Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Bittersweet Christmas memories

Discussion in 'Home & Family' started by Moley, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Moley

Moley Reindeer Pooper Scooper Merry Forums Member

If this is the wrong place for this thread, please move it, and let me know where.

The House of Fraser department store has been a fixture of my home town for longer than I've been alive: It was the place I was taken as a child to see the festive displays and meet Father Christmas. Now it would appear last Christmas may have been its last one as it is due to close early next year, although it may not survive even that long as some creditors may balk at an agreement which could save part of the company but leave them taking a financial hit. Walking past recently I noticed the big Clearance Sale posters in the windows and felt as if a part of my Christmas past was dying.

2. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

Awe!! Sorry to hear that! It's hard when something we associate so much with Christmas is taken away! Good memories though! :(

HollyJolly and snowflake22 like this.
  3. Moley

Yes, we have to cope, but also hold on to those warm and fuzzy memories.

HollyJolly, Holiday and snowflake22 like this.
  4. Moley

The 'good' news is HoF should be able to stay open until early 2019, but I wonder what sort of atmosphere there will be for the final Christmas? Or how much would be invested in the festive displays?

And on a related note, it appears Poundworld are closing down, so no more £1 Christmas decorations there.

HollyJolly and Holiday like this.
  5. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

I know, it’s rough. With Sears closing down, there is no more Christmas Wish Book. When I was a kid I would fold over the pages of what I wanted. Then as an adult, I started going to Sears to get the Wish Book in September. It was the beginning of MY Christmas season. My kids then took over folding the page corners as I previously did. I couldn’t believe how much it bothered me the first year there was no more Wish Book.

6. Moley

At least we still have the Argos wish book, though there was a trial in some areas of not issuing them and going fully website only. Fortunately consumer kickback put an end to those plans for the time being.

Old wish books can still be found online at sites such as retromash.com

http://retromash.com/argos/

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  7. Ornamentmaven

Ornamentmaven Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class Merry Forums Member

The year my Aunt Nora passed away on Christmas morning. When my Uncle woke up, he found her under the Christmas tree. She was only 46. Very sad. Christmas has never been the same for her children.

8. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

Pound land is still going though and their decs can be a little better although I suppose it depends on the branch.

9. Festive Spirit

It is tough seeing so many chains having to close or downsize. I can completely understand how you feel. It's true, knowing it will be the last Christmas there may have an underlying sadness but at least you get the chance for one more so you can treasure a final memory. Hopefully you can travel sometime to one that will still be open. I think a few will remain operating.

10. Moley

Unfortunately the whole company is under threat once more with the collapse of one rescue deal, and a possible legal case from a consortium of landlords. Another rescue may be possible, but it can't be good for the staff not knowing where they stand from week to week.

Poundland are OK as far as Christmas decs are concerned, but I preferred it when they faced competition from the 99p Store (now absorbed by Poundland) and the now closed Poundworld.

11. Moley

An update on the story. HoF went into administration, but were immediately bought by the Sports Direct group. At present the stores remain open, but there is uncertainty about whether the previous closure plans will be implemented or what future Sports Direct sees for the business.

12. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Talk Alum

Oh my goodness, I can’t even imagine. My uncle and grandmother passed away in December and that was difficult enough.

13. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

So tragic & so young! I'm sure that's difficult! (((Hugs)))

HollyJolly and Christmasplease like this.
  14. Ornamentmaven

Ornamentmaven Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class Merry Forums Member

My grandmother also passed away a few days before Christmas, but she had lived a long and productive life and it was not a surprise. One good thing did happen as a result. My Uncle Bob, who had flown in from Colorado, was able to spend Christmas with us for the first time in 40+ years.

HollyJolly likes this.
  15. Moley

Sadly the store's closure has been confirmed for January next year. This will be the last, poignant Christmas.

HollyJolly likes this.
  16. Festive Spirit

Sorry Moley. I heard the news a couple days ago. I am glad you will at least get one last Christmas before they go.

HollyJolly likes this.
  17. Moley

I visited it last weekend. Though there were small lighted Christmas trees ditted about about and single colour curtain lights in the upper windows, there was no sign of any grotto this year. The ambiance of the store was more TK Maxx than House of Fraser. It was all rather deoressing.

18. Nash

Nash Elf Supervisor MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Moley , yes I agree with your posts back in my childhood i used to really look forward to visiting santas grotto in the big department store (for me it was Lewis,s in Birmingham with my Gran ) those days are long gone with the demise of the big department store , BUT i find a new place to fill me with Christmas joy come November , GARDEN CENTRE, the big ones do a cracking job these day and make it an event when the Christmas decs , lights n trees go on sale , its deff a diary moment in our house and a lot of houses i think as forst day of Christmas display is always packed

19. Moley

Will it ever end? NNow the local Wyevale Garden Centre is due to close in early August. Though their Christmas displays were nowhere near as extensive as the Keydell Garden Centre they were still heartening to see, but sadly no more.

20. Lynn68

Lynn68 Santa Clausologist MMC Lifer

Oh my gosh, that's so sad! I'm so sorry for your uncle and the children.