Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
It is with sadness that I need to announce the passing of one of our members. Out of respect for her family, I will not identify her directly here at this time.

Earlier this week I received a rather unsettling message from her. I contacted her out of concern but sadly did not hear back from her. On Thursday I received a message from her brother, who was trying to find anyone who had seen her or had had contact with her. She had removed herself from the emergency room where she had been taken and nobody could find her. Her blood alcohol levels measured dangerously high (she was a very small lady).

Since I was going to Salt Lake yesterday anyway I met with her family as they met again with police.

I answered their questions as best as I could and when I left there was a very organized effort to look for her that had been underway for a couple of days. She had left behind her cell phone, her ID and her shoes.

This morning I received the terrible news of her passing.

These are very difficult times. As a look back on this week I'm filled with terrible thoughts of not doing enough or acting sooner. I knew she was hurting but I had no idea it was so dire.

I feel terribly for her loved ones. They seem like very nice people and they are crushed -- just devastated by what has happened.

Please folks, let's stick together. If you need help, please get it. I've seen this number passed around a lot but until the last few days I haven't given it enough thought. 1-800-273-8255 -- that's a number you can call when you need a counselor.

MMC was one of her Christmas happy places. At least once a year I would get a note from her apologizing for not joining the Christmas Card Exchange but always expressing her gratitude for this place and the people here. She told me it was one of the few places she could escape the troubling things of this world and think happy thoughts.

Santa's Sleigh will be making a donation to her family to help with funeral expenses.

Thanks.

ponytramp

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Sep 21, 2019
new england
That truly is sad. My heart goes out to her family and loved ones.
I pray they have the strength to get through these difficult times.

Thank-you again Jeff for providing all of us with a happy place to go. It is really really appreciated.

LadyLynn

The Christmas Freak
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 22, 2020
Utah
My heart breaks for her and her family. I am glad she found solace in this site. Thank you for posting the suicide helpline number. The year 2022 can't come fast enough--that is when the 988 number is supposed to go into effect all over the U.S. It will be like 911 except for suicide issues. If someone is struggling and needs alternatives to the helpline, it might be helpful to know many, if not most, religious organizations have counselors who can help; many counties have mental health agencies that can help and they take Medicaid, Medicare or no insurance at all. I am sure you probably all know this, but if family and friends are worried about someone, the police, at least here in the United States, will do a wellness check. And has been said by others all ready, right now we really need to all help each other with mental health issues--depression, anxiety, bi-polar, post-traumatic stress and all the other mental illnesses are not weakness, they are health crises and there should be no stigma attached to seeking help.

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
My heart breaks for her and her family. I am glad she found solace in this site. Thank you for posting the suicide helpline number. The year 2022 can't come fast enough--that is when the 988 number is supposed to go into effect all over the U.S. It will be like 911 except for suicide issues. If someone is struggling and needs alternatives to the helpline, it might be helpful to know many, if not most, religious organizations have counselors who can help; many counties have mental health agencies that can help and they take Medicaid, Medicare or no insurance at all. I am sure you probably all know this, but if family and friends are worried about someone, the police, at least here in the United States, will do a wellness check. And has been said by others all ready, right now we really need to all help each other with mental health issues--depression, anxiety, bi-polar, post-traumatic stress and all the other mental illnesses are not weakness, they are health crises and there should be no stigma attached to seeking help.

Good info. I did not know this.

Christmasplease

Fruit Cake Baker
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Aug 9, 2015
Canada
Oh my gosh. You never truly know how badly someone may be hurting.
I’m sending
It is with sadness that I need to announce the passing of one of our members. Out of respect for her family, I will not identify her directly here at this time.

Earlier this week I received a rather unsettling message from her. I contacted her out of concern but sadly did not hear back from her. On Thursday I received a message from her brother, who was trying to find anyone who had seen her or had had contact with her. She had removed herself from the emergency room where she had been taken and nobody could find her. Her blood alcohol levels measured dangerously high (she was a very small lady).

Since I was going to Salt Lake yesterday anyway I met with her family as they met again with police.

I answered their questions as best as I could and when I left there was a very organized effort to look for her that had been underway for a couple of days. She had left behind her cell phone, her ID and her shoes.

This morning I received the terrible news of her passing.

These are very difficult times. As a look back on this week I'm filled with terrible thoughts of not doing enough or acting sooner. I knew she was hurting but I had no idea it was so dire.

I feel terribly for her loved ones. They seem like very nice people and they are crushed -- just devastated by what has happened.

Please folks, let's stick together. If you need help, please get it. I've seen this number passed around a lot but until the last few days I haven't given it enough thought. 1-800-273-8255 -- that's a number you can call when you need a counselor.

MMC was one of her Christmas happy places. At least once a year I would get a note from her apologizing for not joining the Christmas Card Exchange but always expressing her gratitude for this place and the people here. She told me it was one of the few places she could escape the troubling things of this world and think happy thoughts.

Santa's Sleigh will be making a donation to her family to help with funeral expenses.

Thanks.
:(
prayers for her and her family.

Rich

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
South of the North Pole ( Middle Georgia, USA)
So sad. Praying for her family.
It was so nice of you to visit the family. I'm sure it means a lot to them Especially now.

Christmasstar

one Crazy Canadian !
MMC Lifer
Nov 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada eh!
so sad to hear this, praying for her family.
So many are stressed right now with all that is going on.
for those in my area here is where you can get help
Distress Centres and Crisis lines in Ontario
Distress Centres/Crisis Lines in Ontario:
If you are facing Mental Health Emergency, you can contact 911 or go to your nearest hospital.
If you are in crisis and need support, there are websites that you can check and it is for all regions in Ontario:
ONTX Ontario Online & Text Crisis Services (2pm to 2am):
It is very important that you register first for this service now before you are in a crisis.
Information- http://www.dcontario.org/PDF/ONTX_information.pdf
To use online: http://dcontario.org/ontx.html or Text at 258258

Mental Health Helpline:
For community information and they have a chat line that you can talk to someone to get information: www.mentalhealthhelpline.ca
ConnexOntario:
Provide free and confidential health services information for people experiencing problems with gambling, alcohol/drugs and mental health
http://www.connexontario.ca/
Kids Help Phone:
If you are a child or teen and need support, you can go to Kids Help Phone 1 800 668 6868 (voice) or chat online at www.kidshelpphone.ca

Assaulted Women’s Helpline:
TTY: 416.364.8762 & TTY Toll free: 1.866.863.7868
Phone: GTA- 416.863.0511 & toll free: 1.866.863.0511
http://www.awhl.org/
Here is the list of your local distress/crisis lines:

made582

MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
Praying for her family.

Meceka

MMC Associate Editor
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 27, 2008
Mid-Michigan
Oh my goodness, that is so heart breaking. My prayers going up for her and her family.

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
This is very sad, indeed, especially since it's one of the MMC family. I'm glad Jeff was able to be there and that Santa's Sleigh was able to help. Prayers are rising.

Christmasplease

Fruit Cake Baker
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Aug 9, 2015
Canada
If you are facing Mental Health Emergency, you can contact 911 or go to your nearest hospital.
If you are in crisis and need support, there are websites that you can check and it is for all regions in Ontario:
It is very important that you register first for this service now before you are in a crisis.

Mental Health Helpline:
For community information and they have a chat line that you can talk to someone to get information: www.mentalhealthhelpline.ca
ConnexOntario:
Provide free and confidential health services information for people experiencing problems with gambling, alcohol/drugs and mental health
Kids Help Phone:
If you are a child or teen and need support, you can go to Kids Help Phone 1 800 668 6868 (voice) or chat online at www.kidshelpphone.ca

Thank you.

Christmasplease

Fruit Cake Baker
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Aug 9, 2015
Canada
I’m wondering if there’s anything else her MMC Family can do?

Reindeer Herder

Chestnut Roaster
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 17, 2019
Maryland
Thoughts and prayers for the family.

These are difficult times - physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Stress levels are high and we all need to keep in touch with family, friends and the shut-ins. And to bolster our own selves - turn off the news and breath!

SnowflakeMom

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Apr 22, 2014
Connecticut
So sorry to hear this....sending prayers for her family.

SharonK

Christmas Fanatic
MMC Lifer
MMC Premiere
Jun 23, 2019
Ontario Canada
Oh my goodness, that is so heart breaking. My prayers going up for her and her family.

Mental Health Helpline:
ConnexOntario:
Kids Help Phone:

Thank you for posting this information Christmasstar . I live in the Ottawa Valley so it's good to know.

Reactions: Christmasstar

Special Events

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image