I would look around to see which grocery store has the best sale on turkeys and ham.Even look at grocery stores in nearby towns.Just recently I drove 20 min. to a near by town and bought 4 hams at 99 cents a pound.The largest one cost me a mere $9.00.I brought them home and put them in the freezer until a time I need one.It always pays for me when I check around.

christmas87

Santa Clausologist
MMC Lifer
Oct 10, 2007
new york
No but I wish I did. That is a good deal. I think the closest one I think is in Pennsylvania I remember always seeing one when I went to the pocanos when I was little.

Do have Acme near you? If so you may want to check them out .. the last few years they have had a coupon in their circular for a free turkey if you spent $100 or more in one shopping trip and it looks like they will doing that again. Last year I was able to get 2 free turkeys that way and plan on doing that again this year.

Reactions: Minta and Holiday

christmas87

Santa Clausologist
MMC Lifer
Oct 10, 2007
new york
That is a smart and good idea. 20 min isn't that far if it's a sale like that. That's about how far I would have to drive from where I live to someplace like sams club. I might see about doing that tho.

First and always I would look around to see which grocery store has the best sale on turkeys and ham.Even look at grocery stores in nearby towns.Just recently I drove 20 min. to a near by town and bought 4 hams at 99 cents a pound.The largest one cost me a mere $9.00.I brought them home and put them in the freezer until a time I need one.It always pays for me when I check around.

Reactions: Minta and Holiday

tyreejames

Reindeer Pooper Scooper
MMC Member
Sep 28, 2013
I used to always qualify back when the limit was $250. I haven’t qualified once shE they raised it to $400; I shop at multiple stores over the course of the month to get the most bang for my buck. We definitely spend more than $400 per month on groceries but we aren’t spending it all at Shop-Rite.

We aren’t a turkey family either so we would usually opt for the giant frozen lasagna.

christmas87

Santa Clausologist
MMC Lifer
Oct 10, 2007
new york
I agree with you. I mean I try not to spend it all at shoprite since sometimes other stores have better sales then them but my wife says just to do it at one store for the turkey. But to tell you the truth id rather get the frozen stoffers lasagna. And yea now that I think of it it use to be 250 until they raised it to 400.

I used to always qualify back when the limit was $250. I haven’t qualified once shE they raised it to $400; I shop at multiple stores over the course of the month to get the most bang for my buck. We definitely spend more than $400 per month on groceries but we aren’t spending it all at Shop-Rite.

We aren’t a turkey family either so we would usually opt for the giant frozen lasagna.

Reactions: Holiday

novelist

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Nov 7, 2007
connecticut
Since the promotion at ShopRite is usually only for a month or so, I never spend 400.00 to get a free anything. LOL! With that said, if you are going to shop there anyway then yes, it is worth it. I do most of our shopping at Aldi, but l run into ShopRite for sale items, or for whatever I can't find at Aldi

Reactions: Holiday

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
I ended up buying 1 for $.79/pound & another for $.88/pound. I decided on a second one at a later date! Figured I might as well pick them up while they're cheaper!

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image