Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Christmas/Holiday Radio Programming & Schedules

Discussion in 'Christmas Radio & Audio' started by KWasser, Sep 8, 2017.

1. KWasser

KWasser Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class MMC Lifer

It's after Labor Day, so....close enough, right?!?

Well, it is for one station: The online radio station Magic 105, out of Dayton, Ohio has switched over to Christmas music just today!

No word yet as to whether or not this is a temporary blast of Christmas music for a week or two, or if this is the official start to carry the radio station on through until New Years Day. Sorry if you're of the opinion that "It's an online radio station, it doesn't count!" but I always get a kick out of that radio station; it is run by some people who love flipping it over to Christmas music off and on throughout the year (the last time was during "Christmas in July").

Anyway, this is THE thread for tracking radio stations flipping to Christmas music over the final months of 2017!

Here's how it usually works: There's usually one or two radio stations that will flip to Christmas music in September. Probably 10 to 25 more flip to Christmas music in October. And then across the nation, the rest of the radio stations that do Christmas music will switch over in November, some prior to Thanksgiving, and a few holding out till after Turkey Day.

Post about it here, if you discover a radio stations switch over, whether it be a programming block that runs for just a few hours, or if they're now playing Christmas Music 24/7 till late December!

Ddeby, Holiday, Storeytime and 2 others like this.
  2. KWasser

Magic 105 also went to the trouble of making a Youtube video today, promoting the Christmas music:

3. RadioJonD

RadioJonD ♪♫Mistletoe Mix-ologist♫♪ Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa Christmas.com Alum Christmas Talk Alum

This thread is always like the return of a seasonal friend! At least, for me.

Yesterday, by coincidence, the Autumn and final issue of "Nostalgia Digest" for 2017 landed. In it, the rest of the year schedule for "Those Were The Days" OTR radio show.

Halloween, Thanksgiving, & Christmas shows galore! Way too much to retype now so look for the complete copy & paste schedule here when it becomes available on the webpage at the end of September.

Time and place for "Those Were the Days" from the webpage:

Tune in to our weekly program of vintage radio shows, with producer/host Steve Darnall, broadcast live every Saturday from 1 to 5 pm (Central time) on WDCB 90.9 FM in the Chicago area and world-wide on the Internet at www.wdcb.org.

4. RadioJonD

RadioJonD ♪♫Mistletoe Mix-ologist♫♪ Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa Christmas.com Alum Christmas Talk Alum

[​IMG]

Randy Sherwyn (who lives in Florida and is now getting ready for Hurricane Irma) prepares for "Christmas Across the Lands" pretty much all year. Several stations across the world will air this twelve hour show.

From the webpage:

2017 will be our 18th year of producing the 12 Hour Christmas Radio Special, and what a ride it is! Originally called "Christmas At Home", the name was changed in 2007 to reflect how global the show has become. From across the USA and Canada, many foreign countries as far away as Dubai, Phillipines, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Ireland, and more. Plus we are honored to donate our show to the American Forces Network-Radio!

'CAY' FaceBook page

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  5. RadioJonD

Ten Hours with the Wink!

Another syndicated radio show for radio stations to buy and air.

[​IMG]

From the webpage:

DESCRIPTION

The 100 Greatest Christmas Hits Of All Time: The 2017 Edition is the newest incarnation of our legendary, award-winning ten-hour countdown of the best-loved, best-selling, highest-charting and most requested ORIGINAL HIT Yuletide recordings ever made. More than 160 stars offer heartfelt greetings as well as the sometimes moving, sometimes funny but always unforgettable stories behind the Christmas classics they made famous. Beloved broadcaster Wink Martindale hosts all ten hours, counting down everyone’s favorite Yuletide classics – both hit singles and key tracks from the most popular Christmas albums ever – from 100 to 1. Along for the fun: a few surprise “bonus tracks” plus special features to warm your heart and insure that 2016 will mark your very Merriest Christmas yet!

6. DoYouHearWhatIHear

DoYouHearWhatIHear Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Premiere Member

@RadioJonD @KWasser This thread opening makes me so very happy! Looking forward to all the great updates! :) Thank you!!

Holiday, Storeytime and RadioJonD like this.
  7. Storeytime

Storeytime Santa's Sleigh Designer Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa

Totally agree Jon Jon.

8. Storeytime

Storeytime Santa's Sleigh Designer Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa

9. ColeThePony

ColeThePony Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Member

May i listen to Christmas music early ?

10. RadioJonD

No restrictions around these here parts!

DoYouHearWhatIHear likes this.
  11. wlqtdb

wlqtdb Christmas Fan MMC Member

We are ALL Christmas Music until January 1st! We know it may be early, but there's some great things coming for the station, so we wanted to go Christmas EXTRA EARLY this year! If you'd like to request a song, head to our website... wlqtdb.com and click the Song Request Button!

God Bless and Merry Christmas! :)

12. ColeThePony

2 THINGS ARE COMING TOGETHER!

The Upcoming My Little Pony Movie & Christmas music.

I am hyped
    [​IMG]

Also, thank you for putting on christmas music early. This is comfort food for the victims of the hurricane harvey/irma. #PrayForFlorida

13. KWasser

I like that sentiment. There was one year, a few years back (either 2009 or 2010, I want to say) that a local radio station switched over to Christmas music in late October (1 or 2 days before Halloween). I loved it, of course, but I went to check out their website, and there was a message on there that said "Looking at the news events of the last few months, it's been a rough year, so to combat that, we're launching Christmas music extra early."

I forget what was in the news that made people think the year (2009 or 2010) was so bad. This is not to get political, but I certainly remember people thinking last year (2016) was a rough year to endure, with all the tragic news events, and people were saying they were ready for Christmas music.

Anyway, I do suspect there are some in Texas and Florida right now who might be ready for some Christmas Music, to take their mind off their worries.

EDIT: It was 2009! I found the relevant post on the radio station flipping over here on this forum:

https://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/...rogramming-schedules.15305/page-6#post-196726

Of course, that radio station (Star 105.1) has long since closed down, back around 2011 or 2012 (leaving us with only one radio station in town that does Christmas music)....as I recall now, the "bad year" they were combating was in relation to the "Great Recession" that started with the collapse of the economy back in 2008. Yes, we needed a little Christmas music that year.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    RadioJonD and DoYouHearWhatIHear like this.
  14. KWasser

Thanks for the Christmas music!

I hope that after the holidays are over and you switch back to normal programming, eventually you guys should launch another "sister station" that plays Christmas 24/7 throughout the year, like you used to have (I think it was called "Santa93fm" or "Christmas98fm"). I understand it's an extra expense, but I (and others) enjoyed it.

I enjoy your regular music format as well, but as you can tell, we're all about the Christmas music around here. ;)

15. liswank

liswank Christmas Fan MMC Member

I know it's ridiculous, since I can just pull up all the songs on Spotify whenever I want, but for some reason, I need to listen to Christmas radio!

16. ColeThePony

I agree with you..

Since the 9/11 attacks according to Wikipedia
    One of the radio stations, according to you, flipped to christmas music 1 or 2 days until Halloween. but right after Hurricane Irma & Hurricane Harvey happened. One of the radio stations flipped to Christmas music early this year in 2017.

And that's right. i am talking about Magic 105.

I am glad for them to play Christmas music early. Christmas music as i repeat, is comfort food since the hurricanes. Tragic news events, happened.

but there some bad complains happened.

AND
    GUESS WHAT

A news site named Dayton.com attacked Lite 105 (before Magic 105), ranting about early christmas music.

Here's a quote from that article.
    I don't agree with that listener.

Other listeners got angry when radio stations flip the switch like as quoted from other radio stations with the christmas music flip announcements

Before i do that. this is not my opinion. it's from Facebook.

GUESS WHAT YOU PEOPLES..

DON'T CHANGE THE DIAL!!!

IF YOU DO....

I WANT TO TELL YOU THIS

I AM SERIOUS NOW....

[​IMG]

YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!! Hate Xmas music, go away. goodbye

Like it. well. enjoy the christmas music.

I love Magic 105, i love it when they play christmas music early after the tragic events happened.

17. KWasser

While I personally love the station, Magic 105 is such a small little internet operation, people shouldn't bother hating on it. It's not a threat to anyone, it's just some guy online playing the music he loves. I like the soft rock mix, but I also love the Christmas music he's playing now. They need to leave him alone.

To clarify, I don't think he launched early due to tragic events (like the Hurricanes, etc). It's perhaps just a welcome byproduct for those affected, if they were to somehow find a way to tune in online.

Though I do suspect some terrestrial radio stations in Texas and Florida will switch over before too long (in October) due to the rough times they're going through...

RadioJonD likes this.
  18. ColeThePony

[​IMG]

RadioJonD likes this.
  19. ColeThePony

One of the radio stations i will listen during christmas music season is: [​IMG]

99.9 KEZ Christmas is a online spinoff radio station based on KEZ 99.9's christmas music format 24/7. take a listen: https://www.iheart.com/live/kez-christmas-music-7405/

But i am awaiting for KOST 103.5 to flip the switch to All Christmas music..

KOST 103.5,

[​IMG]
    and #KOSTChristmas2017.

RadioJonD and KWasser like this.
  20. RadioJonD

I'm not sure about this because I'm not where i can tune in SiriusXM. From the looks of this page it seems that Holiday Traditions is on XM Channel 782 for today and tomorrow.

From the page:

Holiday Traditions - Tue Sep 19 12:00 am - Wed Sep 20 12:00 am---Featuring traditional holiday music from the ‘40s through the ‘60s by artists such as Andy Williams, Ray Conniff, Bing Crosby and Nat “King” Cole.

Edit & Update... Online only. Oh, well.

Could it be that SiriusXM is testing the waters to gauge when to start on satellite?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    xmastidings and XmasDreams like this.