What is the secret to your stuffing?

Mumof2

One Happy lil Elf
MMC Lifer
Oct 23, 2007
Boston, Ma
www.facebook.com
My Mum's stuffing! Potato based,spiced just right! mmmmm We also love rice dressing (plain for me-Oyster for hubby)

Ms_Speedy_Elf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 13, 2008
My b/f makes our stuffing /dressing .He puts raisin's in it like his mom did.

bigbearfla58

Mistletoe Hanger
MMC Lifer
Jan 14, 2008
Jeff the obvious question back to you since you did not blab is what kind of stuffing to you make that is so great!? :) Now since I'm southern I make a corn bread stuffing every year that my family fights over and expects to be perfect every single year and I never disappoint them. And my big secret is caramelized onions. I use two sticks of salted butter and chop up 5 large onions and crank up that heat for the first 5 minutes of cooking. Then I reduce the temperature add in my celery and cook over med-med high heat until they look like chestnuts. And this makes in my humble opinion the best southern cornbread stuffing you've ever tasted! One last tip the cornbread has to be made with a medium ground WHITE CORN MEAL not that nasty yellow stuff all of you Yankees like! :) he he he!

SparkleNana

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
May 19, 2008
Big bearfla58 -- Caramelized onions are one of the best things in the world! I always make them with olive oil - for health reasons! So - your use of butter sounds like the most delicious, exotic, scrumptious thing -- PERFECT for a holiday meal!

bigbearfla58

Mistletoe Hanger
MMC Lifer
Jan 14, 2008
SparkleNana let me tell you a secret, the other 364 days of the year I too use olive oil to stay healthy and keep my cholesterol down to 180 But come Thanksgiving Day everything healthy gets kicked to the curb and out comes butter, lots of butter! Paula Deen would be so proud! LOL :)

laikengrace

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 14, 2007
Jeff the obvious question back to you since you did not blab is what kind of stuffing to you make that is so great!? :) Now since I'm southern I make a corn bread stuffing every year that my family fights over and expects to be perfect every single year and I never disappoint them. And my big secret is caramelized onions. I use two sticks of salted butter and chop up 5 large onions and crank up that heat for the first 5 minutes of cooking. Then I reduce the temperature add in my celery and cook over med-med high heat until they look like chestnuts. And this makes in my humble opinion the best southern cornbread stuffing you've ever tasted! One last tip the cornbread has to be made with a medium ground WHITE CORN MEAL not that nasty yellow stuff all of you Yankees like! :) he he he!
bigbearfla58.......would you please give me your full recipe with directions? This is my first year to cook Thanksgiving and I don't know where to start.. Thank you so much . Tammy

Seawaters

MMC Christmas Angel 1954-2020
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 8, 2008
California
www.southernchristmasnights.com
Italian Stuffing

My lone big excuse for not going anywhere but my house on Thanksgiving is, well, ... the stuffing.

So, out with it...what is the secret to your stuffing?

Here's my secret stuffing:

Italian Stuffing

1 ½ lbs (about 6 links) Italian sausage (casings removed)
Olive oil—garlic flavored is great!
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 T finely chopped garlic—or more to taste
1 T Italian seasoning—I normally use Spicy Italian by Tone’s
8 cups Nonni’s® Roasted Garlic Panetini (or corn bread stuffing)
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 to l ½ cups chicken broth

Cook the sausage in a little olive oil in a large skillet, breaking into small pieces with a spatula, until browned. Transfer to colander or strainer and drain. Add a little more olive oil to skillet and cook onion, celery, and all three kinds of bell peppers over medium heat until tender, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and Italian seasoning; cook about one minute. Combine this mixture with the browned sausage, panetini, Parmesan cheese, and chicken broth. Add pepper if desired. Place into greased crockpot. Cook on low for 4 to 8 hours. If desired, this can also be cooked in conventional oven at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, depending if you like a crunchy top. This is also delicious done in a clay pot.
Cherylle Waters, PER
Willows Elks Lodge #1786

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
My former neigbor lady (use to be my neighbor when I lived w/ my parents) always makes a sausage stuffing that is to die for. This thread reminds me that I need to email her & ask her for the recipe. I'm wondering if it's similar to Seawaters recipe? Mmmmm, mmmmmmm! :smile:

Santa's Helper

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 14, 2007
Out there
I don't like stuffing so therefore I don't eat it but, I've heard from others around the table that my mom's stuffing is great. I think she uses sausage and pecans, it could be almonds though. I'm not totally sure but, I know there's some kind of nut in it! I like the smell of stuffing but not into eating it. I'm picky that way.

yolie8174

Santa's Sleigh Designer
MMC Lifer
May 26, 2008
California
At my house the stuffing has Mrs. Cubbison's brand bread crumbs soaked in chicken stock. And green onions, red apples, granny smith apples, olives, and celery cooked in butter, and then mixed with the bread crumbs really simple but good. My mom likes to use the giblets, I dont I think there gross.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image