Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

What is your favorite Christmas Eve tradition?

Discussion in 'Christmas Talk' started by Lynn68, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Lynn68

Lynn68 Santa Clausologist MMC Lifer

My favorite Christmas Eve tradition is to finish wrapping presents that I couldn't get to earlier, then I make a mug of hot cocoa for myself and my hubby and we settle down on the couch under a blanket and watch one or two Christmas movies in the dark with only the Christmas tree lights on. Then it's bed time, and off to my mother in law's house in the country Christmas morning.

2. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

That sounds lovely!! I’m looking for a good cocoa recipe.

My two oldest are adults now so my youngest and I watch a Christmas movie and eat Chinese food. Not as festive as it used to be but lots of life changes.

3. angelpugs

angelpugs Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

We sit in the dark with all lights on as we sit and watch White Christmas"as we enjoy my grandmother's hot chocolate that i now make which is being warmed on the woodstove.It's just a nice quiet evening as we usually just have snack sandwiches and crackers and cheese and of course snacking on christmas cookies that i've baked.

4. Nash

Nash Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Since moving back here to Staffs to get married and have a second crack at fatherhood at my late age lol , we always now go to Mother in Laws house (which is about a fifteen min walk) on Christmas eve evening for turkey cobs and a glass of something , we then have a look at all the decorated houses on the return walk ......magic

5. Skippy1707

Skippy1707 Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class Merry Forums Member

My favourite Christmas Eve Tradition is very similiar.
    I wake up early and cook the meats ready for Christmas day so its one less job on the big day.
    I spend the day with the kids, winding them up mainly, we go for a nice walk to the local shop and buy carrots for the reindeer and feed the horses some apples on the way home.....
    Then the kids help me sit and wrap any last minute presents that need doing.
    We bake puddings and biscuits ready for Christmas day too.
    About tea time we go over to my Mother In Laws house - she lives a few streets away (about a 5 minute walk) and we go and give gifts to them and see them before Christmas.
    Then in the evening we sit down with a hot chocolate, my daughter gets her Christmas stuff for Santa ready, before going to bed and hanging their stockings (my son is 15 but he still enjoys winding her up as well)
    Then I finish any of their last minute wrapping, before a hot chocolate to myself in the christmas tree lights with the fire on and cuddled with my dogs.
    Then I try to sneak and the presents out and fill the stockings without waking them!

6. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer Christmas Crew

Love getting up Christmas Eve morning and making breakfast and enjoying the morning with my family. Even though our kids are older (12 and 17) they still curl up in of their beds together while I read the Christmas Story (birth of Jesus) and hubby reads Twas the Night before Christmas. After the kids are in bed, and all the gifts are out I love to sit with just the Christmas Lights on and stare at everything.

7. Lynn68

Oh I love this! Reading what you wrote gave me such a warm Christmassy feeling! Just wonderful!

Skippy1707 likes this.
  8. Lynn68

Oh how wonderful!!

9. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

My favorite Christmas Eve tradition is basically what I do all day. It starts out with going shopping and out to breakfast/or lunch with my brother. A tradition we have had for about 25 years (minus last year for the first time as he was too sick to go.) But normally he finishes his shopping and comes back to my place and I wrap everything for him and then he takes it home. I usually do some last minute baking and then my husband and I go over to my brother's house and exchange presents with him and his girlfriend and my nieces and nephews. The kids range in age from 25 to 3 so it is a lot of fun! Then, we drive home and my husband drops me off and heads off to pick up our takeout Chinese. While he is gone I get everything ready for us. I have all the trees lit (nine in total) and the fireplace going and Christmas music playing. We have no children of our own so our tradition is to do everything on Christmas Eve. When he returns we quickly open the present that a "Christmas Elf" has dropped off which is new pajamas so we get changed and then eat Chinese food and watch a Christmas Story. Then, we give the cats (five crazy felines) their stocking and their Christmas treat of a can of cat food apiece, mainly so they will leave us alone! We then sit down and do our presents and stockings that we have bought for each other. We take our time and make it last. Afterwards, every year, I buy a few big "Santa" gifts and while my husband is picking up the Chinese food I tape a poem that I have written "from Santa" on the inside of the front door for him. He reads the poem and it will tell him where "Santa" has hidden extra presents for us. Then we open those as well. My poor husband has to put up with all of that because I don't have any children to do those fun things with but he humors me and he is a good sport about it. Plus, he gets more gifts, so who can complain!! Afterwards, we drink our favorite holiday drink, White Christmas, and just enjoy the tree and the lights and each other. I wouldn't change our Christmas Eve traditions for anything!

One Spoiled Brat and Lynn68 like this.
  10. JoseChung

JoseChung Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

We never had any until last year! My better half is eastern european so what we did was go out Christmas ever morning, have a nice breakfast and then collect all of the ingredients for the 12 traditional meals. We then relax, watch movies and make dinner.

Driving around on Christmas eve is brilliant - the radio doesn't seem to play that many Christmas songs anymore so we put on spotify and drive around watching all of the other drivers frantically try and finish their shopping!

sugarmuffin25 and Lynn68 like this.
  11. novelist

novelist Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer

Christmas Eve day, I'm usually getting ready whatever i can for Christmas dinner. Later that day, my husband and I go to Christmas Eve mass, then once home, have an assortment of appetizers, open one small gift, then relax either listening to Christmas music, or watching a Christmas move on tv.

sugarmuffin25 likes this.
  12. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

(I've answered the same question in a few other threads, so excuse the repeat...)
    Mr.'s and my favorite Christmas Eve tradition is to go downstairs and screen 16mm Christmas films until midnight. This includes a feature film or two plus a special reel of Christmas carols, Christmas shorts, a kinescope of a 1949 TV Christmas musical program featuring Earl Wrightson, and other favorites. We finish around midnight with the Academy Award-winning short subject "Star in the Night."

tbutler and sugarmuffin25 like this.
  13. Jason rhodes

Jason rhodes Reindeer Handler Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

A few years ago I found a book called the pajama elves. It tells a story about elves making pajamas and then delivering them on Christmas Eve. We follow that story every year now. My kids get so excited when their wrapped boxes show up “magically”. We also watch the Rankin Bass special ‘Twas The Night Before Christmas.

Christmasplease likes this.
  14. WintersElf

WintersElf Mistletoeologist MMC Lifer MMC Premiere Member Christmas Talk Alum

This year we will have a house of 9-10 people so its gonna be making cookies and watching christmas specials...opening the stockings..

15. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

Sounds Amazing!

16. KimB

KimB Reindeer Pooper Scooper Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I go to Christmas Eve Mass with a friend. Before that we eat!

Christmasplease likes this.