Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When it's time to open presents

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by Mr. Hankey, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Mr. Hankey

Mr. Hankey Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class MMC Premiere Member

I figured this might be the appropriate place for this thread.

I was just wondering how others' families on this forum do their gift opening. Does your family take turns opening one gift at a time so everyone can see what everyone got or does your family just basically "rip & tear"?

When I was a kid when we had Christmas at my Grandparents a couple of family members would hand out presents by announcing whom the gift was to and who it was from and the recipient would open the gift right then. The whole gift-opening process would take 30 minutes or so which left more time to play games, watch a Christmas movie on TV, take a nap or go do whatever. This was the way my (extended) family opened gifts for years and to me this was the fun way to open presents and the way I was used to opening presents.

Now that my Grandparents have long since passed on my Christmases are spent with my immediate family including my sisters, their spouses and kids and somehow the policy of "taking turns opening one gift at a time" has become standard in my family. Every year I have expressed my disdain for opening presents in this manner because that's not how we did presents in the past and also because I think taking turns opening presents one-at-a-time is boring and it takes too long. I don't really need to see what each & every gift is (I already know what gifts I got for people). I'm not really interested in a sweater my brother-in-law received just as he (and others) don't really care about a DVD that I got of a concert of my favorite heavy metal band. Also some people run out of gifts (often me early on) before others do so they're obligated to sit through the rest of the whole, tedious gift opening process. And I'll add that the kids certainly don't like having to wait for their turn to open a present as well.

So how does everyone else's families do their gift opening?

Minta and mkhatter like this.
  2. novelist

novelist Mistletoeologist MMC Lifer

Since it's just my husband and I here opening gifts on Christmas morning, we both just open our pile of presents. Later on when my two step sons come over, we give them their presents and they open them together.

3. Classic Christmas

Classic Christmas Chestnut Roaster MMC Member

We've always went from oldest to youngest. Sure, it was tough on the kids to have to wait until all the 'old' people were done, but, hey, when you've waited 364 days for Christmas, what's another hour or so?

It's a tradition we started as young kids, and one my daughter and others her age wanted to keep, so we've kept it.

4. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

The Great Grandkids go 1st, usually 1 at a time, but sometimes 2 - then they go play! Next is any Grandkids (my nieces & nephews) IF they have any to open. I still by for my Goddaughters since we don't have kids, but most don't get anything from their Godparents anymore. THEN we have a white elephant exchange for all the adults (Grandkids included) - girls bring girl gifts, boys bring boy gifts. They all go in the middle of the room & we draw numbers & we can steal from each other - but girls can't steal a boys gift & boys can't steal a girls gift. Always fun & obviously those are open one at a time.

5. noodlenoggin

noodlenoggin Eggnog Chugger MMC Member

We usually go one at a time, but it's not like we adhere to any specific method or anything. It just sort of happens that way. It kind of allows for some personalization between the person giving the gift and the person receiving it. Makes it a nice morning. Again tho, it just happens that way, it's nothing we ever think about ahead of time.

6. SnowflakeMom

SnowflakeMom Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer

I have 2 girls and they each take turns opening theirs...and then my husband and I open ours. We don't really get each other too much just a couple of small items.

mkhatter likes this.
  7. Southern Mom

Southern Mom Christmas Fan MMC Member

In my immediate family (Hubby, 3 kids) we all open one at a time, just to stretch the time since it goes so fast.. we ooh and ahh when each opens their gifts from Santa.. Now at my grandmother's house (at Thanksgiving we all draw names), so each person brings a gift (Since I have a family of 5, yep we take 5 gifts) we have the younger ones hand out gifts to everyone and we all just open as we are given our gifts.. then afterwards my aunts like to sometimes have us go around and show what we got and from whom, but we don't always do that..

Minta, mkhatter and Holiday like this.
  8. angelpugs

angelpugs Sugar Cookie Tester Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

We each just get our gifts and everyone just opens them,we keep it simple,unwrap while we enjoy our coffee. 9365d98e6f3b33f51eee476d5d8bb65d.gif

9. made582

made582 MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa Louann Jeffries Award

My nieces open their gifts from Santa as soon as they get up. Then once everyone gets there, they open the rest of their gifts from everyone, then me and my sister open ours, and then my mom and my aunt.

10. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor MMC Lifer

Everyone opens their stockings at the same time but when it comes to gifts the kids take turns opening their Sana gifts. Once Santa gifts are done then the whole family takes turns opening their gifts one at a time.

mkhatter likes this.
  11. JohnBattle

JohnBattle Merry Forums Newbie MMC Member

Hi there, I used to open my gifts in morning.

12. wstaple

wstaple Christmas Fan MMC Member

On Christmas morning, we go from the youngest to the oldest, and each person opens one present at a time.

13. ballcoach

ballcoach Chestnut Roaster MMC Lifer

At my parents house, it is one at a time. At my inlaws, it is every man (or woman) for themselves in a rip and tear manner that will get your leg broke if you are in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

I've learned to appreciate both. Personally, I liked the one at time method because that is what I grew up around and it is the thing that "takes me back" to memories of Christmas past. At times, I have to remind myself to just enjoy the moment with inlaws because it is significantly different. But different is good...

14. mkhatter

mkhatter Tinsel Straightener MMC Member

We have 5 children aged from 19-6. They each have a sack which is left out to be filled by Santa (all the presents we have brought). They opening these first thing in the morning with their "main" presents (usually the 1 thing they wanted the most) hidden somewhere else by santa. We then open all the other presents from around the tree when the wife's family arrive. We also do a adult secret santa which takes place after the turkey and we also do a Christmas raffle in the evening. I love it my wife & I have combined traditions from both our childhoods plus added a few others as well.

ballcoach likes this.
  15. Nash

Nash Eggnog Chugger MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa Christmas Talk Alum

Well im blessed that I have younger wife and a 3 year old daughter now (im 53) so have been blessed with a second chance to have the type of Christmas that is more magical with younger Children ,,,so Present time Christmas Morning is brilliant , the look on Lilys face as she comes down the stairs with her mom is what makes Christmasses now even more magical for me .....Presents are frantically opened then played with so by time she has openened all hers me and my Wife open ours a good couple of hours after lol ....Its terrible for me because I have always been an early riser (up most days between 3am and 5 Am but Christmas day its more Likely to be 3 lol lol But Wife AND Daughter like their sleep so im left waiting a good 4 or 5 hours before they appear lol lol .....Im hoping that as Lily learns more about Santa and what day it is etc she will be to excited for bed lol

Minta, Martine and mkhatter like this.
  16. whitney37354

whitney37354 Rudolph's Groomer MMC Lifer

Growing up
    1. Maternal Grandparents: Christmas supper, then the grandchildren had to wait until the adults finished their meal before we could open gifts. We would hand out the gifts, then go around the room, each person opening one gift, then moving on to the next person. I enjoyed it because it made it last longer for every person & you got to see what everyone got. There was never a rush. After gift exchange, we took family photos.

2. Paternal Grandparents: Gifts were handed out & you just opened one when you got it. It wasn't crazy.

As a Grown up
    1. My family: We eat dinner first, making the grandchildren wait painfully for the time to open gifts! Then we make family photos to prolong the agony! The adults find a seat. The children & grandchildren hand out gifts & the grandchildren find their spots on the floor. I stand in the middle of the room & say, "Go!" Then it's a free-for-all, screaming time! It's too loud & chaotic for my & DH's liking, but what can we do? After gifts, we all open stockings that we draw names for.

2. DH's family: We have breakfast, then FIL reads the Christmas story from Luke. MIL is in charge of how the gift exchange goes. Grandchildren always go first, some years oldest to youngest, some years youngest to oldest. They sit in the floor in the middle of the room & we put all of their gifts around them. They open all of their gifts & then their stocking. Then they are finished & can go play! The adults go next, the order depending on what MIL wants to do that year. We always end it with FIL & MIL's gifts to each other. It is orderly, but the only thing bad about it it, once you're done, you're done!

3. Our little family of three: DD opens her gifts, then her stocking. Then either DH or I open our gifts from each other & DD. Simple, easy, & done in 15 minutes! It does seem kind of sad while it's going since there are just three of us, but we make up for the craziness at my parent's house!

Minta likes this.