When do you start decorating for Halloween?

Billy Battles

Santa's Doppelganger
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Jul 12, 2007
On Santas good list(Hopefully)
This is the first Year I will be decorating for Halloween. My Fiancee and I have been debating how soon should we decorate. So I was wondering when does everyone here start.

Festive Spirit

Christmas Royalty
MMC Lifer
Sep 11, 2012
England
This is the first Year I will be decorating for Halloween. My Fiancee and I have been debating how soon should we decorate. So I was wondering when does everyone here start.
How exciting! Have you been shopping for decorations yet?

I think once October hits then it's fair game! This year my refurbishments at home are keeping me from decorating yet. Usually I start gradually with subtle things mid September and gradually build as the weeks go by with everything up by end of first week of October or soon after. It's our first year in our new home so I am excited about decorating, it will be a new experience. I really enjoy the halloween season so for me I like to enjoy as much time as I can with it.

novelist

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Nov 7, 2007
connecticut
I decorated for Halloween last weekend. The house looks very festive. After Halloween, I'll take down any Halloween related decorations and put out Thanksgiving ones. Some decorations I have are for Fall, so they will stay up until I take everything down after Thanksgiving to decorate for Christmas.

Reactions: cgmcav

HollyKing

Merry Monarch of Yuletide
MMC Premiere
May 18, 2011
The North Pole - where else?
I decorate on the weekend, so either the first of October or (if the first falls on a weekday) the last Saturday in September.

noodlenoggin

Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
MMC Member
Jan 14, 2015
For me, weather has a lot do with it. Living in here in Southern California, just last weekend it was 90 degrees out. And for as much as I wanted to, I just couldn't get into the Halloween spirit as much as I would have liked to when it's that hot out. At this point it really hasn't cooled down at all from Summer time. Even during Christmas time it's been hard to get into it because it often is warm here in December. So this year, it wasn't until last Friday that I finally dug everything out and started putting it out. I'll finish with the lights later today or tomorrow.

Whereas I know if the weather was much cooler and more Fall-like I can get into it much easier. So much so that even by mid-September I can already be in full Halloween mode. I actually plan to move somewhere with a much cooler environment, and a big reason for that is my love for the Holidays and wanting to revel in it as much as I can.

Ali

Holiday Fangirl
MMC Lifer
Apr 12, 2007
England via Canada
My Halloween decs come out the first of October. I hold off on getting pumpkins until the week before Halloween. The weather is often very mild here during October, so they tend to start rotting quicker. I have small, permanent Halloween display in one corner of the kitchen so I can have a bit of the spirit year round!

prancer

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Talk Alum
Nov 1, 2012
I decorate for Halloween on the 1st Weekend of October..I buy my pumpkins about 2 weeks before Halloween and store them in a cool place so they dont rot before the big day:D

Ornamentmaven

Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
MMC Member
Apr 17, 2018
Shavertown, PA, USA
Autumn decorations go up in September and stay up until Thanksgiving. I add the Halloween Decorations in Early October and remove them on November 1st, when the Thanksgiving decorations go up!

Reactions: Ali

The_Escalation

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 25, 2020
Texas
Is September 1st too early? I start decorating for Christmas on November 1st, so why not start a month early for Halloween?

In reality my wife will probably never let me get away with decorating that early because she wants to put up her Fall decor and then do Halloween on October 1st. Of course the solution is easy: Just put up the Fall decor on August 1st. Problem solved. Of course then the neighborhood will think we've completely lost it.

So I guess my answer is October 1st.

LadyLynn

The Christmas Freak
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 22, 2020
Riverton, Utah
I put Autumn up the first to middle of September, add Halloween between 9-21 and 10-1 and take Halloween down and add Thanksgiving to the autumn then go full blown Christmas the day after Thanksgiving.

Annette

Christmas Princess
MMC Lifer
Oct 2, 2007
Washington
Every year is different for me. All depends on my work schedule and what I have going on. But I try to start around the 1st week of October.

Reactions: Ddeby and cgmcav

Ddeby

Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
MMC Member
Jul 7, 2012
New Hampshire
Usually early September, but one year I admit I started in the middle of August. I'm a believer in "If it makes you happy, then do it!" I did wait for the outside decorations until mid-September though...didn't want the neighbors to think I was completely crazed.
+n

• Haha
Reactions: cgmcav and LadyLynn

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image