Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Advent Wreath

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by Christmas24/7, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Christmas24/7

Christmas24/7 Snowman Engineer MMC Lifer

For those of you who incorporate an advent wreath into your traditions, how do you do it? What does each candle represent? Do you have set readings/songs for each Sunday? I hadn't heard of it until I was an adult and I've seen different meanings for each candle. I'd love ideas on how to incorporate it.

2. tbutler

tbutler Tim Butler, North Pole IT Consultant Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Yes, we do an advent wreath evey year. I bought one years ago when my children were little that included nativity figures with it. Each week during advent, we will light a candle and add figures to the nativity, culiminating on Christmas Eve when we add the Christ child in the manger. After the lights are out and the candled are lit, the kids add the nativity figures for that week, I read a passage from the Bible, and we share a time of prayer. Then, while everyone snacks on homemade cinnamon rolls, I read a Christmas story. I’ve collected many Christmas story anthologies over the years, and the kids have demanded only true stories in recent years. They say the made up Christmas stories all have the same fluffy, trite endings. I don’t have a problem with that, but apparently they do. One story that is read without fail every year is the Legend of the Christmas Pants, which can be found here at MyMerryChristmas.

The Bible readings and the themes for the candles that I use every year are:

Week 1: Prophecy Candle (Isaiah 9: 1-7) - Figures added are Mary and Joseph
    Week 2: Bethlehem Candle (Micah 5:2 and Luke 2: 1 - 5) - Figures added are the stable animals
    Week 3: Angel Candle (the pink candle to symbolize the joy of the coming savior) (Luke 1: 26 -38): Figures added are the angels
    Week 4: Shepherd Candle (Luke 2: 8 - 20): Figures added are the shepherds and their sheep
    Christmas Eve: Christ Candle (John 1: 1 - 18): Figures added are Baby Jesus and the Wise Men

Enjoy building this tradition, if you choose to do so. It has been a cornerstone of the Christmas season for my family!

3. ballcoach

ballcoach Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer

Gosh, that is awesome.

He_Is_Born and tbutler like this.
  4. Christmas24/7

TButler.....that is AWESOME! I love this idea so much!!!!!! Do you have pics by any chance?

He_Is_Born and sugarmuffin25 like this.
  5. Christmas24/7

Where did you find the advent wreath with the nativity figures. And where in this group would I look for the Christmas pants story?

6. tbutler

tbutler Tim Butler, North Pole IT Consultant Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Sure do! Here is a photo of the Advent wreath itself on Christmas Eve. The other photo is, of course, of the cinnamon rolls and one of the Christmas story anthologies I own. (As for the placemats under the rolls and the book, we are homeschoolers. My wife frequently decorated our dinner table with informative placemats so the kids could learn while eating!) DBC8FF42-F85F-4889-BF3A-4FB9D753F868.jpeg 87FB1798-3602-4662-8406-4A3F9FE84B0A.jpeg

7. tbutler

I purchased the Advent Wreath from Christian Book Distributors. They no longer offer the one that I have, unfortunately. I have seen them on eBay or you could order this version and adapt: https://www.christianbook.com/nativ...Ntt=86269&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP

As for the hilarious story of the Christmas pants, you can find that at this link: https://mymerrychristmas.com/legend-of-the-christmas-pants/

He_Is_Born and Christmas24/7 like this.
  8. Christmas24/7

9. Christmas24/7

The cinnamon rolls look perfect too! :)

10. tbutler

Thanks! I make them myself!!!

11. Christmas24/7

TButler....one more question: Do you sing songs to go with each weekly theme?

12. Petronius

Petronius Santa Clausologist Merry Forums Member

Could a verse of this hymn be sung each week?

He_Is_Born and Christmas24/7 like this.
  13. tbutler

That's something we have never done! Sounds like a great idea though!

He_Is_Born likes this.
  14. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

What a beautiful tradition!!

15. Christmas24/7

TButler...guess what I just found on ebay?!?!? It's the same as yours! I'm so excited and will be adapting your ideas! Thank you! I opened it today and love it. I was a little disappointed in the look of Baby Jesus but the overall set is great!

16. tbutler

That's awesome!!!! Enjoy!!!!

He_Is_Born likes this.