Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
JSW: Hello and welcome to our Christmas in July chat activity for today – The Become an Elf Workshop! Joining us from the North Pole Department of Elf Resources is Elf Sandy Claus of ElfHQ.com, SantaUpdate.com and SantaTrackers.net. Sandy, please explain to us WHY Santa wants just regular folks to become elves.

Elf Sandy: Okay, thank you, first of all. It’s nice to be here. To answer your question, Santa wants regular folks to become elves because he NEEDS elves to do what he does.

JSW: Doesn’t he have enough elves at the North Pole?

Elf Sandy: One of the things Santa always says is “You can never have enough elves!”

JSW: Why haven’t we seen an effort like this before then to recruit new elves?

Elf Sandy: Santa’s mission, like those of many organizations, experiences different seasons of need. And we’re just in a new season.

JSW: Okay, fair enough. So how does one become an elf. I mean, it’s an intriguing idea. Do I just sign up, hop and a sleigh and take up power tools in the workshop or what?

Elf Sandy: LOL, I wish it was that easy!

JSW: So how does it work?

Elf Sandy: Well, it begins by learning what it means to be an elf. There are things you need to know. We always begin with the Elf Code.

JSW: Is that like a rulebook?

Elf Sandy: In a way, yes. Not everyone is cut out to be an elf. There are standards, guidelines and things to know. So job one is to cover those basics through the Elf Code.

JSW: Do you have some examples?

Elf Sandy: Well, if you can spell the word Christmas then you can quickly learn the code. The code is made up of every letter of the word Christmas. For example, tenet #1 comes from the letter C in Christmas. It stands for Charitable. An Elf, first and foremost, seeks for the needs of others. Charity never faileth, as they say.

JSW: Oh…that is very simple. Are all the letters of the Elf Code that simple?

Elf Sandy: Yes, you can see the entire thing at https://elfhq.com/become-an-elf/the-elf-code/

JSW: Okay, so you learn the Elf Code. Then what?

Elf Sandy: Then you need to take the Elf Oath. You can read that at https://elfhq.com/become-an-elf/the-elf-oath/

JSW: Is the Oath another way of saying you’ll live by the Code?

Elf Sandy: Well, it’s a commitment, for sure. But it goes even deeper than the Code. The Oath is a promise. A Christmas promise. A promise to Santa.

JSW: Sounds serious.

Elf Sandy: It is serious. The business of Santa is a very serious business. He needs elves to take it all seriously.

JSW: Well…just how many elves does Santa have?

Elf Sandy: Millions and millions.

JSW: Really? And he needs more?

Elf Sandy: Well, Santa has a huge job to do and it gets bigger every year. Santa cannot be Santa without elves. Think about it.

JSW: I think when anyone thinks of elves they think of, um, little people at the snowy North Pole making toys. It’s more than that?

Elf Sandy: Oh, much more. Santa needs engineers and doctors and experts of all types. Experts in aviation, weather, and global logistics. He needs experts in reindeer! If you think about it, Santa has needs that cover just about every professional niche out there. For example, what do you do, Mr. Westover?

JSW: Well, I’m a marketing guy.

Elf Sandy: Well, Santa has a need for those skills. He has many marketing experts who are elves working for him.

JSW: Wait – really? Why does Santa need a marketing department?

Elf Sandy: Well, there’s always a need to educate the world about Santa and what he has to offer.

JSW: Well, that is the classic definition of marketing.

Elf Sandy: Indeed, you don’t have to sell something to need a marketing department.

JSW: So you’re saying any kind of real skill is something that Santa likely needs?

Elf Sandy: I’m saying exactly that. He needs skills from all over, in all lands, in every language and from every kind of believer.

JSW: My mind is blown.

Elf Sandy: LOL, yes! I get it.

JSW: So, if someone does want to become an elf to work in Santa’s workshop, all they have to do is learn the code, take the oath and apply for it?

Elf Sandy: Well, kinda. Santa would need some job openings in the workshop first. It’s like anywhere else. We need to hire where there are needs. There’s quite a backlog of candidates for Santa’s workshop.

JSW: So, okay – what does Santa need?

Elf Sandy: Well, first of all, understand that Santa knows a lot of people out there want to be elves. So if you become an elf part of our application process includes where you can state what your skills are and what you want to do as an elf. We work really hard to place people where they can succeed.

JSW: Okay…but I’m guessing that’s not always possible.

Elf Sandy: Exactly. Sometimes Santa has needs that goes unfulfilled because he cannot find elves to fill those needs. So our job is to help make things happen for both elves and Santa. Applicants can be put to work TODAY if they are willing to take the jobs Santa offers. If they’d rather, say, want to work a glue gun for production for Santa because that’s what they prefer, it might take a while to place that applicant.

JSW: I would think the allure of just being an elf would be enough for many people.

Elf Sandy: Yes, of course. It looks great on a resume! Most elves begin in jobs that are not their eventual dream destination in working for Santa.

JSW: This all sounds vaguely…um, normal.

Elf Sandy: Yes, such is life. I’m a good example. I became an elf because I use to drive a bus. Well, Santa didn’t need bus drivers but he did need some help in the Department of Elf Resources. And here I am. I love my elf job.

JSW: Ok, so…it doesn’t matter then, right?

Elf Sandy: Right. If you truly live by the code, it doesn’t matter what you do to help Santa out.

JSW: Ok, so why are we here talking about this. What’s the real reason you’re here?

Elf Sandy: Well, Santa announced this week a need for a lot of elves. A huge amount of elves – 200 million elves in fact. I’m here to help spur the effort of filling those positions.

JSW: Wow, that’s quite the recruitment goal.

Elf Sandy: Yes, Santa stunned people with that number, for sure.

JSW: He has to have something special in mind if he needs that many.

Elf Sandy: He does. We call it the tracker elf program, and it is in it’s 5th year. Santa wants elves to track Santa for Santa.

JSW: Yes, we’ve heard of this before. It’s not unfamiliar to us. These are elves who work remotely for Santa, right?

Elf Sandy: Yes, that’s part of their appeal to the North Pole. They are working for Santa right where they live. Their job is to report local conditions to the North Pole to help ensure Santa has a safe and speedy flight.

JSW: Yes, as I understand it millions of people have become elves in this effort over the past several years.

Elf Sandy: Yes, and this year we need a total of 200 million in these positions.

JSW: Why so many?

Elf Sandy: Well, it’s been an effective program. The past four Christmases have just been phenomenal for Santa because of this program.

JSW: Why is this year different?

Elf Sandy: Because Santa says he needs to expand the base of expertise in the tracker program. We have had great support but this is the year to really grow it. He thinks that the next generation of North Pole elves will come from the ranks of tracker elves.

JSW: So the tracker elf program is kind of like a launching off point for someone wanting an elf career.

Elf Sandy: Exactly.

JSW: Okay, so who is Santa targeting by this effort?

Elf Sandy: Well, everyone everywhere – that’s what he told me. He especially wants older elves, folks with experience in other industries and jobs. You see, anyone can be an elf. And anyone can track Santa. So he thinks this is the doorway to expand the overall elf workforce.

JSW: That’s brilliant.

Elf Sandy: It really is. Every one is a tracker on Christmas Eve. Santa always says that. And he’s right. So you might as well become an elf and put yourself in the Service of Santa.

JSW: What’s it take to do this?

Elf Sandy: Well, you begin at ElfHQ.com – there you learn the code, take the oath and sign up to be an elf. Once you have completed that, you head to where the biggest hiring is going on.

JSW: Where’s that?

Elf Sandy: At SantaTrackers.net. There you can apply to become a Santa Tracker Elf. It’s work you can learn between now and Christmas and it is work you can do remotely – right from your own home. It doesn’t take a lot of time and it is easy to learn.

JSW: How many have done this the past few years?

Elf Sandy: We closed last year with about 55 million tracker elves worldwide.

JSW: And Santa wants to expand that by another 150 million this year?

Elf Sandy: Correct. Big recruiting and training job. But this is the year of the program Santa himself has been working on. He is counting on getting new elves of all ages and levels of expertise.

JSW: What if someone doesn’t want to become a tracker elf?

Elf Sandy: Well, there are other jobs available. But right now this is the on-ramp to elfdom. If you wanna be an elf, this is the fastest and easiest way.

JSW: Are there different kinds of tracker elves?

Elf Sandy: Well, there are many kinds of jobs that tracker elves can apply for. It’s not just as a tracker. We need City Captains and State Representatives. We need reporter elves, and podcast elves, and recruiter elves. There are all kinds of jobs and they are posted at SantaTrackers.net

JSW: Elf Sandy, thank you for explaining this to us today. Very enlightening.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image