Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Question What's next for the Merry Forums of MMC?

Discussion in 'My Merry Christmas HQ' started by Jeff Westover, Jan 12, 2020.

How should the Merry Forums change? (check all that apply)

1. Just stick with whatever is new with the current platform

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. We need a different platform altogether

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I use the forums on my mobile device more than a PC

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  4. I use the forums exclusively on my computer

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  5. I want more customization options on my profile

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. There are features I never use that should go away

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. There are features we need that we don't have

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The forums are too slow and take too long to load

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. The interface is too cluttered and needs to be simplified

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. We allow too many links and images in signatures

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Santa's Elf Kringle Radio DJ

All,

I need your help.

It is necessary once again to upgrade the core forum software. I don't want to do it for several reasons but the march of technology and the ever present need for increased security forces the issue.

But before I go down this path I could really use some feedback.

What features do you like about the forums?

What features do you NOT like about the forums?

What would you like to see?

What would you like to go away?

I'm talking about just the platform -- not the stuff we do or the traditions we enjoy. We can talk about that stuff, of course, but it is a different conversation. What I'm asking about here is just the forum workings on a base level.

Yes, we should include mobile use of the forums, as well as using them on tablets and bigger screen PCs.

If you have links to other forums that you want to provide as an example of someone doing it well, please provide them.

I am trying to approach this one with a completely open mind. We have been on our present platform for about a decade and it has, of course, updated capabilities. Part of me says to stick with it because it is familiar and will represent the least amount of functional change as we upgrade.

But the Internet is changing, forums are changing and I think we need to explore the next level stuff that is out there.

Regardless of how big of a change we go through I want you to know what is happening and to share your thoughts.

My goal is to have this project done by the end of April. The change itself will likely not take place until mid-April. I want time to discuss this, study the options, figure out what the costs will be and what will be needed on a technical level to pull it off.

You are vital to this process. You are here everyday and the upgrade changes, whatever they will be, will affect you the most. Please contribute your thoughts to this thread.

Thanks.

2. Bradmac

Bradmac It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year! MMC Lifer

I can't imagine a different functionality, at least not one that I prefer over the current. As you said, making use of larger monitor real estate and mobile devices might be cool, though.

Rich likes this.
  3. Dudley

Dudley Mistletoeologist Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I find this site one of the smoother running sites I've been involved with. Roll with the upgrades and keep up the great work!

DecemberisComing and Rich like this.
  4. Rich

Rich Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member

I agree with @Dudley that the site runs very smooth. I use it on my desktop/laptop the most. But occasionally been on the forums with my tablet and phone with no slow down. The only new feature that I can think of right now would be an "LOL" button next to the like button. Some of these people are down right funny.

Thank you Jeff for all you do.

5. ponytramp

ponytramp Sugar Cookie Tester Merry Forums Member

Thank you Jeff for all of your hard work. It is truly appreciated. :D

DecemberisComing and Dudley like this.
  6. Jeff Westover

Wow, that's a great suggestion. I wonder if it can be done?

DecemberisComing likes this.
  7. CJCochran

CJCochran Merry Forums Newbie Merry Forums Member

I’m a very-part-time user of this website, and only visit it around a dozen or so times a year. I DO like the website, though, mainly because I love Christmas, and enjoy reading what others have to say, along with new articles that are posted. The forums are useful and informative, and I can easily access them. I think the most important thing to update is the security of the site, and to insure that users can easily update their user names and passwords. I use Apple products, so naturally I like sites that easily interface with KeyChain; not all do.

8. KimB

KimB Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

On the forums I've managed and participated, there are more options other than like. There are hearts, Sad, LOL face, etc. Sometimes, I feel awkward acknowledging a post if it's sad with a "like."

I find this forum runs smoothly and I've never had trouble using various devices to access it.

Thank you, Jeff.

9. DecemberisComing

DecemberisComing Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I am happy with so many of the features but especially the ease at which I can navigate the threads (watched and otherwise) and the New Posts and Recent Posts features. The only thing on my Wishlist would be something next to the Like button that allows me to show support for something that isn't necessarily something good/positive, not a thumbs down, but if someone is sharing about a health issue or a loss I sometimes feel bad clicking the thumbs up.

10. sugar142286

sugar142286 North Pole's RN MMC Lifer

Love this idea, KimB!

DecemberisComing and Dudley like this.
  11. Reindeer Herder

Reindeer Herder Reindeer Pooper Scooper Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I'm relatively new here but am active on a number of forums and this is probably the best run and most efficient one I am a part of - Keep Up The Great Work!

12. Jeff Westover

Thank you, that's very kind. We have had a few bumps along the way but I think we have honestly learned from them. We have the greatest all-volunteer Christmas crew on the planet as well as the best community of caring people you will ever find. We take care of each other. That makes all the difference and always have.

ponytramp and Dudley like this.
  13. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

I totally agree!!! Lol