Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Celebrating Christmas in the UK

Discussion in 'Christmas Around the World' started by Festive Spirit, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit Christmas Royalty MMC Lifer

Celebrating Christmas in the UK??

Hello !:dance:

I just thought it might be nice to start a thread for those of us celebrating Christmas in the UK. Everyone is welcome ofcourse ,regardless of where you are from!

I am in the North West of England. Where is everyone else from??

I noticed the dates for the Christmas Markets the other day and got all excited! Do you all go to any?

Looking forward to meeting you all..........

5 people like this.
  2. Festive Spirit

Also it's been confirmed that Movies 24 will become Christmas24 from November 12th to Jan 05th showing Christmas movies around the clock.

If anyone else has any info to add then please do........

2 people like this.
  3. Undrtakr

Undrtakr Official button pusher! MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

Welcome! Always nice to see new faces here.

Here in London Ontario Canada we don't have Christmas markets. But we do have a 24/7 small Christmas store. Its nice to visit and has a Santa on the roof at all times.

2 people like this.
  4. Festive Spirit

Wow a 24/7 Christmas Store! Thats sounds awesome!

The Christmas Markets are a tradition here. There are various stalls with handmade crafts and ornaments , food, sweet treats ,continental cheeses and sausages, christmas trees and delicious festive drinks along with lots of other things too. There is always lots of christmas music in the background and it's always so christmassy!!
    :dance:

3 people like this.
  5. Maureen

Maureen Merry Forums Super Administrator Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa Louann Jeffries Award

Hey! I live in Scotland (Canadian but it's a long story!) I think the Christmas markets are a regional thing because they aren't huge up here. There's a big German one in Edinburgh but that's about it.

True Movies just had a weekend of Christmas movies to get us in the mood, so to speak, and QVC also had a Christmas weekend.

My son was in London the other day and took pictures of the Harrods Christmas display so it's all starting!!!!!!!!

Glad you've joined us!

3 people like this.
  6. Maureen

Maureen Merry Forums Super Administrator Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa Louann Jeffries Award

There's quite a lot here from the UK so you'll fit right in!!!

2 people like this.
  7. Leighlansmummyx

Leighlansmummyx Tinsel Straightener MMC Member

im in the west midlands :) i work for Asda & theyve got all the tins of chocolates in & christmassy candles in :) i bought some christmassy candles on friday & got them lit now ... x

2 people like this.
  8. Olly

Olly Merry Forums Newbie MMC Member

I'm from England. I went to a Christmas market about six years ago, but haven't been to one since. This thread has definitely inspired me to go to one (or a few cheesy) this year though :D

2 people like this.
  9. Festive Spirit

Ohhh no I didn't know about that True Movies Christmas Weekend. It's not a channel I watch so I had no idea! Oh wow I bet the Harrods display is amazing !

1 person likes this.
  10. Festive Spirit

I'll have to pick up some candles ! I bet it is getting really busy at your work now with all the christmas stock as well as Halloween stock coming in!

1 person likes this.
  11. Festive Spirit

Hi Olly, I hope you get the chance to go to a christmas market this year. I have only been to the same one every year in my city but there are a few scattered throughout the country.

1 person likes this.
  12. Festive Spirit

Today I saw my first christmas advert of the season!!! It was a DFS commercial with Elves and music!!!!

I also read that Movies24 will become Christmas24 (round the clock christmas movies) on Nov 03 instead of Nov 12th!!!! Thats just under 3 weeks away!!!

''..it's beginning to look alot like christmas..........''

2 people like this.
  13. Maureen

I saw the commercial about Christmas 24 last night!!!!!!!!!!

I hope they have a few different movies this year though because last year it seems like they were all on a loop

We've booked our Christmas night out (the office one) for Friday Dec. 21st. Looking forward to it - maybe because I finish on December 7th and don't go back until January!!!!!!

Are you taking part in the card exchange???

2 people like this.
  14. Festive Spirit

Yes I know what you mean about the movies being repeated , I guess they have no choice with it being 24/7. Anyway I read that they have a few new ones to add this year so that will be great!

I would have loved to take part in the card exchange but I am not a platinum member.

How wonderful to have all that time off over christmas!!

1 person likes this.
  15. whychristmas

whychristmas Webmaster Partner, <a href="http://www.whychristma Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Partner

I'm from sunny (or actually mainly cloudy!) Somerset :)

I saw that DFS commercial a few mins ago! Be interesting to see just how many UK folks we've got on here - I think it's quite a few...

2 people like this.
  16. 'Tis the season

'Tis the season Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer MMC Donor

Did anyone see the countdown to Christmas on qvc UK? (24th) Only seen the last hour myself but it looked good. Good news on the movie front, thanks for the info. Hopefully getting a new tv soon as ni just completed the switch over to digital and our old one isn't great. So that means Christmas movies on a bigger screen :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

2 people like this.
  17. Christmasstar

Christmasstar one Crazy Canadian ! MMC Lifer

actually there is a great one in Kitchener, very easy to get to is on King street right downtown (go hiway 8 north off 401, that turns into King Street, just keep going until you see the signs)
    http://www.christkindl.ca/
    We go every year, love it!

1 person likes this.
  18. kathrynfell

kathrynfell MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

I'm in wales :)

Sorry Ive not posted in a very time, Im in wales, uk and determined to have a 'christmassy christmas' this year :) hope everyone are well Kathryn x

1 person likes this.
  19. usafvet

usafvet Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class MMC Lifer

I’ve always been intrigued with various Christmas traditions in the UK. My wife and I always joke that we need to trade places with someone for Christmas (like that Holiday movie) and visit the UK, experiencing what that culture has to offer that is different from ours in the United States.

20. shellie12

shellie12 North Pole Resident MMC Lifer

Yip they seem to have differance ones premiers they call them lol
    they are on each sat and sunday 3pm to 6 pm and i have checked it out and yes they seem to be ones that i have never heard of
    check out moves 24+ they have some good ones to and true entertaiment as well