Always Turkey?

Ali

Holiday Fangirl
MMC Lifer
Apr 12, 2007
England via Canada
Does it HAVE to be turkey at Thanksgiving? My mum used to do a big ham alternate years and it was delish! Pretty much the same side dishes go with both, so no biggie.

So...are you brave enough to try something different at Thanskgiving or does it have to be Turkey or Bust?

Reactions: 1 person

e_xander

Executive Producer, Tracking Santa
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 8, 2006
Fall Creek, Wisconsin
christmaspodcasts.com
We usually make 2 turkeys for Thanksgiving (we have both sides of the family over). We grill a regular turkey and then cook a smoked turkey in the oven. When it comes to Christmas eve, we started making lasagna for the dinner and then it's usually ham for Christmas day. I'm pretty much hammed out (fire away with the jokes, boys!), so I would rather have turkey.

Sean

Ali

Holiday Fangirl
MMC Lifer
Apr 12, 2007
England via Canada
I think lasagna is a fine idea! With a big side salad and a jug of wine!

But turkey for Christmas! I can substitute for Thanksgiving, not for Christmas. A nice pork roast is good at New Year too. Makes a nice change.

e_xander

MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 8, 2006
Fall Creek, Wisconsin
christmaspodcasts.com
We were skeptical at first, but then everyone loved it. I guess they were getting turkeyed out also, plus the fact that cooking all that food was taxing on my wife, (I don't dare help, unless you want to kill someone with the rock hard food) so it was nice for her to. She's able to enjoy herself more now.

Sean

Ali

Holiday Fangirl
MMC Lifer
Apr 12, 2007
England via Canada
You mention "cooking all that food", could you not do potluck? Everyone brings something? Takes a load off the Host and Hostess.

e_xander

MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 8, 2006
Fall Creek, Wisconsin
christmaspodcasts.com
That's actually a good idea, and we do have some people bring a little something, but we rotate houses on Christmas Eve (between ours, my MIL and my SIL) so it tends to even out with all the cooking. The last 3 years have been at our house because my MIL has a small house now and my SIL opted out last year. It doesn't matter to us, we like having Christmas Eve at our house.

Sean

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
Has to be Turkey with all the trimmings for Thanksgiving. Can't forget the homemade pies too!
Christmas we do Turkey and trimmings, stuffed shells, sometimes a ham too depends on how many people come to dinner.
New Years day we do Chicken Pot Pie or Chicken Dumplings.

Ali

Holiday Fangirl
MMC Lifer
Apr 12, 2007
England via Canada
Has to be Turkey with all the trimmings for Thanksgiving. Can't forget the homemade pies too!
Christmas we do Turkey and trimmings, stuffed shells, sometimes a ham too depends on how many people come to dinner.
New Years day we do Chicken Pot Pie or Chicken Dumplings.

May I get your chicken dumpling recipe please?

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image