MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 27, 2008
Mid-Michigan
Merry Wednesday!

We had some freezing drizzle overnight and the schools in the area were closed or delayed several hours. Was supposed to go to the store today but stayed home. The sun is out right now, and the ice is melting off of the trucks here in the woods. The porch was very icy this morning and I used most of a bottle of pet safe ice melt so I could get out to feed the birds and take the trash out to the road. The future forecast is calling for cold temperatures, but so far, no mention of anymore precipitation. The good news is that power was not lost! Whatever the power company has been doing to rectify the situation out here must finally be working. Yay!!!!

I just had a bowl of tomato soup w/leftover Spanish rice in it for lunch/dinner. It was different tasting, but once I added some smoked black pepper and a bit of Parmesan, it was yummier.

Working on store tasks and catching up on a few chores the rest of the afternoon.

Be safe and merry!!

sugarmuffin25

Christmas Fanatic
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Oct 18, 2016
Ohio
Hey everyone! I've been away for a few days because my brother had to have an emergency surgery. Thankfully, he will be ok. I have been reading through the posts and have been impressed with the way people have been able to find some ways to save money already this year! So I started looking at some of our habits. I have this weird habit of recording what we ate for dinner every day. I draw out calendars every year (printing out calendars would be easier, but I enjoy drawing them. Weird!) and record what I made for dinner each day or record if we ordered out. I also challenge myself to make three new recipes each month. I started doing this 3 years ago partly because my husband was making comments that he felt we had the same things over and over and I wanted to prove him wrong (haha) and partly because I have started cooking more and wanted to see what worked and what didn't. Then it just became a habit. So, I just looked at all of the months from last year and made a list of all the times we went to a restaurant or ordered out. Ouch. Boy was that an eye opener. I am thankful I didn't record how much each meal out was! Let's just say that between our local Chinese takeout place and a local mom and pop restaurant that we love to order from I could have saved a TON of money. And that was just those two places, let alone all the other ones I had to list So, thanks to everyone for talking about trying to save money here because it forced me to realize I need to cook more and stay away from takeout so much! I am going to try and limit it to twice a month instead of the 4-5 times we were doing!

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
Love your new car! You'll be back to driving before you know it!

Thanks, SFM! Yes, I keep telling myself that too. I don't want to rush time, but unfortunately I feel like the older I get, that's what happens. My best friend called me yesterday and said the tickets for "The Not So Scary Mickey's Halloween" went on sale and we soon need to pick what night we want to go when we are in Disney. We are going this coming September and need to start really finalizing in March - that puts us at 6 months out!

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
Merry Wednesday!

We had some freezing drizzle overnight and the schools in the area were closed or delayed several hours. Was supposed to go to the store today but stayed home. The sun is out right now, and the ice is melting off of the trucks here in the woods. The porch was very icy this morning and I used most of a bottle of pet safe ice melt so I could get out to feed the birds and take the trash out to the road. The future forecast is calling for cold temperatures, but so far, no mention of anymore precipitation. The good news is that power was not lost! Whatever the power company has been doing to rectify the situation out here must finally be working. Yay!!!!

I just had a bowl of tomato soup w/leftover Spanish rice in it for lunch/dinner. It was different tasting, but once I added some smoked black pepper and a bit of Parmesan, it was yummier.

Working on store tasks and catching up on a few chores the rest of the afternoon.

Be safe and merry!!

So glad to hear you've kept you power. Hope that continues! Stay safe and warm as well!

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
Hey everyone! I've been away for a few days because my brother had to have an emergency surgery. Thankfully, he will be ok. I have been reading through the posts and have been impressed with the way people have been able to find some ways to save money already this year! So I started looking at some of our habits. I have this weird habit of recording what we ate for dinner every day. I draw out calendars every year (printing out calendars would be easier, but I enjoy drawing them. Weird!) and record what I made for dinner each day or record if we ordered out. I also challenge myself to make three new recipes each month. I started doing this 3 years ago partly because my husband was making comments that he felt we had the same things over and over and I wanted to prove him wrong (haha) and partly because I have started cooking more and wanted to see what worked and what didn't. Then it just became a habit. So, I just looked at all of the months from last year and made a list of all the times we went to a restaurant or ordered out. Ouch. Boy was that an eye opener. I am thankful I didn't record how much each meal out was! Let's just say that between our local Chinese takeout place and a local mom and pop restaurant that we love to order from I could have saved a TON of money. And that was just those two places, let alone all the other ones I had to list So, thanks to everyone for talking about trying to save money here because it forced me to realize I need to cook more and stay away from takeout so much! I am going to try and limit it to twice a month instead of the 4-5 times we were doing!

Prayers for your brother- so glad he is going to be okay. Continued speedy recovery for him! As for the saving money for him, the one thing we have never worried too much about, is the cooking and eating in, we say we are going to do it and simply just don't. We're really cracking down already and just making ourselves do it. I said to DH just the other night as an example and I mean, he see's my point, when he is working night's a lot of times the kids love to do "pizza and movie night" from Pizza Hut or Papa John's. Until I order from there and pay the delivery fee and the tip (and now it always has to be delivered, the kids like wings too), it's usually $30-40! It's just as simple and a lot cheaper to pick-up a few frozen pizzas while we're at the store. Just stuff like that and stuff we gotta keep remembering. Good luck with it and let me know how how it goes! We're trying to limit ourselves to one day a week. Believe it or not, with our crazy activity schedules and work schedules, we were eating sometimes wayyyyyy too much!

Last edited:

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
Very nice Sugar. A question off topic if you don't mind. Is the home in the background of the picture with the Christmas decorations adorning the porch yours?-mistletoe-
B231054A-3EB3-47E5-8C58-1F0D2205DB4F.jpeg
1579E68F-6EA8-45DA-9EBC-7FD1EC1021CD.jpeg

Thank you, HIS! No actually, I wouldn’t be able to begin to tell you whose it is. That is actually a neighbor to the fire station that DH works at. This is our’s, through the season.

Last edited:

prancer

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Talk Alum
Nov 1, 2012
Prayers for your brothers - so glad he is going to be okay. Continued speedy recovery for him! As for the saving money for him, the one thing we have never worried too much about, is the cooking and eating in, we say we are going to do it and simply just don't. We're really cracking down already and just making ourselves do it. I said to DH just the other night as an example and I mean, he see's my point, when he is working night's a lot of times the kids love to do "pizza and movie night" from Pizza Hut or Papa John's. Until I order from there and pay the delivery fee and the tip (and now it always has to be delivered, the kids like wings too), it's usually $30-40! It's just as simple and a lot cheaper to pick-up a fee frozen pizzas while we're at the store. Just stuff like that and stuff we gotta keep remembering. Good luck with it and let me know how how it goes! We're trying to limit ourselves to one day a week. Believe it or not, with our crazy activity schedules and work schedules, we were eating sometimes wayyyyyy too much!

Totally agree with stamping down on takeaways...We are always busy too sugar and always say ohhh get a chinese takeaway on the way home or order pizza and get it delivered..Its scary what you spend on eating out and takeaways...So i have a list now when i go shopping and buy everything fresh and cook it myself and our monthly out goings for food has almost halved.:)

prancer

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Talk Alum
Nov 1, 2012

Hey sugarmuffin...Wish your brother a speedy recovery my friend...keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers:)

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
Totally agree with stamping down on takeaways...We are always busy too sugar and always say ohhh get a chinese takeaway on the way home or order pizza and get it delivered..Its scary what you spend on eating out and takeaways...So i have a list now when i go shopping and buy everything fresh and cook it myself and our monthly out goings for food has almost halved.:)

Good for you! It is the way to go for sure!

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
It’s been a long couple of days here. My neighbor came home from rehab on Saturday and he really should have never been released. His kids act like it’s a big shock but even I knew he would need 24/7 care once he got home from when I went to visit him there. It’s not like the doctors were trying to hide it. His daughters just wanted to ignore it and thought he’d be fine. So now it’s just a big mess and I’ve been over there a lot trying to help out when they can’t be. They say they have worked out a plan but I’ve heard like 5 different versions of it today alone. So who knows what is going to end up happening. I just know it can’t keep going like it is.
So nice of you to help out!! I hope they get something figured out to keep him home, safe & healthy. Are there any Amish in the area that will do caregiving? They were SUCH a blessing to us!!!!

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Morning MMC friends...Nothing much planned today...Got another appointment with my GP today and see how we can move forward or change my meds...Enjoy ur day ahead MMC friends:)
Hope your appointment went well!! xx ♥

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image