Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Caroling

Discussion in 'Traditions & Memories' started by Jeff Westover, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Jeff Westover

Jeff Westover Chief Santa Tracker MMC Founder Santa's Elf Kringle Radio DJ

In researching a new feature about Christmas Caroling we're learning that not many people seem to be doing this anymore. Do any of you have a long standing tradition in your family or community of caroling?

Jeff

2. Smemorina

Smemorina Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

:-( Please I do not know to understand the translation of "Caroling" you help me?
    Thanks
    CIAOOOO

3. sheepsnot

sheepsnot Guest

The teenagers at our church have gone every year to a local old folks home and "carolled." The meaning of CAROLLING is to go about in a group singing Christmas songs, such as Gesù Bambino 'l È Nato. (I am not that smart. I found that song on the internet! Rarely do you find a song about Jesus and NATO.) :wink:

4. Saxomaphone

Saxomaphone Tinsel Straightener Merry Forums Member

I don't go caroling, but we do sing a lot at home.

5. AuntieMistletoeDear

AuntieMistletoeDear MMC Hostess of Christmas Online MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

[​IMG] [​IMG]

We enjoyed carolling and having carollers stop by the first three weeks in Decemeber. That is when I was growing up and my neighbours were neighbourly. That isn't always the case these days.

We used to get together with a group of my parents friends and their children and we would go carolling to raise money for the Santa Fund. I used to get excited when carollers would come to our door. I'd rummage through my coat pocket in the closet or dash upstairs and check my piggy bank. I'm sure I only gave them silver coins, but I felt like I was thanking them for brightening my day. (Anybody who attempts to sing Silent Night and hits that high "Peace" note deserves some reward.) Sometimes my mom would come to the door too and they would get more out of her.

When I was in High School I was in a Puppet Troop called, Smile Inc. and we put on Christmas puppet shows with Muppet Style Puppets we made out of polyfoam. I was the voice of Santa and one of the elves. We took the puppets and one person dressed up as an Elf (costume from a school play) and we went carolling. There were six of us in that group. We made hundreds of dollars and covered three or four miles of houses.

:( I haven't had a knock on the door from carollers in fifteen years, nor have I knocked on anyone else's door. (Likely a good thing, since I don't sing all that well.)

6. McDLT

McDLT Guest

Carolling - going out singing Christmas songs and hymns - sometimes door-to-door, sometimes standing on a street corner.

My old church used to go singing door-to-door and then end up at the lcoal Nursing Home. We had an awesome time!

7. Smemorina

Smemorina Twinkle Light Checker Merry Forums Member

:grin:
    Thanks hour I have understood, I had imagined but I was not sure, now yes!
    :)

8. Ervserver

Ervserver Guest

every year a group of us from work go caroling at a local senior home. Good thing many of the residents are hearing impaired.

:cool:

9. mrshamm

mrshamm MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

We go caroling with a group from our church. When I used to be apart of several different vocal groups that would go caroling.

10. MarthaK

MarthaK Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

Carolling is not a family tradition for me, but something the church's youth group did. (granted, my family wasn't musical and we lived out in the country so walking from house to house wasn't an option).

However, in the past two years of living in an established subdivision I have had carollers come by. One was a church group, the other was a large family of home schooled neighbor kids who I just adore.

I'm wondering what I should do this year -- have on hand to serve them -- to encourage them to come back the next year.

11. sheepsnot

sheepsnot Guest

We lived out in the country, too, but not that far. It was just over a quarter of a mile to our neighbor's house in either direction. We usually made it to about two neighbors before I started to hallucinate and we headed home.

12. caseydbell

caseydbell MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

No :( I would love 2 though it seems like it would be loads of fun

13. Ervserver

Ervserver Guest

manure runoff in the drinking water?

14. sheepsnot

sheepsnot Guest

I'm gonna get fired for sure if you don't cut that out! I meant from freezing to death. (Sidenote, why does my profile keep changing my preferences? I don't want to be notified each time someone replies, but it keeps changing my selection back to yes.)

15. Ervserver

Ervserver Guest

dern....sounds like a website issue...who is in charge around here..where is the official complaint box?

16. dvdelf

dvdelf MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Sure sounds like it was spiked. Sure it was water? Not moonshine

17. sheepsnot

sheepsnot Guest

I...hic! I...hic! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

18. dvdelf

dvdelf MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

reveneuers!

Again

19. Christy Carol

Christy Carol Sugar Cookie Tester MMC Lifer

I think I have only been "caroled" one time and that was a few years back. We were having Christmas Eve supper with my grandfolks and some of their church members came by and sang a few songs and gave them a fruit basket. I think they were only going to fellow members houses but I thought it was really nice. I have always been out in the country so most people don't carol that far out.

20. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Chestnut Roaster Merry Forums Member

One of the shopping malls here have carolers walking throughout the mall at various times during the holidays, caroling away. Its great!

:rudolph: