Apple Bread

bigbearfla58

Mistletoe Hanger
MMC Lifer
Jan 14, 2008
Apple Walnut Cake 2013

:celebrate:

Since it’s apple season, I wanted to share a great and easy Apple Walnut Cake recipe that I got from a neighbor many years ago. I just made it yesterday and it’s still delicious and most of the ingredients you probably have in your pantry:

2 cups medium size apples peeled and grated
2 tsp. cinnamon (J.R.Watkins)
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs (room temperature jumbo eggs)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 cup chopped nuts (I use walnuts/pecans/hand chopped and toasted)
1 cup flour

Mix all ingredients in large bowl first then add sliced or grated apples and chopped nuts). Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 50 to 55 minutes.

Tips:

Use a melon baller to take out the core of the apple. Use a small pairing knife to cut out the stem and remaining core. Thinly slice apple crosswise with small paring knife. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray loaf pan with non-stick baking spray. To get best crust use one antique cast iron or glass loaf pan.

Use a whisk to incorporate all dry ingredients thoroughly. Mix eggs and oil together in a two cup measure. Use a wooden spoon to combine toasted walnuts into your wet mixture. With a rubber spatula fold in apples and turn out mixture into loaf pan. Bake for 50 – 55 minutes at 350 degrees.

Have ready two sheets of waxed paper/parchment paper to turn out bread onto cooling rack.

Update: I have made this cake/bread at least 58 times since it was first posted. As of this morning I have 48 requests from friends who want the recipe or at least one loaf of this for Christmas.

Update: Monday, October 17, 2011 I made this over the weekend and if you grate in the apple instead of chopping it reduce the bake time from 55 minutes to 40 -- 45 minutes grating the apple gives it the texture of cake.

Update: Friday, April 11, 2014 to get a more tender crumb substitute 2 tbs. of corn starch for 2 tbs. of flour then sift flour 5 times to aerate the flour and corn starch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

made582

MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
Sounds great I will defintely try it as soon as I get some Apples

lmm8606

Santa Clausologist
MMC Member
Oct 13, 2008
Mid-Michigan
This was fantastic!!!!! I made it the other day for a party I was having and it was a hit! very very tasty and quick and easy to make! :)
Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I will be using it again in the near future! :D

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
ummm, has all the ingredients I like, apples, walnuts and easy.

I have apples and I will give this a try today.

Thanks for sharing.

Snowfall

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 29, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
I'm not much of a baker (yet), but I'm working on it. I'm confused about one part of this recipe.

So, you mix all ingredients except the nuts and apples. Then you add them next. Do the nuts and apples just go on top, or do you mix them in?

lmm8606

Santa Clausologist
MMC Member
Oct 13, 2008
Mid-Michigan
I'm not much of a baker (yet), but I'm working on it. I'm confused about one part of this recipe.

So, you mix all ingredients except the nuts and apples. Then you add them next. Do the nuts and apples just go on top, or do you mix them in?

I mixed them in. Now that I read it, I'm not sure if I was supposed to or not, but it worked out, lol and still tasted very good! :)

usafvet

Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
MMC Lifer
Dec 28, 2006
Central Texas
Wow, this sounds good. I wish I stumbled on this forum earlier. :)

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image