Who has to watch the, Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
Deep in the Heart of Texas!
Who all here cannot go a Thanksgiving without the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (or any other Thanksgiving Day Parade that is aired on that day)?

It has been my tradition since I was a kid. I brought my kids up on it but they don't seem to get into it any more. :-? I never got tired of it even when I was a teenager. I have it on while preparing our Thanksgiving meal and when it's time for Santa to come on I get excited like a little kid! I don't even have any little ones living with me but will holler out, "here he comes"!
:???:I feel it starts the whole Christmas season as soon as Santa shows up! My hubby says he never got into the parade but I am in hopes he will start liking it because of my enthusiasm. cheesy I make sure and call my grand kids to watch it and they seem to enjoy it.

Santa's Helper

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 14, 2007
Out there
I have to watch it but since I"m usually get things together for the dinner I record it and watch it later. My dream is to one day be in the parade as a string holder for one of the balloons! Hopefully the Snoopy balloon and not Barney!cheesy

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Yes, but it must be the Macy's parade. It's a nostalgia thing. Thanksgiving morning was when my parents made the holiday fruitcakes (to give them time to mellow and mature before Christmas). To get the kids out of the way, they sent us next door to the grandparents to watch the Macy's parade on their color TV set. By the time the parade was over and we'd had some lunch, it was safe to go back home. To this day I have to watch that parade to get my Thanksgiving started right! :thanks:

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
Deep in the Heart of Texas!
I have to watch it but since I"m usually get things together for the dinner I record it and watch it later. My dream is to one day be in the parade as a string holder for one of the balloons! Hopefully the Snoopy balloon and not Barney!cheesy

That would be awesome and the Snoopy one would be the best! cheesy

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
I always have the parade on while I'm in the kitchen. And yes I record it because I miss so much while I'm getting dinner ready. I just appreciate the preparation that goes into organizing such a big parade event and all those who are spending their holiday participating in the parade for others to enjoy.

Laney

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
May 20, 2008
St. Louis, Missouri
I definitely still watch it! Same thing that it is usually more of a background thing, but I always make sure I run in for Santa's arrival at the end. I love it! It really kicks off the season.

My nieces and nephew don't seem to be too into it these days. I think that they are so overstimulated with TV, computers, Wii's, etc. that a parade on tv is just too boring to them. That really makes me sad!

made582

MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
It is always on while we are cooking. I always to make sure to watch when santa is coming.

lauriebear777

Limited Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 25, 2009
Long Island (NY)
I watch it every year, and when I was younger, OK a LOT younger I went once, we got there super early to get a good spot!!! WOW, I have never forgotten that and I will never stop watching it, why it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it!!!

rodmonster

Santa's Personal Trainer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Jul 27, 2008
Va
I

I still love it..AND i have some old copies from the 80s of older ones and we always watch those afterward.
=)

Snow-in-Texas

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 28, 2009
Dallas, TX
As you already said sweety, I just don't get into the parades. It was always on when I was a kid, and I would watch some of it. i like some of the floats but I think what it is for me is the phoney commentators on it, they act like they are being spontanious but they are reading everything they say. But it isn't just that, because I just never got into parades in general. I do come out when Santa is coming at the end. :smile:

loksi

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Jul 14, 2008
Oklahoma
We like to be lazy and watch it while still in PJ's or during a lite breakfast -- hate to miss it for traveling reasons, but sometimes we have. Now, both sets of the grandparents are closer so we don't have very far to go with the kids - probably won't miss any of it (unless I fall back to sleep).

MsChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 8, 2008
Maryland, USA
I love it! I dont usually watch every second of it but its on our TV while Im making breakfast or getting other foods together. I dont have Thanksgiving at my house (its at my in laws and my parents!) but Im usually preparing something for each of their houses. I hope my son really gets into it this year..he is 2 1/2 years old..last year he watched a little of it but lost interest pretty quickly!

Sunshine73

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 26, 2005
Illinois
Not watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade would be like trying to have Thanksgiving without the turkey and the pumpkin pie. I haven't actually gotten to watch it all the way through in years but it's always on in the background as I'm busy cooking and getting ready for dinner. I LOVE it.

Santa's Helper

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 14, 2007
Out there
Not watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade would be like trying to have Thanksgiving without the turkey and the pumpkin pie. I haven't actually gotten to watch it all the way through in years but it's always on in the background as I'm busy cooking and getting ready for dinner. I LOVE it.
That's why I started Tivoing it because I am always busy getting things ready for dinner that I'll miss it. I still keep it on in the background but, I record it so that I can watch it the next day while I'm decorating the tree. Also, I can fast forward through the commercials and all of the crummy acts that they put in the parade that I have no interest in.

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Pick me!! I have to watch it & then Miracle on 34th Street on tv after! I'm like a kid again when I see Santa for the "1st" time of the season!! What an AWESOME way o kick off the holidays!!! :grin:

C

cheryl65

I also always have the parade on in the background as i am prepping/cooking dinner. I run in to see santa too, i still find it exciting. :)

snowytree

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 16, 2008
GA
We always watch the parade...I usually am finishing up dinner prep for the day at that time. Only 75 more days until it's on!

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
I flip back and fourth between the Philly Boscov's Thanksgiving day Parade and Macy's.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image