Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cats and Christmas

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Christmasplease, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class MMC Lifer MMC Premiere Member Christmas Talk Alum

Hello everyone.

This is Myles, my new kitten. Well he is now six months old and wreaking havoc in my house. I am petrified of the thoughts of what he may do to my Christmas tree this year. Does anyone have any advice? IMG_6618.JPG

NutmegNan, Minta, Martine and 2 others like this.
  2. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor Louann Jeffries Award

Myles looks like he's already plotting his havoc ...

Keep breakable ornaments and heirlooms well above the lower branches and out of reach. Garland may be too much of a temptation, so you might want to go without. Icicles are a big no-no, at least where Myles can reach them---my grandparents' big fat ol' cat used to EAT them, with unforeseen results. Hope real hard that Myles isn't the kind that climbs up into trees! You might Google for tips, as well.

I had a friend who used an artificial tree. Each year, when it was still in pieces, she'd chase her cats around the house with the branches. It seemed to discourage them from exploring the tree further.

Good luck! Let us know how you do, and post more pix of Myles. There are a LOT of pet lovers here!

Minta and Holiday like this.
  3. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

Oh my goodness! I just have to say Myles is very handsome!! And he does look ornery!! ♥ :D :p

Minta and Christmasplease like this.
  4. Christmasplease

Christmasplease Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class MMC Lifer MMC Premiere Member Christmas Talk Alum

IMG_6599.JPG
    Thank you MerryCarey.
    I have an artificial tree but the beaches don't come off. I'll try and find a creative way to deter him. I will also google. I have never had a kitten so this has been quite an adventure. The picture you see is EXACRLY Myles! The pic attached is Myles and my toy poodle, Samson. They are best friends. Myles sits in the gazebo in the backyard with Samson but he has to have a harness so he doesn't take off.

5. Christmasplease

And then there's Samson! Cats and dogs are sooooooo different. IMG_4836.JPG

6. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor Louann Jeffries Award

Myles looks like a Himalayan ... years ago my family had a Himalayan/Siamese mix, and my mom re-homed him because he was nuts about climbing and chewing. I very much hope that Myles has different genes! I always thought it was the Siamese mix that made him crazy, because another time we had a pure Himalayan who was very little trouble.

I wonder if it's worth putting up a little Halloween tree somewhere just to gauge Myles' reaction and help you plan before you decorate for Christmas? Also, think of up a Plan B for any decoration scheme in case it comes under feline domination!

7. MerryCarey

Why am I thinking of Garfield and Odie? :)

8. Christmasplease

He is a Balinese, long haired, Siamese. I got him because they are better for allergies. He's handsome but, oh my gosh!!!!

I think I will start with my granddaughters 4 foot pink Christmas tree. My family already think I'm insane because I decorate first week of Nov., but at least now I have an excuse.

Samson and Myles are like Garfield and Odie but Samson is smarter than Odie. :)

Minta, MerryCarey and Holiday like this.
  9. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

Thank you for sharing pictures. Cuteness overload!!! ♥ ♥ Samson & Myles!

Minta and Christmasplease like this.
  10. Christmasplease

Than you Holiday. They truly are lovely fur babies. Naughtiness aside!

11. Martine

Martine Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

What a gorgeous kitty! And an adorable dog. I love when animals are friends. My dog used to play with low-hanging ornaments and garlands when he was little but he seems to have outgrown it now.

Minta, Holiday and Christmasplease like this.
  12. Christmasplease

This should be a very interesting Christmas!

13. novelist

novelist Mistletoeologist MMC Lifer

Our cat Oliver is pretty good with the Christmas tree. He is now 7, but when he was younger, he loved sitting under the Christmas tree before any presents were under it. Even now, Oliver doesn't bother the tree much. A couple years ago, he swatted a few cloth type ornaments that were the lowest on the tree. Those ornaments, fell on the rug, and he would hit them around, like one of his toys. I stopped putting ornaments low on the tree, and last year, I don't remember Oliver bothering the tree. I cant wait to see how it will be this year.

Minta, Christmasplease and Holiday like this.
  14. RetroChristmasCardCompany

RetroChristmasCardCompany Christmas Fan MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

15. MandyKessler

MandyKessler Christmas Fan MMC Member

I've got one pro-tip for avoiding catlateral damage :p get an easter egg and fill it with a few pennies and put a piece of tape around the edge. The first time you catch Myles doing something bad toss the egg so that it lands NEAR him (NEVER hit him with it of course) and gives him a little spook as you firmly say "No!" After one or two tosses he'll start to associate that sound with a spook and a spook with the word no! For the most part he'll probably understand what No means from then on, but I keep the egg handy in case that doesn't get the point across. This is a great way to stop them from scratching up carpets or furniture too!

16. Minta

Minta Charles Dickens' Editor Christmas Crew MMC Lifer

Keep a water bottle near by and of he gets too close to the tree spray him with water. And for those times when you are not home it might be a good idea to anchor the tree to the wall using fishing line. Just incase he does climb up it won't tip over.

Holiday and Christmasplease like this.
  17. sugarmuffin25

sugarmuffin25 Christmas Fanatic MMC Premiere Member MMC Member

We have 5 cats, including our two newest kittens that we adopted in August: Treacle and Stormy. Our other 3 are ages 8, 6, and 2. We have dealt with this for years and have a few good ways to keep them away from the tree. (However, I put up 5 trees each year so it gets a bit more expensive for me!) First, I try and make sure that I have enough presents already wrapped and purchased so I can stuff them under the tree to create a barrier under there to keep them out. You can even wrap up some empty boxes to stick under there, it will add to the festiveness of the tree! Next, we purchased two things from Amazon that some people may disagree with but they are lifesavers in my house! First is a motion detected air can. Place it under the tree and if the cat walks anywhere around it and sets it off, it produces a strong puff of air and a loud sound. The cats do NOT like it, and after a time or two they leave the tree alone (and it is kinda entertaining to watch.) The next has been my go to for years: a scat mat. A clear plastic mat that takes batteries (mine is a half circle so it fits around most of the base of the tree.) If the cat steps on it they will get a tiny shock (very tiny, but enough that they only do it once.) Each of my adult cats when they see the mat they steer clear of that area. I'm hoping the kittens will do the same! It has saved our tree every year!

18. Christmasplease

Thank you!!!!!

Holiday likes this.
  19. Christmasplease

Thank you everyone!

Holiday likes this.
  20. Christmasplease

Well, I will be standing the tree up by the end of Oct., just to sit for a while, to see how Myles reacts. No ornies til Nov.

Holiday likes this.