Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Question Who belongs in the Christmas Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Christmas Home' started by Jeff Westover, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Santa's Elf Kringle Radio DJ

Yes.

We should have dueling podcasts -- yours that would support WD for the Christmas Hall of Famy and mine that would scoff at that idea.

2. Tim Babb

Tim Babb Twinkle Light Checker MMC Donor MMC Partner MMC Premiere Member Santa's Elf

Wow! Didn’t expect to be shot down so thoroughly lol

Edit: IS the Christmas Hall of Fame really going to be a future podcast episode? If so, it’s brilliant!

3. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

Would it be getting too "granular" to include some of the great choirs/orchestras that have been part of our Christmas for years and have become classics? The MTC, the Robert Shaw Chorale, Fred Waring and His Pennsylvanians, the Norman Luboff Choir, Percy Faith, Spike Jones, etc.? The ones that have been the "sound of Christmas" for decades. (Maybe that opens it up too wide and removes the barrier between the classics and the Hall of Famers.)

ponytramp and RadioJonD like this.
  4. Jeff Westover

Actually the Christmas Hall of Fame won't only be a podcast episode...it's going to be, well, a Hall of Fame.

Iteachpercussion likes this.
  5. Jeff Westover

I don't think so at all. How can you skip on those? I don't think there are enough Robert Shaws and Norman Luboff Choirs any more. We cannot let the legacy of chorale and orchestra be forgotten in the Hall of Fame conversation.

Iteachpercussion and MerryCarey like this.
  6. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

I'm glad to hear that ... my Christmas music library is stuffed with those folks ... without the sound of those choirs and orchestras, there would be a big hole in my Christmas season.

(In case you're wondering "Spike Jones???" I included him for two reasons: his album, which inspired the Carpenters' "Christmas Portrait," which reportedly caused a resurgence in pop Christmas albums; and "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth," which is not a favorite of mine, but it's still going strong after a number of decades.)

Iteachpercussion and RadioJonD like this.
  7. Jeff Westover

I agree. There are many icons of Christmas, especially in the entertainment category, that may prove distasteful to some. That doesn't make their accomplishments any less significant. I think Spike Jones is a worthy candidate. More so even than Walt Disney. What was it that Walt contributed to Christmas again?

8. Tim Babb

Tim Babb Twinkle Light Checker MMC Donor MMC Partner MMC Premiere Member Santa's Elf

You've got your Babes in Toyland movie, Pluto's Christmas Tree animated short, Silent Night and other Christmas Carols record...and that's just while he was alive, the company he made is responsible for Mickey's Christmas Carol, the Santa ClausE, Nightmare Before Christmas, The Muppet Christmas Carrol, etc.

But for me, the biggest thing is the parks. Disneyland had a big celebration for Christmas every year since they opened. And the annual Christmas parade has become a yearly televised event!

9. Tim Babb

Wait! Like a building I can go visit?!

10. ballcoach

ballcoach Sugar Cookie Tester MMC Lifer

Are characters worthy of consideration?

Like Scrooge, Ralphie, and Cousin Eddie (ok...Eddie is a stretch).

11. Jeff Westover

Something like that. We can do anything we want, right?

12. Jeff Westover

Yes. Haven't quite figured out how to do that, but I think it is appropriate and would make it unique.

13. Jeff Westover

All that is proof positive that uncle Walt never had one original Christmas idea of his own. That doesn't make him Hall of Fame material, at least for Christmas.

14. RadioJonD

RadioJonD ♪♫Mistletoe Mix-ologist♫♪ MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum Kringle Radio DJ

Johnny Marks.

I'm not sure there has ever been anyone to write more Christmas tunes than he.

HollyJolly likes this.
  15. Tim Babb

I mean, if I go to the bank and the grocery store in the same day, I'm wiped out...so the idea of creating an actual hall of fame building sounds exhausting

16. Tim Babb

Will you accept Mr. Jim Henson as a nominee?

DecemberisComing likes this.
  17. Jeff Westover

We can accept anyone as an nominee. I think Jim Henson would be an interesting one to consider.

Tim Babb likes this.
  18. Daniel12days

Daniel12days MMC's Animation Historian MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member

Jim Henson, Arthur Rankin, Jules Bass, Charles Schulz and to pick one person from here, Tim Babb.

Edit: Shoot, I thought of a few others.

Theodore 'Dr Seuss' Geisel, Charles M. 'Chuck' Jones and Bill Melendez.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019