Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

America to Mark 140 Years Since Declaring Christmas a National Holiday

Discussion in 'Christmas Controversy & Opinion' started by ElfBot, Jun 23, 2010.

1. ElfBot

ElfBot MMC Newshound

On June 26, 1870 the Congress of the United States declared Christmas — widely recognized then and now as a Christian observance — a national holiday. This weekend marks the 140th anniversary of that declaration. Christmas in America has always been controversial. Pilgrims arriving on America’s shores didn’t want to observe Christmas due to their [...]

More from Defend Christmas...

4 people like this.
  2. Christmas-A-Holic

Christmas-A-Holic MMC Goodwill Ambassador MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew

:???::???::???:

2 people like this.
  3. ChristmasKid77

ChristmasKid77 Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member

Great, informative article!

4 people like this.
  4. usafvet

usafvet Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class MMC Lifer

Though the US govt is getting out of control, I don't believe they'll ever ban or eliminate Christmas due to religious beliefs. If that ever happened, they'd also have to recognize the banning of Hannakah, Pass Over, Easter, and other holidays that have religious significance.

Not to mention, the secular aspect of Christmas makes too much money for businesses and is great for the economy. I doubt there will be any banning of the sort, at least not any time soon.

6 people like this.
  5. One Spoiled Brat

One Spoiled Brat Santa Clausologist Merry Forums Member

Thanks for sharing this.....:rudolph:

2 people like this.
  6. JanaBanana

JanaBanana *The Christmas Queen* -- Hostess, Merry Forums Member

Could very easily happen. They are trying to remove the Pledge of Allegiance from the schools, universal health care, gun rights... ect. So I wouldnt be surprised if HE removed Christmas.

4 people like this.
  7. Christmas-A-Holic

Christmas-A-Holic MMC Goodwill Ambassador MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew

On my original post I have the excited Santas. I was excited about the anniversary of the thread titled: America to Mark 140 Years Since Declaring Christmas a National Holiday. I didn't click onto the link to read the rest! I didn't read the controversy part, was just excited Christmas was declared a National Holiday. cheesy

2 people like this.
  8. Christmasstar

Christmasstar one Crazy Canadian ! MMC Lifer

a little late, but congratulations to my southern neighbours! :dance:

1 person likes this.
  9. RadioJonD

RadioJonD ♪♫Mistletoe Mix-ologist♫♪ MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum Kringle Radio DJ

Alabama Was First!

Score one for State's rights!

Alabama preceded the National proclamation by thirty-four years! Alabama was, indeed, the first state in the Union to officially declare Christmas a holiday doing so in 1836.

4 people like this.
  10. Stnicholas01

Stnicholas01 St. Nicholas MMC Lifer

I am very Happy about the 140th Anniv. because every day is Christmas for me and everyone that is near or dear to me.

3 people like this.