Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

WORST Christmas gift EVER!!!

Discussion in 'Retro' started by rodmonster, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Contented

Contented Sugar Cookie Tester MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

My dh gave me a jogging suit one time.We still don't discuss it!

Ryan likes this.
  2. Contented

My dh gave me a jogging suit one time.We still don't discuss it!

Ryan likes this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan Christmas Podmaster MMC Lifer MMC Donor Christmas Crew

I got one for Christmas one year after begging for one for a month leading up to it. The marketing worked on a young Ryan. :)
    Looking back it was creepy! Mine got pretty beat up and by the end of his run he had an eye missing which only made him creepier.

snowflake22 likes this.
  4. Ryan

This made me laugh! But, I know it must have been scary as a child! :)

snowflake22 likes this.
  5. snowflake22

snowflake22 *Harlowe's Mom* MMC Lifer Louann Jeffries Award

lol! It was!
    I had just seen a Fantasy Island episode with a creepy clown in it (that is amusing, too!), and it reminded me of that :p

Ryan likes this.
  6. Ryan

I don't know why this story is making me laugh so much. :)

snowflake22 likes this.
  7. snowflake22

snowflake22 *Harlowe's Mom* MMC Lifer Louann Jeffries Award

:D:p

Ryan likes this.
  8. Contented

The worse gift I ever received was a jogging suit from Dh.He never brings it up but I still feel mad when I think about it.So we never talk about it.Proably never will either.

Ryan likes this.
  9. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler MMC Emeritus Member

Worst Christmas present I ever received was a
    Crocheted hat and mitten set from a relative. I was close to 22 yrs old at the time and already
    on my 5th year in the Corps. Think I might have worn the hat...maybe...lol

Ryan likes this.
  10. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award Kringle Radio DJ

OUCH. OUCH. OUCH.
    I crocheted hat and mitten sets for my nieces a few years ago, and they loved 'em. I'll never forget their faces as they simultaneously popped them out of the gift bags! This year my MIL asked me to make my nieces and nephews crocheted winter hats in their college colors so she could give them as Christmas gifts, and again they loved them. (No, they weren't just being polite---at that age, you can tell.) I've also made hats and mittens as well as afghans and baby blankets for various relatives---by request. (Nobody else in the family crochets or knits, and they love my work.)

Even if the crochet work in your gift wasn't so hot, please appreciate the hours of effort that went into making them for you. They can't be the worst gift you ever got if your relative made them with love. She WORKED on them; she didn't just buy them from a store, and done. You don't have to wear them, but at least appreciate them.

HollyJolly likes this.
  11. prancer

prancer Rudolph's Groomer MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Worst christmas present i ever got was hair gel....:eek:

Ryan and Festive Spirit like this.
  12. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

The first thing that came to mind for me are these white plastic cat salt and pepper shakers. I was 8. Enough said ...

Ryan and prancer like this.
  13. Ryan

Worst one I ever got was a lady's blouse with pictures of Elvis all over it. ;)
    It would have been tacky for anyone, but since I'm not a lady it was even worse! My great grandmother gave it to me. Bless her heart, she didn't realize it was a woman's top, nor did she realize I may enjoy the king's music but I'm not wearing his face plastered on my clothes!

snowflake22 and Festive Spirit like this.
  14. NcGunny

NcGunny Candycane Wrangler MMC Emeritus Member

Got thinking and.maybe the hat wasnt the worst gift. I had almost forgot about this.
    ...I was on leave and my Aunt never told my Uncle I would be home for Christmas (a surprise) he was a 3rd uncle she had been married too...lol. Well Christmas morning I had drove from Camp Lejeune to their house where all my relatives were. Tensions were high and I didnt know why..my Aunt had been crying. Found out he had handed her divorce papers in a stocking on Christmas morning. Turned out to be the worst day of his life.

Ryan likes this.
  15. Mr. Hankey

Mr. Hankey Sugar Cookie Tester MMC Premiere Member

I remember when I was 10 or so a relative of my Dad's gave me a mini shoeshine kit. Now why would a 10-year-old boy possibly want a gift like that? At that time I didn't even wear shoes that required shining. What was this relative thinking? Well, fact is my Dad's relatives are kinda strange to begin with.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    Ryan likes this.
  16. Captain Slinky

Captain Slinky Christmas Fan Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I know this is an old thread, but i *think* i may have everyone beat...

In 2000 my dear, beloved Aunt who always gave the greatest gifts to all my cousins and I for as long as I could remember spanning all the way back to the 1970's, was SUPER EXCITED to see my face when I opened my gift at the family gathering that year. She raved all through dinner how she had gotten me the PERFECT gift this year and NEEDED to get a picture of when i opened it, so of course the cousins and i grilled her with a trip down memory lane.

Better than the year you got us all Walkman Tape Players?

Better than the year we all got the Deluxe Lego Sets???

BETTER THAN THE YEAR WE ALL GOT VCR'S?!?!?

"Oh just you wait... better than even THAT!" she said!

Finally it was time to open presents, and my Aunt *insisted* that I go first, opening this incredible gift. Who was I to say no?

The package was small, and as I ripped the last of the Kittens-N-Puppies wrapping paper off, the room fell DEAD SILENT as I just starred at what had been revealed in disbelief.

"Way I figure it," said my aunt, breaking the silence with a joyful, smiling voice, "That gift is worth a couple thousand dollars, and they mailed it to me for FREE!"

Still, silence. She turned to the rest of the family and continued.

"I knew Brian would appreciate this gift, I know his job is something with the internet and the Microsofts and he spends so much time on that computer... well, i think a thousand hours should let him do whatever he wants on there!"

My cousins all tried to hold back their giggles and taunts as I held up for all to see, my brand-new "Try AOL For Free And Get 1000 Hours For FREE" Installation CD.

"Oh, this is WONDERFUL! And so THOUGHTFUL, too! Wow, a THOUSAND free hours! I'll bet my boss is going to love THAT!" I couldn't break her heart by telling her that I had unlimited DSL internet service running on a dedicated line in my apartment as part of my work.

And so I smiled and spent the rest of the evening trying to look interested in the terms and conditions printed on the back of the AOL CD, while my cousins opened their gifts from my Aunt - Panasonic DVD players for everyone but me.

MerryLittleTracy and Ryan like this.
  17. BooksBabiesChristmas

BooksBabiesChristmas Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

My worst present was when I was eleven years old. My stepdad's son was spending Christmas with us and I already had that awkward "you're my relative but not and also you're really hot" thing going strong, of course. It was also my first year as a grown-up (meaning I knew about santa and got to help stuff stockings and wrap Santa gifts) so i was feeling super proud and adult. Come Christmas morning, we're opening stockings (half brother in law sitting right by me of course) and what does little adult me pull out of her handmade Santa stocking? Six pairs of ultra teenybopper boyshort underwear, which my loving grandmother had stuffed the night before. I was mortified. It wasn't the underwear's fault (i've never been sad to see cute underwear or socks under the tree) but 12 years later and I still die of embarrassment thinking about it!

Ryan likes this.
  18. brandocash

brandocash Merry Christmas in Maryland MMC Lifer

I had an Aunt that was terrible at gift giving. She really just did not care. Every year no matter the age I got a 100 piece puzzle, a black knit cap with no tags, and a t shirt with the American flag on it.

The worst gifts she ever got me was the following. A random box of baseball cards. Not in packets or of a team I watched. Just random baseball cards in a shoebox. A scrap booking carrying case, even though I didn't scrapbook. A leather wallet, which was great since I just turned 16 and was driving and had a license to put in it, but when I opened it she said "That's a big boy wallet." Still confused by that one because her daughter was the same age as me. But the worst of the worst, she got me a sampler pack of colognes that were in tiny cigar shaped bottles.... that had been emptied and/or used.

Ryan likes this.
  19. novelist

novelist Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer

Years back, my sister gave us for Christmas., two soup mugs, and a bag of dry pea soup mix. My husband and I HATE pea soup, so I gave that to my dad. At least we've gotten use out of the soup mugs.

Ryan likes this.
  20. MichelleluvsChristmas

MichelleluvsChristmas Christmas Aficionado MMC Lifer

A book called "Reasons Why Your Cat Wants to Kill you" :|

Ryan likes this.