Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

What is the true meaning of Christmas?

Discussion in 'Christmas Controversy & Opinion' started by Kristian Jennings, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Kristian Jennings

Kristian Jennings Christmas Saint Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Hey everyone! I created this thread for anyone to discuss their opinion on what the true of christmas is. Is it about the presents? Is it about the lights? What does the word "Christmas" mean? Are people losing the true meaning of Christmas? When was the first Christmas? Is it about a baby in a manger or a man in a red suit? Holidays are fun, but there are deep meanings behind each and every holiday, including Christmas. Just remember not to argue over the meaning but to discuss about each others opinions.

He_Is_Born likes this.
  2. Bradmac

Bradmac It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year! MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger

For me, the celebration of the birth of Christ is the true meaning of Christmas. Of course, I enjoy Santa Claus and Christmas decorations, too. I don't think they have to be mutually exclusive. At least I hope not!

3. Christmasstar

Christmasstar one Crazy Canadian ! MMC Lifer Christmas Card Exchanger

For me it is the story of Christs birth and the bringing of hope to the world.
    It is also the way it transforms our world into a place of magical wonder full of color, lights and giving.

4. Neotericisis

Neotericisis Elf Choir Book Distributor Merry Forums Member

We are Christian and actively go to church. I teach my children the meaning behind the season, but they also know that Jesus was more than likely not born in the winter at all. For example, the Romans would not have done a census in the dead of winter because its not logical, and the shepherds would not be out in the fields with their sheep (they would have brought the sheep indoors due to the cold and rainy weather) etc. Also, it was easier to convert pagans if the dates of their sacred holidays were kept. We express that Christmas is more of a celebration of Jesus' life, and that Santa represents the joy of giving, which was so near and dear to Jesus' heart. The chummy music, red, green, and gold, and just happier demeanor just add to the Christmas atmosphere we have come to know and love.

5. Petronius

Petronius Reindeer Pooper Scooper Merry Forums Member