Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

What Happened With Easter?

Discussion in 'Holidays Year Round' started by Billy Battles, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Billy Battles

Billy Battles Santa's Doppelganger MMC Lifer MMC Donor

I remember when I was a child Easter was huge. Everyone celebrated it. Got dressed up, had a nice dinner, visited relatives, ect... Then at some point people weren't celebrating like that anymore. It seems like it gets less attention than just about all Holidays. Why is that? What was the Cultural shift?

2. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

It is still highly celebrated here. People might not go out & buy new Easter outfits anymore, but most families get together, have a big meal, an Easter egg hunt for the kids. The Legions & Moose Lodges around here have the Easter Bunny come & they have huge Easter egg hunts. (1000 + eggs & candy) It will be here before we know it!

tbutler likes this.
  3. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

There could be regional differences. If you're living now in a place different from where you grew up, local traditions may vary.

There's also the current hypersensitivity about religious diversity: there is more emphasis on eggs, candy*, and the Easter Bunny than on families gathering and going to church. Dressing up isn't quite as important these days, either. It used to be: "On Easter let your clothes be new / Or else be sure you will it rue." Nowadays a new spring wardrobe isn't rigidly enforced.

*In New England, in the same aisle with the chocolate bunnies, you can still get chocolate crosses (usually made by Russell Stover).

0937-1000.jpg

Holiday likes this.
  4. angelpugs

angelpugs Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

Dressing up for Easter was the rule at one time especially for church but,these days not many do they dress in casual type clothing,only a handful dress up,as i know growing up my mom dressed us girls up.The blonde haired girls are wearing something like we wore. 0f76a559a4a4477b548da5f63ee8b1e3--easter-outfit-easter-dress.jpg easter-dressesjpg-a1cc09974ec133f6.jpg

Holiday and MerryCarey like this.
  5. Petronius

Petronius Ornament Craftsman Merry Forums Member

Easter Parade 1958

cgmcav and angelpugs like this.
  6. Petronius

Another Easter Parade 1958

cgmcav likes this.
  7. Petronius

Here come the hats!

cgmcav likes this.
  8. angelpugs

angelpugs Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

When i was younger we wore the easter hats and dresses. cbdb92e54e89db54462794e30e3d30c0.jpg

cgmcav likes this.
  9. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

The streets were clear and not much traffic around dinner time yesterday. It felt like Christmas day or New Year's day with all the people staying home or spending time with family/friends. We live on a busy street and I noticed we did not have alot of traffic yesterday on our street either.

10. 'Tis the season

'Tis the season Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer MMC Donor

Easter is still widely observed as a holiday here with most people off work. Days trips, holidays and organized events are popular, not to mention bunnies and eggs, but the media seem to be struggling as how to classify it. Religion is a quietly derided by most of the media so I feel they struggle to know what to do with Easter.

11. WintersElf

WintersElf Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Premiere Member Christmas Talk Alum

In our neck of the woods..People dress up and go to church..the kids have their eater eggs hunts etc...then we all go home for a nice ham feast..

12. Petronius

1890s Easter Sunday in New York City

13. Petronius

Easter Bonnets in 1954

14. Petronius

Spring Fashions 1959

15. Petronius