Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

WORST Christmas gift EVER!!!

Discussion in 'Retro' started by rodmonster, Apr 15, 2013.

1. WintersElf

WintersElf Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Premiere Member Christmas Talk Alum

lets see ill start with a few years ago we had a gift exchange at church..and the lovely people gave me a 3 pc set of very skinny tall wine glasses...WHAT...i dont drink first off...and it was clearly a regift cause there was a piece of tape and wrapping paper under the wrapping paper they used..haha....guess they didnt like the gift..what a bummer..i put small votice candles in it and put them in a yard sale and got a good penny for them all..hahah maybe i did get a good gift after all..haha

2. Moonlily

Moonlily Reindeer Pooper Scooper Merry Forums Member

Well mine was handmade by my dad so special in that regard...but it was a clown pillow! Just a clown head! Like I was supposed to put my face on a clown face.

Contented, Ryan, Solice and 1 other person like this.
  3. sgrover

sgrover MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

vest.jpg One year my grandmother crocheted vests for all the girl grandchildren in the younger age group. My two older sisters missed out on this one. Here we all are, in all our finery!

4. xmasfan95

xmasfan95 Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

The worst Christmas gifts were when someone gave me an electronic toy off some sort (like a toy phone, a toy race track, etc) but they didn't give batteries along with them. And since my family was on a budget, they had to choose wisely what things to buy at the store. So if a toy didn't come with batteries, I either had to dig around the house looking for a few spare batteries that might be stuck in junk drawers, or wait weeks (sometimes months) for my family to buy batteries. It's this kind of thing that has made me talk out loud in public places about how all these toys and things should actually come packaged with batteries when they are sold. No more of this "batteries not included" nonsense. It makes me seem like a jerk, but when part of your childhood is like that, those kinds of things happen to you. I've already got it planned that if I give people toys for presents, I'm buying the batteries for them too, so they don't have to go through what I did.

HollyJolly and Contented like this.
  5. Skippy1707

Skippy1707 Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class Merry Forums Member

Mines very similar to yours sgrover! I have a younger sister Abby and we were forever given matching knitted jumpers by my nan. At the time we hated being dressed the same since there is 3 years difference between us but we both love looking back at the pictures now. Some of her designs are etched in our brains we had a black jumper which has rows of licorice all sorts across it, Benjamin rabbit on a pale yellow jumper complete with pom pom tails on the back, my sister and me had ninja turtle knitted jumpers as well as daffy and Donald duck.
    There are far too many matching outfits to go into. Why do parents do it?

6. Aaron Henton

Aaron Henton Proprietor, Merry and Bright! Christmas Music Blog MMC Partner MMC Premiere Member

Let's call this "most awkward" instead of worst, as the story will reveal. My wife and I had been married for a couple years and at this particular Christmas had our first child, born in April, so she was about 9 months old. We were at the Christmas celebration at my wife's Grandmother's house, with extended family. The grandchildren were all teens to young adults, ourselves being the first of the whole bunch of siblings and cousins to have a baby. Gifts from grandma to the grandchildren were being opened, all were decent and quite age-appropriate. Then I opened mine. It was a set of children's storybooks, fairy-tales and such, with accompanying cassette tapes to listen along. I looked at it, wondering if it had been mis-labelled and intended for someone else. I waited, silent. I waited for as long as I could for someone to jump in and say something to explain it, either as a mix-up in the name tag, or something. Please, someone, say something. Finally I just said, with a puzzled look on my face, "Is this right?" One of the other adult male grandchildren quickly said, with an exasperated tone, "Yes!". He apparently had been there during the wrapping. So then Grandma herself explained that she got this for me to use to read the stories to our daughter. So, the thought was very good and with a very fine intent, it was just a moment of "ummmmmmm...... thanks??????" that was a bit awkward.

Contented likes this.
  7. Christmas Rat.

Christmas Rat. Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member

To set this story. I don't drink. Not even socially. I'm not a happy drunk so instead of loosing friends I stay completely sober. When I go to bars someone always buys me a bottle of beer. I take a bit of a drink. The remaining 99% of the beer turns into warm spiders. My worst gift ever? An empty bottle of Toquilla. It was a nice bottle. Came in a costume wooden box and all. But bone dry empty. Apparently one of my friends bought it for me. Everyone said, "he doesn't drink". So they drank it for me. Honestly, after the initial shock I thought it was funny too.

HollyJolly and Contented like this.
  8. shrcpark

shrcpark Reindeer Feeder Technician Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

I so understand this. My husband's mother did not accept my husband or our family and my sister-in-law did not accept me either. My mother-in-law did not really gift us with anything and they spend little time with our kids when they lived in our state. My sister-in-law gave me a "movie basket" that consisted of expired popcorn, a small bowl and some candy that I do not like. I gave her a really nice pair of earrings. Oh the horror stories we have about all these families. :)

HollyJolly likes this.
  9. GhostOfChristmasPast

GhostOfChristmasPast Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

An assortment of shirts that were all solid dark brown and solid dark green. Colors I never wear. Was very strange. Must have been a sale goin on -gift-

HollyJolly likes this.