MMC Member
Jun 13, 2017
Tillsonburg, Ontario
Veteran's Day (U.S.) 2018

KBAQ 89.5 FM HD3 - Phoenix, Arizona

Or Online.

From the web page:

Veteran’s Day Programming

2:00 – The Women of War (No Vanity Fair) - Learn about the women who served in Vietnam and the women who fought for our vets back home.

3:00 – A War on Two Fronts Part (No Our Voices) - There was the war in Vietnam and then there was the racial war back home. See what it was like to be an African- American and a Native American in war and how the indigenous mountain people of Vietnam helped our soldiers.

9:00 – Voices On the Front- Sun Sounds Radio Theater (No Book World) - From the Civil War to Desert Storm, no matter the war the sentiment is the same, as letter are read from soldiers to loved one on the home front.

10:00 – Getting into Vietnam (No A Good Book) - It was a war like no other. See how that war changed our view of battle.

When it's aired? I forgot it's today, on 11/11.

Reactions: RadioJonD

ColeThePony

PR of EQR/KOOL 96/KpopChristmas! 103/REZ 104.9
MMC Member
Jun 13, 2017
Tillsonburg, Ontario
before EBS on the radio. There was Conelrad. Those alerts aired on 640 or 1240 (AM) during the wars.

Here's the ad itself:
And here is the Conelrad broadcast from July:
I am off to bed. Tomorrow i will share more war stuff from the classic days. remember, radio nerds. DUCK AND COVER!

ColeThePony

MMC Member
Jun 13, 2017
Tillsonburg, Ontario
There is a UK version of Conelrad. Aka "Wartime Broadcasting System", aired on BBC Radio 4 back in the past. sadly i can't find the full broadcast. but i found a transcript from that broadcast from Wikipedia
This is the Wartime Broadcasting Service. This country has been attacked with nuclear weapons. Communications have been severely disrupted, and the number of casualties and the extent of the damage are not yet known. We shall bring you further information as soon as possible. Meanwhile, stay tuned to this wavelength, stay calm and stay in your own homes.

Remember there is nothing to be gained by trying to get away. By leaving your homes you could be exposing yourselves to greater danger. If you leave, you may find yourself without food, without water, without accommodation and without protection. Radioactive fall-out, which follows a nuclear explosion, is many times more dangerous if you are directly exposed to it in the open. Roofs and walls offer substantial protection. The safest place is indoors.

Make sure gas and other fuel supplies are turned off and that all fires are extinguished. If mains water is available, this can be used for fire-fighting. You should also refill all your containers for drinking water after the fires have been put out, because the mains water supply may not be available for very long.

Water must not be used for flushing lavatories: until you are told that lavatories may be used again, other toilet arrangements must be made. Use your water only for essential drinking and cooking purposes. Water means life. Don't waste it.

Make your food stocks last: ration your supply, because it may have to last for fourteen days or more. If you have fresh food in the house, use this first to avoid wasting it: food in tins will keep.

If you live in an area where a fall-out warning has been given, stay in your fall-out room until you are told it is safe to come out. When the immediate danger has passed the sirens will sound a steady note. The "all clear" message will also be given on this wavelength. If you leave the fall-out room to go to the lavatory or replenish food or water supplies, do not remain outside the room for a minute longer than is necessary.

Do not, in any circumstances, go outside the house. Radioactive fall-out can kill. You cannot see it or feel it, but it is there. If you go outside, you will bring danger to your family and you may die. Stay in your fall-out room until you are told it is safe to come out or you hear the "all clear" on the sirens.

Here are the main points again:

Stay in your own homes, and if you live in an area where a fall-out warning has been given stay in your fall-out room, until you are told it is safe to come out. The message that the immediate danger has passed will be given by the sirens and repeated on this wavelength. Make sure that the gas and all fuel supplies are turned off and that all fires are extinguished.

Water must be rationed, and used only for essential drinking and cooking purposes. It must not be used for flushing lavatories. Ration your food supply: it may have to last for fourteen days or more.

We shall repeat this broadcast in two hours' time. Stay tuned to this wavelength, but switch your radios off now to save your batteries until we come on the air again. That is the end of this broadcast.

RadioJonD

♪♫~Guru of Yule Audio~♫♪
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2005
Moon Winx Motor Lodge
radiojond.tumblr.com
@RadioJonD Is there a New Year's Eve Audio Sources / Radio Broadcast thread or is it on there?

There's not one. I usually just tack on public radio New Year shows in the annual Christmas schedule/programming thread.

That doesn’t mean we can’t have a dedicated thread though. Or, put them here.

I grew up in the era of Conelrad!

ColeThePony

MMC Member
Jun 13, 2017
Tillsonburg, Ontario
Well. I missed the 2018 Opening Day for Major League Baseball yesterday as well. I should be demoted or fired (like a twinkie).

But, then again, you didn't post anything either!

Check out this archive from syndicated public radio show "American Routes" for some more Baseball tunes and interviews.

From the webpage:

TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME: SPORTS & MUSIC
October 17th, 2007

Feel the thrill of victory as we hear the connections between sports and music in American life. With the World Series upon us, we’ll hear songs about baseball and its heroes in jazz and blues, country and folk. Plus comments from Yankee centerfielder and guitarist Bernie Williams and 1969 Miracle Met (and music lover) Ron Swoboda. And get tips on hitting and the harmonica from Stan “The Man” Musial. In hour two, it’s the music of basketball, boxing, horseracing and football. Meet the bugler at Churchill Downs, and hear about the pull of music from pianist and New Orleans Saints’ cornerback Ashley Ambrose. See you at the game.

HOUR ONE
  • Radio Call: Bobby Thompson's Shot Heard ‘Round The World
    Baseball: A Film By Ken Burns, Elektra/Nonesuch
  • Take Me Out To The Ballgame King Curtis
  • Baseball Boogie Mabel Scott
  • Brown Eyed Handsome Man Chuck Berry
    His Best, Vol.1, MCA
  • SEGMENT: Stan Musial
    Stan the Man's Hit Record and Stan Musial Plays the Harmonica, Phillips Petroleum Company
  • Joltin' Joe DiMaggio Les Brown and His Orchestra
    Baseball's Greatest Hits, Rhino
  • Instrumental: Take Me Out To The Ball Game Sam Bush
    Diamond Cuts, Hungry for Music
  • Joe DiMaggio Done It Again Billy Bragg & Wilco
    Mermaid Avenue, Volume 2, Elektra
  • Baseball Blues Claire Hamill
    Baseball Hits, Flashback
  • Catfish Bob Dylan
    The Bootleg Series: Vol. 1-3, Columbia
  • Van Lingle Mungo Dave Frishberg
  • SEGMENT: Ron Swoboda (for NY Met)

Listen
  • Take Me Out To The Ballgame Dr. John
  • Instrumental: Take Me Out to the BallgameLos Straitjackets
    Diamond Cuts Triple Play, Hungry for Music
  • Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit that Ball?Count Basie and his Orchestra
  • Say Hey (The Willie Mays Songs) The Treniers
  • SEGMENT: Bernie Williams (NY Yankee)
  • Take Me Out To The Ball Game George Winston
    Diamond Cuts: Turning Two, Hungry for Music
  • POSTCARD St. Louis Cardinals 7th Inning Stretch, Busch Stadium
  • Blues for J Jimmy Smith
    Ultimate Jimmy Smith, Verve
  • The Ball Game Sister Wynona Carr
  • You've Got To Hit The Right Lick Big Bill Broonzy
    Diamond Cuts, Hungry for Music

One of the song aired during the American Routes baseball special is Rhino Records
They're also a video distribution company too. There is a OA Episode about it.

Here's their commercial as part of their releases:

List of Rhino releases (source from: https://vhscollector.com/distributor/rhino-home-video):
upload_2019-3-27_13-3-46.png

ColeThePony

MMC Member
Jun 13, 2017
Tillsonburg, Ontario
Happy Easter ! Tomorrow Those Were The Days will be playing some classic Easter Specials from the radio !

WDCB 90.9 - April 20, 2019

From The Nostalgia Digest Facebook Page:
upload_2019-4-19_12-29-36.png

Schedule:
Easter bonnet and finds that several other parties are interested in getting it for themselves. Andre Baruch announces. Blue Coal, MBS. (29 min)
I SUSTAIN THE WINGS (4-8-44) A broadcast from New York featuring the band of the Army Air Forces Training Command, directed by Captain Glenn Miller, with Sgt. Johnny Desmond, Sgt. Bob Carroll and the Crew Chiefs, announcer Don Briggs and Sgt. Broderick Crawford. Desmond sings “Easter Parade” and “Poinciana.” Sustaining, NBC. (30 min)
CEILING UNLIMITED (4-9-44) An Easter Sunday broadcast, with master of ceremonies Joseph Cotten, singer Constance Moore, announcer Pat McGeehan and guest Agnes Moorehead, who appears in a dramatic story, “God’s Corporals.” Moore sings “Gee, But I’d Like to Be With You on an Easter Sunday” and Cotten tells the story of the poem, “Hymn to a Hero.” Lockheed Aircraft, CBS. (30 min)
GREAT GILDERSLEEVE (4-9-52) Willard Waterman stars as Gildy, with Walter Tetley as Leroy, Lillian Randolph as Birdie, Mary Lee Robb as Marjorie, Dick LeGrand as Peavey, Earle Ross as Judge Hooker. Gildy is persuaded to wake up at 4:00 am for the sunrise Easter service. Kraft, NBC. (29 min)

Source from: http://www.nostalgiadigest.com/those were the days.htm

ColeThePony

MMC Member
Jun 13, 2017
Tillsonburg, Ontario
And American Routes did a Easter special this year! Take a listen.

http://americanroutes.wwno.org/arch...ie-Louvin-and-the-Santa-Maria-Produce-Company (PRX upload: https://beta.prx.org/stories/272523 )

PLAYLIST:
HOUR 1:
Open Bed: Broadminded Louvin Brothers
When I Stop Dreaming: The Best of the Louvin Brothers, Razor & Tie
(I'm) Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs Elvis Presley
His Hand in Mine, RCA
The Ballad of John & Yoko John Lennon
The U.S. vs. John Lennon: Music from the Motion Picture, Capitol
Sin City The Flying Burrito Brothers
The Gilded Palace of Sin, Edsel
Milky White Way The Trumpeteers
Goodbye Babylon , Dust-to-Digital
Up Above My Head Sharon Jones with Billy Rivers and the Angelic Voices of Faith
Music From & Recorded For The Motion Picture The Great Debaters, Atlantic
Instrumental: Old Gospel Jackie McLean
New and Old Gospel, Blue Note
Swing Down Chariot (aka Let Me Ride) The Staple Singers
The Best of the Vee-Jay Years, Shout! Factory
Great Speckled Bird Lucinda Williams
Ramblin', Smithsonian Folkways
SEGMENT: Charlie Louvin
Instrumental: Just As I Am Willie Nelson
Red Headed Stranger, Columbia
When the Springtime Comes Again The Carter Family
In the Shadow of Clinch Mountain, Bear Family
Springtime Can Kill You Jolie Holland
Springtime Can Kill You, Anti
Sally Go 'Round the Roses The Jaynettes
Chess Rhythm & Roll, MCA/Chess
Just a Closer Walk With Thee Happyland Band
Saints' Paradise, Smithsonian Folkways
Down by the Riverside The Blind Boys of Alabama with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band & Allen Toussaint
Down in New Orleans, Time/Life
Closing Bed: Tipitina Allen Toussaint
American Routes original recording,

HOUR 2:
Open Bed: I'll be Satisfied and Christian Automobile The Paschall Brothers
American Routes original recording,
SEGMENT: Santa Maria Produce Company in Shreveport, LA

Shadrack Louis Prima
Ultra-Lounge: Wild, Cool & Swingin', Vol. 1, Capitol
Two Little Fishes and Five Loaves of Bread Sister Rosetta Tharpe
The Original Soul Sister, Proper
In the Sweet Bye and Bye Johnny Cash